Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : THE LONELINESS OF THE CHRISTIAN

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

THE LONELINESS OF THE CHRISTIAN

THE LONELINESS OF THE CHRISTIAN

By A.W. Tozer

The loneliness of the Christian results from his walk with God in an ungodly world, a walk that must often take him away from the fellowship of good Christians as well as from that of the unregenerate world. His God-given instincts cry out for companionship with others of his kind, others who can understand his longings, his aspirations, his absorption in the love of Christ; and because within his circle of friends there are so few who share his inner experiences he is forced to walk alone. The unsatisfied longings of the prophets for human understanding caused them to cry out in their complaint, and even our Lord Himself suffered in the same way.

The man [or woman] who has passed on into the divine Presence in actual inner experience will not find many who understand him. He finds few who care to talk about that which is the supreme object of his interest, so he is often silent and preoccupied in the midst of noisy religious shoptalk. For this he earns the reputation of being dull and over-serious, so he is avoided and the gulf between him and society widens. He searches for friends upon whose garments he can detect the smell of myrrh and aloes and cassia out of the ivory palaces, and finding few or none he, like Mary of old, keeps these things in his heart.

It is this very loneliness that throws him back upon God. His inability to find human companionship drives him to seek in God what he can find nowhere else.

"And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death." -Revelation 12:11

Borrowed with thanks from;
http://www.awildernessvoice.com

2005/2/5 11:35Profile
lastblast

Michigan

Re: THE LONELINESS OF THE CHRISTIAN

This is the writing which "hit" me especially hard this morning. This is where I am at. I told someone recently I feel like an "alien"---even among those whom I attended Church with. I know there are many of us out there who just want to talk about Jesus and His Word, edifying each other and growing Christ centered relationships, but it is so hard to find them---in person. That's why I am thankful for this medium. It at least is a place where we can come and fellowship with likeminded persons.

Much of what Tozer speaks of the characteristics of the lonely Christian describe me perfectly. Even my own unsaved family have noted a sort of "sadness" which was not previously a part of my personality. I didn't realize what I was feeling internally was even being noticed by those on the "outside"---as I'm usually good at masking my feelings, usually with humor.......but not so now I guess. If it weren't for my husband, I truly would be in utter "lonliness" and I do have Christian friends.......I guess what Tozer said here is what the Lord is really bringing me to:

Quote:
It is this very loneliness that throws him back upon God. His inability to find human companionship drives him to seek in God what he can find nowhere else.

2005/2/5 11:47Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

Oh yes, I feel like exactully what this article is about. I have very few people i can talk to about "deeper" things. I can talk to my pastor (who is a couple of hours away from me because I am in college now), one friend at my church here in my college town, and all of you here at SI. Even in Christian circles I feel as a stranger.

2005/2/12 18:50Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

Anyone know of any sermons that are along this same line?

2005/2/12 18:52Profile
geddingsm

south carolina

Re: lonliness

I too know how you feel. I really have no one who I can personally fellowship with on a deep level. Except the ones I read on SI. My wife is a Christian but at this time she doesn't want to walk in the deeper things of God. My church has a number of good God fearing people but fellowship tends to turn in a social event. My pastor pastors 2 churches so he is so busy that is not anyone with whom I can discuss the Godly things a length. Sometimes I feel that something is wrong with me that I'm almost antisocial. But I know that I have God and just want more of Him. I'm currently praying for His guidince about a body of believers that may have some members that want the same things I do.

2005/2/12 19:11Profile
formidable

Perth, Australia

Re: we are aliens

Acquaintances chat
Friend’s talk
Intimates share
I have probably 4 people id tell or be able to share anything with, that’s not many.
Jesus has the same we like to stay around the outer courts with him we like to come to him when it suits us
Jesus has no favorite’s just intimates; he did actually have some people that he always took with him but for a reason?
Who, peter, James & john
& Why, because they were intimate with him more than the others were

1 of my friends & I, people refused to pray with us. They just didn’t get us.
Stuff happened when we prayed.
I don’t think they liked so much. I can’t control God if he turns up or answers our prayers that’s there problem.

But I agree its there’s not heaps of people in churches you can really share your heart with.
All my intimate friends God has given in answers to there prayers for like minded people.

1 example is my mates wedding I went to but I would have had my back toward the main table so I looked at the name tag across from me, I knew that guy who was to sit there but he hadn’t arrived yet so I thought bugger it ill change it,
Which I did.
Simple thing no big spiritual significance just an urge to do it.
Unbeknownst to me the guy next to now where I am sitting.
Was going through things which he had never been able to find others, who had had the same type of experiences.
As he walked into the reception he heard God say “the person you sit next to will be a divine appointmen”t.
He sat down looked at the name tag & thought how can that guy be a divine appointment I rarely see him.
Then I change the name tag sit down & start chatting.
Enough said
I let God choose my friends now he picks well.
& we have become the best of brothers in God & his family have adopted me as a second son.
All because he wanted to talk the deeper things of God.

I’m in the process aswel now of waiting on God for a church im not to concerned what denomination but that I will have another divine appointment with someone else who loves the things of God.
So if you’re in this position he will answer ask him for the people he will answer?

But it’s like when you want to talk, God his presence, his ways revival power & longing for him
I find it’s like a veil goes over peoples faces there ears shut up & they just can’t handle to talk this stuff.

& my longing aswel for people who want God, his ways to know him to ponder & discuss the deeper things of Him.

2005/2/12 23:07Profile
relewis111

Pittsburgh,PA

Re: Precious jewels

I have been giving the seperateness of the Christian a lot of thought lately and just how I should share everything the Lord is doing in my heart and in my life. I have noticed that the light of spiritual truth is not something I have the priveledge of hoarding to myself. There are people around me desperate and dying and I need to reach them somehow.

I am very lucky that my sister and her husband have a hunger for Christ but even they noticed that my nature is to pursue my love with zeal. I wish I could claim to feel this way only toward Christ but in my life I have pursued many things outside of God and have payed the price in dissappointment and sin. If Almighty God is the fire that burns within me everything in this world seems to pale and fade, driving me towards my Lord and away from the so-called normal life.

I was praying not to long ago and the bible in front of me became like the only real thing I could see or feel, becoming the sole piece of wood in the midst of a turbulent sea to cling to and also the only solid rock to stand on over a deep and empty abyss. I don't claim to have had a vision but this image brought home to me the reality of God's Word, when nothing else on this ball of dirt seems real; the eternal Truth is all I have left. To reach into eternity and wrest the precious jewels of heaven into my grasp fills me with awe and gratitude, while at the same time convincing me that my flesh, my mind are totally unworthy. How can I tell someone else that this is really how I feel about the Word, about the Creator, about my Teacher and Comforter? It seems words are rather pitiful for this task and I am left alone, praising Him with tears of joy.

We are never alone,
with Christ always

Rich

2Cor 2:14 Now thanks be to God who always leads us in triumph in Christ, and through us diffuses the fragrance of His knowledge in every place

2005/3/12 1:45Profile

I have never read Tozer's works, but I am inclined to agree with him.

My experiences of loneliness is not new, but it seems common amongst the called out ones.

The loneliness is sometimes hard to bear, at times it turns to despair, especially if you don't have a significant other.

God has been raking me over the coals lately, I offended my Mother to the place she didn't want to see me again, thru deep repentance God restored me back to her, after showing me in my heart that I did not honour my parents. I asked Him along time ago that I might know Him. He truly WORKS OUT ALL THINGS for our good. He told me, "How can you say you honour me when you don't even honour your Mother." That threw me for a loop, I thought I did, but after some repentance, It was very clear that I did not.

After a few weeks of getting the victory over that, another incident arose (the LORD was still after something else). I began to be unkind to my Sister, to the place of ridiculing.

I apologized in a superficial way, it wasn't genuine. But a few nights later, I went to www.timessquarechurch.com David Wilkerson site and I heard Neil Rhodes preach, "Do you see God's likeness in you?" I hardly ever listen to Neil, I always think he is boring. It is something that God doesn't choose the celebrites that we like, like Carter Conlon or David Wilkerson to show us something (don't get me wrong, God has shown many things to me thru these great men). But I listened to Neil and I wept all the way thru it. I repented sorrowfully for my crimes and God met me. Again God showed me, "I was kind to you when dealing with the restoration with your Mother, where is your kindness towards your Sister?" I was deeply floored. I couldn't defend myself, for I was guilty.

It pays to be kind to others, even though I thought that I was being kind, but my idea of righteousness is filthy rags.

"Oh LORD I want to be like you" becareful what you ask for, I am a firm believer today that that was what Jesus meant when He tells us to count the cost. Because there are moments you would like to turn back, but I always ask myself, "Turn back to what?, you LORD have the words of eternal life" My past is not worth looking at, I wouldn't want to be young again and start over, I had a bad experience then, I don't want to go thru that again. I look forward to getting older I am 38 this year and going forward with Him is better then looking back. By the way that is why I wasn't honouring my Mother I was looking back to the past digging up things that were dead, throwing them in her face, when she was as innocent as new born babe.

But that is what the sin of looking back does to a person.

I am going to tell you that God pre arranged and arranged this whole thing that I could see my short comings and to turn to Him even tho people got hurt, God says, I wound and I heal, I kill and make alive. God is to be loved and feared when you see Him work like this behind the scenes, totally amazing.

But this is not a result of being lonely, these things have been occuring over a period of time.

The loneliness that I feel is a result of having no real fellowship on a deeper level with Christians in the community. People have their pet doctrines, and mind you I have mine, but do I have to know about water baptism over and over again? Who cares as Paul seems to hint in Heb6 let us MOVE ON to perfection.

Karl

2005/3/12 18:32
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Quote:

Thanks for sharing this Bro. Mike. It was a great blessing to me.

God Bless,

-Robert

2005/3/12 19:59Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy