SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : A Christian's Attitude Towards War

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread
Trekker

northern USA

Re: A Christian's Attitude Towards War

QUOTE: "No work that needs to be done either to preserve or restore civil order is beneath the Christian. Up to and including the administration of the death penalty. Normally objectors to war are in opposition to the death penalty as well, so our difference will actually lie in that area.....
BTW if in war I shot another believer and he shot me at the same time, we would meet shortly thereafter and rejoice that each were delivered from this place to the next."==OLDJOE

Yes, this is the way i view it too. I mean, if war (basically law enforcement on the national level when you really be honest about it, like in the fight against terrorists right now) is wrong then all law enforcement which involves any kind of shooting of a criminal at the state or local level is wrong then too. God gave the government the right to wield the sword and says so right in his Word...the NT.

As for killing another Christian, well good luck finding one! They are so rare that it is highly unlikely. That aside, in the rare case that may occur---such as maybe it occurred during the American Civil War---yes it is very sad but we all must die sometime, someway and God is the one who decides the how and when. I know a Christian family who basically "killed" their own daughter by refusing to take her to the doctor because they believed that the prayer of faith in God's healing would save her. Does that mean we should cease all prayer as well?

2012/4/27 21:54Profile
Trekker

northern USA

Re:

By the way, not one of you yet has answered my about
LUKE 3:14, in which soldiers asked Jesus what they should do and he had every opportunity to tell them to forsake military service and war but instead he told them to be happy with their wages. And i had pointed out the fact that He would not have told them to be happy with their wages if He intended them to quit being soldiers and doing what soldiers do.

However, historically soldiers the world over have also been known for violent acts such as rape and looting during times of war. So this is what Jesus may have been referring to when he told them to do no violence to anyone.

I respect your views and understand where you are coming from with all the things you say. It is a matter for much prayer. However, it might not ALWAYS be such a black n white answer and it may depend more on the cause one is fighting for. I hope you will be able to respect my views on this matter just as i respect yours.

2012/4/27 22:05Profile

Re:

Trekker, not to be picky. But the soldiers in Luke 3 were talking to John the Baptist. Not Jesus.

Bearmaster.

2012/4/27 23:22
hmmhmm

Sweden

Hello brother Jim, nice to see you again. I once made such a thread, its not very many but some small collection of threads on often started topics, since the function on the furum changed one has to edit the url:s from [code]x[\code] but it is maybe possible to continue to build that thread with new additions? https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=31655&forum=35&9

2012/4/28 1:23Profile

Quote:
That is true Joe and that is my point. But the how are you so sure the Christian doesn't lose by killing?

Very certain.

If you believe that the death penalty is God-ordained, you also believe that there indeed is a time to kill, the only semantics left are when/what is the right time. This each man has to decide for himself as circumstances arise.

RIbbentrop was a believer that was killed because of prior sin. I am sure you would have no qualms about another believer putting the noose around his neck.

OJ

2012/4/28 2:12

Re:

Quote:
As for killing another Christian, well good luck finding one!

I smiled at that truth of that statement!

OJ

2012/4/28 2:16

Re:

Eccl 3

1 To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:
2 A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted;
3 A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up;
4 A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance;
5 A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;
6 A time to get, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away;
7 A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;
8 A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace.

It is up to the Christian to rightly determine the times.

OJ

2012/4/28 2:20
Trekker

northern USA

Re:

QUOTE: "Trekker, not to be picky. But the soldiers in Luke 3 were talking to John the Baptist. Not Jesus."==BEARMASTER

Oh! Right you are! Thank you for setting me straight on that! (I had to go back and look, cuz i was certain it was Jesus before...my, my...). John's words so closely reflected Jesus that i thought it was Jesus... I'm sure John would feel good about that! : ) And no, i don't think you were being picky, i think it is important to be accurate in what i quote and if i screwed up i want to know it.

2012/4/28 7:31Profile
pilgrim777

Re:

It's all very interesting so far. I am learning a lot. I always wondered why so many Christians went to battle. I never knew about some of these reasonings and justifications.

I have seen you quote Ecclesiastes before Joe, regarding this topic. In light of Jesus Christ and the New Birth, what it the "time" and the "season" that you discern?

Later, I will post some more.

Pilgrim

2012/4/28 8:28Profile

Re:

"2 A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted;
3 A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up;"

Mark 1:14 Now after John was arrested, Jesus came into Galilee, proclaiming the gospel of God, and saying, "The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand; repent and believe in the gospel."

2012/4/28 8:56

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy