SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Hear this, all ye self-righteous, tremble, and behold your doom!

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread

Hear this, all ye self-righteous, tremble, and behold your doom!

“Hear this, all ye self-righteous, tremble, and behold your doom! a dreadful doom, more dreadful than words can express, or thought conceive! If you refuse to humble yourselves … I call heaven and earth to witness against you this day, that God shall visit you with all his storms, and pour all the vials of his wrath upon your rebellious heads; you exalted yourselves here, and God shall abase you hereafter; you are as proud as the devil, and with devils shall you dwell to all eternity. “Be not deceived, God is not mocked;” he sees your hearts, he knows all things. And, notwithstanding you may come up to the temple to pray, your prayers are turned into sin, and you go down to your houses unjustified, if you are self-righteous; and do you know what it is to be unjustified? why, if you are unjustified, the wrath of God abideth upon you; you are in your blood; all the curses of the law belong to you: cursed are you when you go out, cursed are you when you come in; cursed are your thoughts, cursed are your words, cursed are your deeds; every thing you do, say, or think, from morning to night is only one continued series of sin. However highly you may be esteemed in the sight of men, however you may be honored with the uppermost seats in the synagogues, in the church militant, you will have no place in the church triumphant. “Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God:” pull down every self-righteous thought, and every proud imagination, that now exalteth itself against the perfect, personal, imputed righteousness of the dear Lord Jesus”.

- Whitefield’s Sermons (Grand Rapids, MI: Christian Classics Ethereal Library). Sermon: The Pharisee and Publican.

2012/4/28 21:56
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re: Hear this, all ye self-righteous, tremble, and behold your doom!

What this printed sermon doesn't convey is that these words were punctuated by streaming tears. Whitefield lamented over souls and saw himself just as wretched and hell-deserving as as the lowest sinner, if not for God's grace. This very same exhortation, preached without the same compassion, is but a litany of death and religious banter. This sort of preaching of God's judgmental terror is but powerless, laughable diatribe if it is done without tears.

With tears, however, such an exhortation penetrates the heart and prostrates men, women and children. God was able to bring such an effect through His evangelist because Whitefield himself had probably been crushed and prostrated before God earlier that morning. He had shed real tears in prayer over the prostitutes, the drunkards, the atheists, the gamblers. Whitefield had wept in private and therefore God had given him the right to preach these words. This is something street preachers today do not take into account. They want Whitefield's authority without the tears, and so they try to mimic his style and are either ignored or laughed off the stage.

Always remember that when you read or quote Whitefield, that he was quintessentially a man of of much weeping and love and his preaching was ancillary to this. Otherwise you can go off balance and spread legalistic death.

By the way, Whitefield is my all-time favorite minister, outside of the men of the Bible. Thanks for posting this snippet.

Brother Paul

2012/4/29 0:16Profile
pilgrim777

Re: The WORD for the Healing of the Body

That's pretty important (additional) information.

Thank you, Paul.

Speaking of the men of the Bible:

For My WORD is alive and powerful and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit. But many cannot hear My WORD because My WORD has no place in them. He who is of God hears the WORDS of God; for this reason you do not hear them, because you are not of God. Truly, truly, I say to you, if anyone keeps My WORD he shall never see death, but many of you neglect the commandment of God and hold to the tradition of men. You nicely set aside the Commandment of God in order to keep your traditions. JESUS

By His cross I am crucified to the world and the world is crucified to me. Consequently, I am crucified with Christ; NEVERTHELESS I LIVE: yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me. So, exhort all disciples to continue in the faith, and that we must through much tribulation enter the kingdom of God. PAUL

But the God of all grace, who hath called us unto His eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after you have suffered for a LITTLE WHILE will Himself perfect, confirm, strengthen and establish you. PETER

Here are two examples of scriptures that are difficult to apply in today's religious system. We can believe the WORD or adjust it. If we choose to believe the Word in the following instances and not adjust it then we ought to seek the Lord for more understanding of it and not be quick to dismiss it or ignore it.

2Jn 1:9-11 Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine (teaching) of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son. If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed: For he that biddeth him God speed is partaker of his evil deeds.

1Co 5:9-13 I wrote unto you in an epistle not to company with fornicators: Yet not altogether with the fornicators of this world, or with the covetous, or extortioners, or with idolaters; for then must ye needs go out of the world. But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolater, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such an one no not to eat. For what have I to do to judge them also that are without? do not ye judge them that are within? But them that are without God judgeth. Therefore put away from among yourselves that wicked person.

Pilgrim

2012/4/29 0:33Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
However highly you may be esteemed in the sight of men, however you may be honored with the uppermost seats in the synagogues, in the church militant, you will have no place in the church triumphant. “Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God:” pull down every self-righteous thought, and every proud imagination, that now exalteth itself against the perfect, personal, imputed righteousness of the dear Lord Jesus”.

This quote reminds me of the severity our Lord spoke to the Pharisees in his time. But we must be careful to not be more severe then even our Lord would. It is always I believe a safe place to show more grace and leave people to the just ways of God. But we can believe that Whitefield was hearing the Spirit of Christ to give that exhortation in love to see them changed. To not believe for someone to change and rebuke them is to do the work of the devil. May we be full of kindness and love for those in Christ who have failed and sinned and those who are outside of Christ in the dark blackness of sin's night. And lastly let us also show mercy to those who are self-righteous and trusting in their own religious performance which nullifies the work of the Cross of Christ. Though our Lord spoke harshly to this last group of people yet He did so in utmost love for their repentance and change of life towards trusting God as needful sinners.

2012/4/29 1:12Profile
learjet

Re:

Quote:
This very same exhortation, preached without the same compassion, is but a litany of death and religious banter. This sort of preaching of God's judgmental terror is but powerless, laughable diatribe if it is done without tears.

Hi Paul,

Whether brother Whitfield preached this with tears in his eyes or with a straight face in no way lessens the power of the message.

The fact that the Lord gave him the courage to speak the message in the face of great wrath in itself is encouragement enough to me. This message will not get you firmly ensconced on the preaching circuit.

We don't hear of John the Baptist's tears, yet Jesus said that there was not a man who had walked the Earth that was greater than him. Tears do not make us great, obedience does. Tears did no make George Whitfield, obedience did. Tears did in fact grease the cogs, but the Lord was the engineer.

2012/4/29 2:05Profile
brothagary

Re:

i think you might be misunderstanding ,paul west

it the brokeness of spirit he preached with and interceed with ,,,,,and with out that preaching has no power

brother just because it is not recorded in scripture ,it would be an asumtion to say that about the baptist john

jesus was a man of sorrows aquainted with grief and he preached in the brokeness ,it was recorded

i dont think paul said it was the water that flowd from his eyes that made him great

and i dont think paul was saying that the lord was not the enginer of power

he saying with out true compassion ,that is linked with a broken and contrite spirit ,,whare tears are an outward manfestion of the inward burdan ,,,there is nothing but a dry sermon

2012/4/29 3:23Profile
rbanks

Re:

Amen brother Paul!

Amen brothagary!

It is so easy for any of us to quote another man's words but miss the heart, compassion,tone of his voice, and spirit that motivated the truth of the message he was compelled to convey.

Ephesians 4:15 But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ:

16 From whom the whole body fitly joined together and compacted by that which every joint supplieth, according to the effectual working in the measure of every part, maketh increase of the body unto the edifying of itself in love.

Blessings...from brother rbanks

2012/4/29 7:38Profile
Trekker

northern USA

Re:

QUOTE:"This sort of preaching of God's judgmental terror is but powerless, laughable diatribe if it is done without tears."==PAUL WEST

How true. Your statement recalls to mind Paul Washer and his Shocking Youth Sermon which he gave with tears and compassion. Without that his words would have fallen on deaf ears. By his tears we listeners knew that he loved us/them. And without love, he would have been as a tinkling cymbal or sounding brass...

1Cor. 13: 1

Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become [as] sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

2012/4/29 8:21Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Quote:
We don't hear of John the Baptist's tears, yet Jesus said that there was not a man who had walked the Earth that was greater than him. Tears do not make us great, obedience does. Tears did no make George Whitfield, obedience did. Tears did in fact grease the cogs, but the Lord was the engineer.

Brother, I am not a follower of John the Baptist, who is less than the least in God's Kingdom. As a model of gospel evangelism, however, I would chose instead to follow the example of tear-dried Peter on the balcony. Which isn't to say that John didn't weep in the wilderness. I am almost certain he did, being filled with God's Spirit. But he is not our example today in any case, as righteous and obedient and fiery as he was. Lowly Timothy, I would argue, is more an example for the follower of Christ (I Tim 4:12), if you had to chose an accurate model.

Of course the Lord was the engineer in Whitefield's case, no one would ever doubt this. But obedience to God bereft of compassion is a one-way ticket to legalism, as seen with the pharisees. These were men who counted themselves perfectly submissive to God. They sought to obey God in every jot and tittle. The problem with obedience as the forefront qualifier is that everyone has a slightly different idea on what true obedience to God is. Obedience to God can be subjective, because your standard may be different from mine. You may be called to preach, the next person may be called to remain silent. As with often the case, the former has a great propensity to judge the latter for not conforming to what he believes is God's universal will for all believers. All believers, however, are called to compassion, to love, to servitude.

Notwithstanding, obedience to God according to the light He's proffered upon you should be a given. You can't be in a place to truly anguish over the lost if you're not first in a right standing with God obviously. But obedience alone to the light does not lend this kind of authority. You must have a broken heart before God and a love for sinners as well. Otherwise you'll just sound angry and judgmental like 99% of most street preachers who count themselves as obedient unto God.

2012/4/29 8:47Profile

Re:

Wow...

I know when I read this last night my thought was cleanse me from any pride Jesus, could I be the man Whitefield is speaking of? What are the secret areas of pride in my own life, I thought they were dealt with but they seem to grow back like weeds.

Perhaps a better response to a post like this (in contrast to many offered here) would be like the disciples, who when Christ said one would betray him, asked "is it I Lord". I have seen preaching like Whitfield on the streets of Detroit and I have seen the power of God fall from it. I have also seen preaching on the streets of Detroit from one with a Jonah like attitude (an SDA) and it is as horrible as Paul West had stated. Either way, Paul (the apostle) said it is better for the truth to be preached...

In Christ -Jim

2012/4/29 10:12

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy