SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Ask Jesus into your heart?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
Lovefirst

Lake Charles, LA

Ask Jesus into your heart?

Is this biblical? Did the Apostle's of Christ gain converts by this method? Do you think this is how people come to Jesus and are lead to repentance? This is very disturbing.

2012/4/29 15:26Profile
rbanks

Re: Ask Jesus into your heart?

Maybe you could tell us why this bothers you so much but maybe you could pray about it first and make sure that the spirit of Jesus is preceding from your heart when you say whatever it is that you feel you need to say.

Blessings...from brother rbanks

2012/4/29 15:45Profile

How is this 'very' disturbing?

There is to be a receiving and/or acceptance, it's an acknowledgement of needing God and God needing man. Yes, God needs man. There is a component in man that God created that is attractive to God and God is drawn to man and man is drawn to God by His goodness and it's for this reason why men drop to their knees and receive Him or accept Him into their heart.

John 1:12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:

We must not look down on the wording as to how someone has come to Christ. Even now, young converts are looking in and seeing this, they believed on the Lord Jesus Christ and have "asked Jesus into their heart" may be in doubt of their experience to which I say to you now young believer, do not doubt. If you have sincerely renounced your past sins and received Christ into your life than you are just as much a believer as anyone here.

Paul yelled out to the jailer who was about to kill himself that if he would just believe on the Lord Jesus Christ he would be saved.

The first gentiles to whom Peter preached gave no indication of any words expressed for their salvation, it says "as they heard the word, the holy Ghost fell on all of them". The conclusion to that was, as they were hearing, faith ignited in their heart and believed what they were hearing and God just deposited His Spirit in the whole lot.

2012/4/29 15:55
Lovefirst

Lake Charles, LA

Re:

It was an honest question, no agenda. Thank you for your explination.

2012/4/29 16:21Profile
RobertW

Independence, Missouri

Re:

About twelve years into his ministry, Paul went before King Agrippa to give an account. What Paul tells him is a summary of his ministry up until this time. Paul testified, “Therefore, King Agrippa, I was not disobedient to the heavenly vision, but declared first to those in Damascus and in Jerusalem, and throughout all the region of Judea, and then to the Gentiles, that they should repent, turn to God, and do works befitting repentance.” (Acts 26:19, 20.)

This is essentially the message of John the Baptist. In modern times repentance is often marginalized, but not for Paul. The renowned 19th century Greek scholar A.T. Robertson commented on this passage, “Paul, the greatest of theologians, was an interesting practical preacher.” That is a way of saying that Paul, the greatest theologian, preached that all men should repent, turn to God, and do works befitting repentance. This was how one responded to the Gospel. We also have the addition of water baptism and the receiving of the Holy Spirit.

The crusades of the early 20th Century changed drastically how the Gospel is preached and how folks respond the message. For those interested there are some insightful points in this old thread.

https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic_id=9750&forum=40&start=60&viewmode=flat&order=1

2012/4/29 16:24Profile
Lovefirst

Lake Charles, LA

Re:

Quote:
he crusades of the early 20th Century changed drastically how the Gospel is preached and how folks respond the message. For those interested there are some insightful points in this old thread.

https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic_id=9750&forum=40&start=60&viewmode=flat&order=1

Very good thread. Huge amount of insight. My concern comes from my experience of having God come into my life and point me to Himself. I did not do it by asking God through prayer to come into my heart, seems like this method can be taken advantage of. My experience was that God had me in His grip and really already decided, I just followed.

2012/4/29 18:08Profile
murrcolr

Scotland, UK

Then is the other ditch which just as disturbing trying to show works after conversion in your own strength...

2012/4/30 14:41Profile

Re:

Being saved is not a formula. It's not an incantation. According to scripture God draws us unto Himself. He sheds His love upon us... and regenerates our hearts. God enables us to make the decision to follow Him. Yes, we do make a choice, but only after God has enabled us to make that choice. Before that moment we were dead... dead as a doornail, and Dickens would say. A dead man is not able to revive himself. Only God can. And God does. He puts life in your heart of hearts and raises you out of spiritual deadness. You had a choice before regeneration, but because you were dead in your sin the only choice you could make was sin and death.

God replaces your heart of stone with a soft heart of flesh, enabled by Him to choose LIFE!

You did not choose God, He chose you.... and changed your heart.

Praying a prayer like that can only mean anything when it comes from a heart touched by God. It's not something that can be conjured up by you. If it is not the result of a heart touched by God then all it is words... and it's meaningless.

Krispy

2012/4/30 15:42
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

This does not make me a Calvinist, but does speak to Faith and Repentance clearly of scripture.

John Calvin's Verse Commentary
Acts 20:21

"""Repentance toward God. We must first note the distinction of faith and repentance, which some do falsely and unskillfully confound, saying, that repentance is a part of faith. I grant, indeed, that they cannot be separate; because God doth illuminate no man with the Spirit of faith whom he doth not also regenerate unto newness of life. Yet they must needs be distinguished, as Paul doth in this place. For repentance is a turning unto God, when we frame ourselves and all our life to obey him; but faith is a receiving of the grace offered us in Christ. For all religion tendeth to this end, that, embracing holiness and righteousness, we serve the Lord purely, also that we seek no part of our salvation anywhere else save only at his hands, and that we seek salvation in Christ alone. Therefore, the doctrine of repentance containeth a rule of good life; it requireth the denial of ourselves, the mortifying of our flesh, and meditating upon the heavenly life. But because we be all naturally corrupt, strangers from righteousness, and turned away from God himself. Again, because we fly from God, because we know that he is displeased with us, the means, as well to obtain free reconciliation as newness of life, must be set before us.

Therefore, unless faith be added, it is in vain to speak of repentance; yea, those teachers of repentance who, neglecting faith, stand only upon the framing of life, and precepts of good works, differ nothing, or very little from profane philosophers. They teach how men must live; but, forasmuch as they leave men in their nature, there can no bettering be hoped for thence, until they invite those who are lost unto hope of salvation; until they quicken the dead, promising forgiveness of sins; until they show that God doth, by his free adoption, take those for his children who were before bond-slaves of Satan; until they teach that the Spirit of regeneration must be begged at the hands of the heavenly Father, that we must draw godliness, righteousness, and goodness, from him who is the fountain of all good things. And hereupon followeth calling upon God, which is the chiefest thing in the worship of God.

We see now how that repentance and faith are so linked together that they cannot be separate. For it is faith which reconcileth God to us, not only that he may be favorable unto us, by acquitting us of the guiltiness of death, by not imputing to us our sins, but also that by purging the filthiness of our flesh by his Spirit, he may fashion us again after his own image. He doth not, therefore, name repentance in the former place, as if it did wholly go before faith, forasmuch as a part thereof proceedeth from faith, and is an effect thereof; but because the beginning of repentance is a preparation unto faith. I call the displeasing of ourselves the beginning, which doth enforce us, after we be thoroughly touched with the fear of the wrath of God, to seek some remedy.

Faith toward Christ. It is not without cause that the Scripture doth everywhere make Christ the mark whereat our faith must aim, and as they say commonly, set him before us as the object. For the majesty of God is of itself higher than that men can climb thereunto. Therefore, unless Christ come between, all our senses do vanish away in seeking God. Again, inasmuch as he is the Judge of the world, it must needs be that the beholding of him without Christ shall make us afraid. 1 But God doth not only represent himself unto us in Christ’s image, but also refresh us with his Fatherly favor, and by all means restore us to life. For there is no part of our salvation which may not be found in Christ. By the sacrifice of his death he hath purged our sins; he hath suffered the punishment that he might acquit us; he hath made us clean by his blood; by his obedience he hath appeased his Father’s wrath; by his resurrection he hath purchased righteousness for us. No marvel, therefore, if we said, that faith must be fixed 2 in the beholding of Christ.

1. “Nos terrore exanimet,” make us dead with terror.

2. “Prorsus esse defixam,” must be wholly fixed."""

Clear and precise;

Galatians 2:16-21 Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified. But if, while we seek to be justified by Christ, we ourselves also are found sinners, is therefore Christ the minister of sin? God forbid. For if I build again the things which I destroyed, I make myself a transgressor. For I through the law am dead to the law, that I might live unto God. I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me. I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in VAIN.

Amen; Faith, turning me to God's Heavenly Kingdom and teaching me to live in His House, by which repentance leads me to HIM.

In Christ: Phillip

2012/5/3 13:01Profile

Re:

C'mon brother... come on over the Calvinist side. The water's fine!

Krispy

2012/5/3 13:05

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy