Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Born Of Water - John 3:5

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Bolou

Malaysia

Born Of Water - John 3:5

Greetings Men & Brethren!

I'm kinda new in here and this is my first post.

Plse, got a question to ask and here it is:

What does Jesus mean by being 'born of water' and 'of the Spirit' in John 3:5?

I was asked by someone, a brother but couldn't really explain that. Need some help!

2012/4/17 15:17Profile
hulsey

Missouri

Re: Born Of Water - John 3:5

Some interpret it to mean natural birth and spiritual birth.

I believe that it is referring to baptism and spiritual birth as others interpret it.

2012/4/17 15:26Profile
Bolou

Malaysia

Re:

Thanks bro!
But how is water baptism a requirement to see the Kingdom of God? Ought not baptism for the saved? Nicodemus was an unsaved man you know.

And I ain't convinced Jesus was saying, unless he is baptised in water he cannot see the kingdom of God.

I believe the other part, 'born of the Spirit' could also mean 'spiritual birth' as you said cos at birth we are born by the Spirit.

2012/4/17 15:30Profile
hulsey

Missouri

Re:

I didn't say water baptism, I said baptism :).

Jesus' meeting with Nicodemus is in relation to the ministry of Jesus and that of John the Baptist. When Jesus told Nicodemus that the religious leaders did not receive 'their' testimony he was speaking of himself and John. John's baptism was a baptism of repentance.

2012/4/17 15:42Profile
Bolou

Malaysia

Re:

Okay? Cool;

So, what's your answer? Haven't gotten it yet! What does 'born of water' signify?

2012/4/17 15:52Profile
jimp

Re:

hi, the whole chapter is about being born... how can i reenter my mothers womb? it is about natural birth (carnal)and being born from above(spiritual)unless you are born of the spirit you have no spiritual life.

2012/4/17 15:54Profile
Bolou

Malaysia

Re:

Thanks!

Gotten, but that's the latter part. What about the first part, 'born of water'?

2012/4/17 15:57Profile
MichaelLiao

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Re:

Hello Bolou,

In John 3:5 where "born of water and Spirit" is mentioned is actually not referring to water baptism. It is actually cross-referencing back to Ezekiel 36:25-27, "I (The LORD) will sprinkle CLEAN WATER on you, and you shall be clean from all your uncleannesses, and from all your idols I will cleanse you. And I will give you a new heart, and a new spirit I will put within you. And I will remove the heart of stone from your flesh and give you a heart of flesh. 27 And I will put my SPIRIT within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes and be careful to obey my rules." This is the promise of the new birth. Water is referring to the cleansing of regeneration. It also references back to Ephesians 5:26, "that he might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word."

In Christ,

- Michael Liao

2012/4/17 16:04Profile
MichaelLiao

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Re:

That is why Jesus confronted Nicodemus in John 3 saying, "Are you the teacher of Israel and yet you do not understand these things?" (John 3:9) Nicodemus knew the Tanakh (The Old Testament) inside out and he would have understood it when Jesus said being born out of water and Spirit, due to its referencing in Ezekiel 36.

It would be dangerous if we interpreted "born of water" as water baptism, because salvation is completely the work of God in Christ Jesus. If entering the kingdom of God requires water baptism, I think the thief on the Cross would have ended up in hell.

In Christ,

- Michael Liao

2012/4/17 16:08Profile
Bolou

Malaysia

Re:

Hi Michael,

Wow, Wow! Thanks! I think you nailed it! Thanks once more!

2012/4/17 16:13Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy