SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Can we lose our salvation? Let's ask the "Prince of Preachers"

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
PosterThread
jochbaptist

Re:

Hi KK

What are your thoughts on this part of scripture then? I listened to it on MP3 this weekend, and it jolted me a bit.

Hebrews 6:4-9
For [it is] impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted the heavenly gift, and have become partakers of the Holy Spirit, and have tasted the good word of God and the powers of the age to come, if they fall away, to renew them again to repentance, since they crucify again for themselves the Son of God, and put [Him] to an open shame. For the earth which drinks in the rain that often comes upon it, and bears herbs useful for those by whom it is cultivated, receives blessing from God; but if it bears thorns and briers, [it is] rejected and near to being cursed, whose end [is] to be burned. But, beloved, we are confident of better things concerning you, yes, things that accompany salvation, though we speak in this manner.

Hebrews 10:26-30
For if we sin willfully after we have received the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins, but a certain fearful expectation of judgment, and fiery indignation which will devour the adversaries. Anyone who has rejected Moses' law dies without mercy on [the testimony of] two or three witnesses.
Of how much worse punishment, do you suppose, will he be thought worthy who has trampled the Son of God underfoot, counted the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified a common thing, and insulted the Spirit of grace? For we know Him who said, "Vengeance is Mine, I will repay," says the Lord. And again, "The LORD will judge His people."

2012/4/10 15:09Profile
Heydave

Hampshire, UK

Re:

Krispy, Krispy, Krispy! What has come over you? lol.
How long have you been on this forum and did you not consider this subject is a firecracker waiting to go?!

Anyway I think sree made a lot of good points.

As for me I was a ardent defender of OSAS years ago, but after years of reading the bible (over 30) I cannot reconcile that position with what I read in scripture. That's just me. I know others take a different view.

Eternal security IS true. We are eternally secure IN Christ....if we remain in Him. If we do not remain, but walk away from Christ, how can we secure? I think that is what the book of Hebrews is teaching.

I'll leave it at that and have no more comments.

2012/4/10 15:13Profile

Re:

Joch... running out of writing time today... let me get back to you on this...

Krispy

2012/4/10 15:37
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re: Can we lose our salvation? Let's ask the "Prince of Preachers"

Krispy: :-) this is the equivalent of opening the door and throwing a snake into the crowd is it not?

Actually it is a good topic for us to dive into scripture and really study and pray rather than simply adopting that which we have been taught in our denomination.

Blessings.

2012/4/10 15:38Profile
pilgrim777

Re:

Amen to what you say, Dave.

Krispy, I'm not here to fight, either.

I don't believe in the security of the unbeliever. And how could we ever say that a believer could never fall into unbelief and fall away when we have the Word of God to show us so many examples? I wish it was so easy to just say, "they weren't saved and never knew Jesus".

Heb 3:12 Take heed, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief, in DEPARTING from the living God.

Departing from the Living God are very strong words.

Heb 3:19 So we see that they could not enter in because of unbelief.

Heb 4:11 Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest ANY MAN FALL after the same example of unbelief.

Anyway, I just wanted to add this and I don't have anything else to say except the Lord bless you all, richly.

Pilgrim

2012/4/10 15:46Profile

Re:

Quote:
Actually it is a good topic for us to dive into scripture and really study and pray rather than simply adopting that which we have been taught in our denomination.

I agree... this is an important thing to discuss. We all just have to act like adults and proceed in love. We can have a great conversation and maybe even learn from one another.

It's worth a shot.

Krispy

2012/4/10 15:54

Re:

There are some people who move from one dogma or doctrine to another. Maybe a swing from charismania to reformed, admittedly a big swing but a blowing in the wind none the less. The man whose grand obsession is Jesus, who makes Jesus the pre-emminent one, who wants to always talk about his passion, Jesus, he is the man of fellowship and grace and love. What has this got to do with this thread, probably nothing.......... bro Frank

2012/4/10 15:55
MaryJane

Re:

The man whose grand obsession is Jesus, who makes Jesus the pre-emminent one, who wants to always talk about his passion, Jesus, he is the man of fellowship and grace and love. What has this got to do with this thread, probably nothing.......... bro Frank

I just love what you wrote here Frank!! Oh Lord hear my prayer, make JESUS the passion of my life. As I live and breath let my thoughts be continually on HIM!!
Amen!!

God Bless you Frank
mj

2012/4/10 16:05Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

Now that I have time to reply...

This is a topic that, like Christian, I do not think I have landed on totally. There are much more than two or three proof texts on either side to consider. This topic really takes in the very nature of our salvation, and that is a big topic.

Those who say salvation cannot be lost seem to focus on a fairly limited selection of verses and try to explain others away. Those who believe in conditional salvation will likewise focus on their favorites...and so it goes. But I wonder if we sometimes do not have a somewhat skewed view of salvation that leads us to one side or the other.

There are a good number of verses that speak to holding our hope to the end, of enduring to the end, and of casting not away your confidence. There are others that speak to turning away unto perdition. So it seems that one can indeed lose his salvation. Yet we know from other scriptures that we cannot lose our salvation by an act of sin, nor can anyone else steal our salvation from us. It appears, to me anyway, that the only way I can lose it is to willfully turn from it. Yet I know this does not mean that every man who we might call a backslider has lost his salvation.

Like I said before, I do not have a totally clear understanding of the issue. I am still coming to an understanding of this. But this one thing I do know. I am going to walk as close to Jesus as I can so that I do not have to worry about it.

2012/4/10 16:14Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

very good post twayneb (travis?sorry if remember wrongly)

I think Tozer said upon asked if he believed in eternal security that he did for him self but for others he was not so sure. I do not think he meant that in a prideful "I am better christian then you are" way but rather as you write "I am going to walk as close to Jesus as I can so that I do not have to worry about it."

2012/4/10 16:42Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy