Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Revivals And Church History : Puritan Prayers

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Puritan Prayers

I just put up some prayers by puritans from the 1600 and 1700's you can read them here in the articles section:
[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/articles/index.php?view=category&cid=645]Puritan Prayers[/url]

It's amazing to read the prayers of old saints from the past. You quickly will realize and sense the depth and desire of their souls to worship and magnify God. There is something in their prayers which goes beyond the superficiality of our praying commonly not thinking we are in the presense of the very almighty God.

This one prayer paticulary touched me:
[b][url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/articles/index.php?view=article&aid=14904]The Deeps...[/url][/b]

I encourage you to print some of these out and even pray them to God after you have thought about what is being said.

2005/2/6 1:46Profile
Tears_of_joy

Re: Puritan Prayers

I heard someone saying something like this: "Let me hear how someone prays and I will tell how spiritual he is"

Quote:
This one prayer paticulary touched me:
The Deeps...

Lord Jesus, give me a deeper repentance, a horror of sin, a dread of its approach. Help me chastely to flee it and jealously to resolve that my heart shall be Thine alone.

Give me a deeper trust, that I may lose myself to find myself in Thee, the ground of my rest, the spring of my being. Give me a deeper knowledge of Thyself as saviour, master, lord, and king. Give me deeper power in private prayer, more sweetness in Thy Word, more steadfast grip on its truth. Give me deeper holiness in speech, thought, action, and let me not seek moral virtue apart from Thee.

Plough deep in me, great Lord, heavenly husbandman, that my being may be a tilled field, the roots of grace spreading far and wide, until Thou alone art seen in me, Thy beauty golden like summer harvest, Thy fruitfulness as autumn plenty.

I have no master but Thee, no law but Thy will, no delight but Thyself, no wealth but that Thou givest, no good but that Thou blessest, no peace but that Thou bestowest. I am nothing but that Thou makest me. I have nothing but that I receive from Thee. I can be nothing but that grace adorns me. Quarry me deep, dear Lord, and then fill me to overflowing with living water.

This prayer says much...
Thanks brother for sharing this.

2005/2/6 9:35Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy