SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Halley's Bible Handbook.. on the reading of the Bible.

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Halley's Bible Handbook.. on the reading of the Bible.

Here are some excerpts from the "Halley's Bible Handbook" that really provoked and got me convicted towards us as the body of Christ being a people of the Word of God and reading the Word daily:

[b]"The Bible is the most pricless possession of the human race."[/b] !!!! ;-)

"The vigor of Spiritual Life will be in exact proportion to the place held by the Bible in our life and thoughts. I solemnly state this from the experience of fifty-four years. The first three years after conversion I neglected the Word of God. Since I began to search it diligently the blessing has been wonderful. I have read the Bible through one hundred times, and always with increasing delight. Each time it seems like a new book to me. Great has been the blessing from consecutive, diligent, daily study. I look upon it as a lost day when I have not had a good time over the Word of God."
-George Mueller

"I prayed for Faith, and thought that some day Faith would be come down strike me like lightning. But faith did not seem to come. One day I read in the tenth chapter of Romans, 'Now Faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God.' I had closed my Bible, and prayed for Faith. I now opened my Bible, and began to study, and Faith has been growing ever since."
-D.L. Moody

"The Bible is no mere book but a living creature, with a power that conquers all that oppose it."
-Napoleon

"It is impossible to ensalve mentally or socially a Bible-reading people. The principles of the Bible are the ground-work of human freedom."
-Horace Greeley

---

"The Church and the Bible go together. The Church exsists to proclaim and exalt the Christ of the Bible, and for Nothing Else. A Church that does not Enthrone the Bible in the Lives of its people is False to its Mission."
-Henry H. Halley

"I marvel that Church People are so Indifferent to, and Neglectful of, the Book that tells them about their Saviour. But I marvel more that church LEADERS are doing so little about it. Unquestionably the most fatal weakness of the present day church is the lack of Leadership in the Pulpit on this One Point of Guiding and Leading its people into the ONE HABIT that is the Source and Basis of Everything that the Church exists to accomplish in its people."
-Henry H. Halley

2005/2/2 14:09Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re: Halley's Bible Handbook.. on the reading of the Bible.

Quote:
Here are some excerpts from the "Halley's Bible Handbook" that really provoked and got me convicted towards us as the body of Christ being a people of the Word of God

Does anyone own the "Halleys Bible Handbook"? or use it?

2005/2/4 19:21Profile
lastblast

Michigan

Re:

I have one and have read much of the section on Church History and the commentary sections. After seeing your post I opened it up again and turned to the section on congregational singing. In that, Halley states "a continuous song service is better than one that is continuously interrupted by the leader or the reading of a stanza or by other parts of the service. That ruins the effect."

That is wisdom. He was defintely a man who was after the heart of God and saw the importance of worship/singing. A church we recently were attenders of had very good preaching, was NOT a seeker sensitive ministry, etc. This church in my opinion is one of the best in my area as far as most of the Word of God being preached in Truth and Grace. However, the songleader was constantly breaking into the worship with "words"........I and my husband were very disturbed. It took away from the worship instead of adding to it. As Halley stated "it ruined the effect"........

There are many more good directional "nuggets" in this book as well. An online friend of mine from many years ago told me of this book and I'm glad I purchased it. It's well worth it. Blessings in Him,Cindy

2005/2/4 19:57Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re:

Quote:
Does anyone own the "Halleys Bible Handbook"? or use it?

I have a copy of the 25th Edition. It is an excellent resource, full of study tips, maps, photos, and illustrations and insightful commentary. It's a great tool to use for family devotions. I picked mine up for around $15 , a cheap addition to your library, and worth every penny IMHO.

In Christ,

Ron

2005/2/4 20:30Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

I no longer have my copy, but it is a great resource. There are others which are more complete but there are none that are 'handier'. Some of the earlier editions have information which has now been superceded. One of the great old resources which, as far as I am aware, has never been available online?

2005/2/5 3:46Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy