SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
See Opportunities to Serve with SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : How Should We Interpret Ezekiel 38: 15?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Trekker

northern USA

How Should We Interpret Ezekiel 38: 15?

Ezekiel 38:15 is in reference to God bringing the armies of God and Magog against Israel in the latter days and it says:

"And thou shalt come from thy place out of the north parts, thou, and many people with thee, all of them riding upon horses, a great company. and a mighty army."--Ezek. 38:15

Now, i know the prevailing belief about Gog and Magog is that it represents modern day Russia. However, i have two questions. Firstly, it says they shall be ALL riding on HORSES. What country uses horses today in modern warfare? Horses would be useless against the tanks, missles and war planes of Israel and Israel would not even NEED God to defend her if they are gonna come on horses. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions as to how modern day warfare is going to apparently according to this scripture REGRESS back to medieval times and the use of horses? Or is this attack on Israel a PAST event and not a future one?

Israel also has a new military machine that uses sound waves to thwart armies. I forget what it is called but it just came out a coupla years ago. Horses would be no match for that either. American also has access now to a military machine that uses intense heat waves to stop people/armies.

I considered the possibility that maybe something is going to wipe out all the modern military machinations, such as a nuclear holocaust but that doesnt make any sense either.

Then i considered that maybe all (or maybe just most, including Israel's allies and Russian allies) nations will mutually agree to stop production of all modern military machinations, such as tanks, missiles, planes, bombs, leaving them only horses. And that since Russia decides to attack Israel when they are dwelling in safety and it is totally unexpected maybe the world will be at relative peace at that time (which would support the possibility of such a treaty).

I'm asssuming that if God had wanted to somehow describe trucks and armored vehicles he would have used words like
"chariots" or "chariots of iron" and words like "iron birds with fire in their tails" or something to describe things like missiles, etc.

Anyone have any ideas, thoughts, or learning on this matter?

(Oh, p.s. my second question is to those who believe that God is against all warfare and military service: God Himself will be bringing about the warfare and armies here in this passage so how do you interpret that in light of your belief that war is always wrong?)

2012/4/27 21:14Profile
hulsey

Missouri

Re: How Should We Interpret Ezekiel 38: 15?

Seriously, my suggestion is to buy some good commentaries. The questions you are asking are very difficult to discuss with any satisfaction on a forum.

2012/4/27 21:26Profile
Trekker

northern USA

Re:

Lol....i have access to numerous commentaries online but they really don't say much most of the time.

Anyway, i suppose we could take almost EVERY topic dealt with here on SI and just look at commentaries if we wanted.

2012/4/27 22:08Profile

Is it possible that it's not referring to this time period but another from perhaps a distant past?

I think we do the prophets a disservice by placing these events still in our future because the marks of a true prophet is that his prophecies come to pass, if they haven't in the period of time allotted that they should, then one has to question their validity. However, if we place them where they ought to be placed then they are very much honoured as true prophets of God.

2012/4/27 22:23

"Leave room for God's wrath. Vengeance is mine says the Lord, I will repay." God is in control of meting out war, justice, judgement, etc. He uses the "basest of men" to do it. Never said "War Is always wrong". Said fleshly, earthly wars are not mentioned as the fight real New Covenant believers are to be tied up in personally. Totally different

2012/4/28 1:44
Trekker

northern USA

Re:

QUOTE: "I think we do the prophets a disservice by placing these events still in our future because the marks of a true prophet is that his prophecies come to pass, if they haven't in the period of time allotted that they should,..."==APPROVED

But who are we to say how much time is allotted here or how long it should take? That would be the height of arrogance for us to say that it only has so many years or decades to come to pass. And obviously if it hasn't happened yet then it is still on the horizon.

Reply to JEFFMAR:

Not really understanding what you are saying i guess. War is war. Not sure i see the difference you are trying to create. The only difference i see is when a war is fought for a moral cause vs. not. ALL war is done by men, and God has ultimate control/sovereignty over ALL war. So i don't see the differentiation you are alluding to...sorry.

2012/4/28 4:14Profile

©2002-2021 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy