SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Sparkles in the Mist

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
roadsign

Sparkles in the Mist

Recently one morning I looked out my window and saw a magnificent drama arise out of the night’s heavy deposit of dew. Misty droplets on the tree branches had transformed into miniature prisms reflecting the rising sun’s rays. The tiny droplets flickered in an ever-changing array of colors. I stood there, mesmerized by the beauty of the twinkling sparkles of light.

Suddenly I felt no need to press on toward the day’s duties. It was a sacred moment – a moment to stand still, or rather, to BE still. As I reflect on this experience, I realize how we can become so conditioned to speed on through daily life that we forget how to stand still, I mean, BE still – still enough to cherish the blessings in the moment.

When our life becomes mostly about where we are headed next, we are in danger of never living fully and truly. We are constantly trying to live in what does not yet exist. But while we are speeding ahead in the fast lane we can never enjoy the subtle blessings immediately before us – such as the flickering sparkles in the tree.

It is God himself who gave us the expressions of beauty, and he has given us the capacity to enjoy them - for our benefit. We harm ourselves when we push ahead day after day, pressed down by heavy and burdensome loads, and blinded to what’s around us. Such self-flagellation is never a way we honour God’s gifts of grace. But it is a constant temptation. Thankfully God has provided countless release valves every day – escape hatches, through which we can be revived in our inner being.

This may seem too simplistic, not spiritual enough. It may seem selfish or demeaning to our high calling. But, in actuality, when we receive God’s miniature gifts with thanksgiving and joy, we honor him as our provider and as Creator. It is a way we love God. It is also a way we take care of our bodies and minds. And that is not evil! During his tortuous imprisonment and persecution Richard Wurmbrand found refreshment watching a spider.

By nurturing our capacity to BE still, to reflect on the small gifts in life, we also become fit for our calling to love others. As we learn to be still in our minds we become able to sense what’s happening with others - their own quiet heart-beat – their joys, aspirations, and fears. And then we can respond in love for who they are in that moment.

Who would think that the Great Commandment - the grand sum of all of God’s laws: to love God, others, and ourselves, involves such elementary “duties” as enjoying a spider or a water droplet?

Diane

PS This is a revised/corrected version from the original post.

2012/5/3 8:54Profile

Re: Sparkles in the Mist

Thank you Diane for those words and experience.

Lately I have been working more hours than I can bare. It's a family business and when one member leaves and then another for health reasons the load becomes more. I hear the Lord say to rest these weary bones and I have a few hours in the afternoon that I hear Him beckoning for my own good to take a nap on the couch and be refreshed. While I am there, I will look for my spider.

2012/5/3 9:19
roadsign

Re:

Quote:
While I am there, I will look for my spider.

Approved, may God refresh you with gentle words of grace – even as you enjoy the spider he may put before you. Or perhaps he will draw your attention to an intricate web outside your window, all covered with dew.

Diane

2012/5/4 6:11Profile
Trekker

northern USA

Re: Sparkles in the Mist

QUOTE: "This may seem too simplistic, not spiritual enough. It may seem selfish. We may be tempted to feel guilty or demeaning to our high calling. But in actuality, when we receive God’s miniature gifts with thanksgiving and joy, we honor him as our provider and as Creator."==DIANE/akaROADSIGN

What a beautiful statement. Wow. There is SO much meat in that one sentence: "But in actuality when we receive God's miniature gifts with thanksgiving and joy we honor Him as our provider and Creator."

I luv it. The entire post is wonderful. It reminds me of this one little organic strawberry i bit into several years ago that was so juicy and sweet and bursting with the most outstanding, heavenly flavor. In that one bite at that moment i realized the love and care of God for His creation...that He cared that we have good and pleasant things to eat on the earth. Miniature gifts....

2012/5/4 9:44Profile
roadsign

Re:

Quote:
juicy and sweet and bursting with the most outstanding, heavenly flavor

Praise God for the strawberry – and the means of expressing the delight …. as in these words themselves.
(by the way, I revised my original post because of its literary defects.)

The sparkling droplets got me thinking about God’s quiet ways with humanity. To see God’s touch, you must be still and watch carefully.

We have become so accustomed to seeing the blatant, the grandiose, the spectacular, the broad-sweeping, fast pace, big names, big disasters, etc …. that we may have become desensitized to God’s continuous hints of beauty and miracles - his glory scattered here and there.

A question: Might revival not work that way? No big splash, no big grand event …. just God quietly touching down as water droplets in countless thirsty souls scattered throughout civilization.

Diane

2012/5/4 12:31Profile
HeartSong

Re:

"A question: Might revival not work that way? No big splash, no big grand event …. just God quietly touching down as water droplets in countless thirsty souls scattered throughout civilization."

Like the dew that watered the grass before the flood?

God bless you Diane!

2012/5/4 15:53Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy