SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Godly sorrow and repentance over sin

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
dkr777

Godly sorrow and repentance over sin

How does one receive Godly sorrow in repentance over sin?

- dkr777

2012/4/2 14:42Profile
Sree

Re: Godly sorrow and repentance over sin

I believe you are referring to,

2 Corinthian 7-10:-
Godly sorrow brings repentance that leads to salvation and leaves no regret, but worldly sorrow brings death.

To bring this Godly Sorrow you need preachers or pastors who are willing to bring the truth plainly without any intention to please men. In today's Christianity of easy believism where repentance is considered as anti-grace, how can anyone have this Godly Sorrow?

I am sure someone will refer to this verse and say Paul is referring to unbelievers, no he is asking Church of Corinth to Repent that has all the Gifts like tongues and prophesy.

Godly Sorrow comes by looking into Jesus not just as our savior but also as a forerunner who has set an example for us to be obedient to every word of God. Once you start seeing the difference between the life that one lives and life of Jesus he will automatically have this Godly Sorrow, that leads to Brokenness.

2012/4/2 15:02Profile
dkr777

Re:

Yes, I am referring to this verse.

I like how you say this verse is for believers and not unbelievers, that makes sense.

What do you mean by a forerunner? Jesus did obey every word of God. I know in my personal life I do not obey every word of God perfectly.

But is Godly sorrow having "tears" over sin or just recognizing how our life is different from His?

dkr777

2012/4/2 15:11Profile
Sree

Re:

Quote:

What do you mean by a forerunner? Jesus did obey every word of God. I know in my personal life I do not obey every word of God perfectly.

If you see Christianity as a race, Jesus is our forerunner who has run ahead of us. We are running this race following him. So when we are following him, we will know the distance that we are yet to cover to reach him. This distance will produce Godly Sorrow.

Quote:

But is Godly sorrow having "tears" over sin or just recognizing how our life is different from His?

Jesus is our only example so we can see our sins only when we see his life. In short Godly Sorrow is a sorrow that is caused by our sinful life style and it should result in Brokenness. Brokenness is to simply believe that I cannot do it myself.

If you see sin as a lion attacking you then who will flee from it? Only those who knows that they are weak will run from it. So a broken man will run from Sin and seek the grace of God found in Jesus to save him from this fearful lion.

2012/4/2 15:40Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

A good preacher or pastor is wonderful but if you don't have one, I believe wholeheartedly the Holy Spirit can give you the Godly sorrow that leads to repentance.

Quote:

This is just me but immediately Psalm 51 came to mind when I read your question especially verses 2,3 & 4.

"Wash me throughly from mine iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin. For I acknowledge my transgressions: and MY SIN IS EVER BEFORE ME. Against thee, thee only, have I sinned, and done this evil in thy sight."

You really should be asking God this question too! Because brother, if you have not wept over any sin in your life, you have missed out and I would definitely pray about it and ask God to break you over the sin in your life. Especially the lies you (might) tell in your life.

God bless,
Lisa

2012/4/2 16:13Profile
Sree

Re:

Quote:

A good preacher or pastor is wonderful but if you don't have one, I believe wholeheartedly the Holy Spirit can give you the Godly sorrow that leads to repentance.

I agree with you but in the context of 2 Corinthians 7:10, in the Church Of Corinth, many had the gifts of spirit which means they had received the Holy Spirit. But they still did not come to repentance till Paul wrote this letter to cause them a Godly Sorrow. This only tells me that people can turn their ears from the voice of Holy Spirit and hardened their hearts. In such cases you need a preacher like Paul.

But in case of a believer who is still sensitive to the voice of Holy Spirit, the spirit can surely bring a Godly Sorrow leading to Repentance.

People with Leprosy lose sensitivity in their body parts, when they place hands on a hot pan, there is no way they will know until someone tells them to take their hand. But a normal man will know as soon as his hands near a hot pan.

2012/4/2 16:39Profile
jimp

Re:

hi, repenting from sin does not save you... a lot of people repent from sin and go to an eternity in hell... every recovering drug addict or alcoholic who becomes clean and then live very good lives are not going to heaven. once again (for the twentieth time) repentance is giving Jesus rule over your life by dying with Him and raising to new life in Him. it is in this act of repentance that saves and gives power over sin. even after a man sins no more after repenting from sin ,he is guilty. only in knowing Jesus is ther redemption.jimp

2012/4/2 17:55Profile
passerby

Re:

Keep in mind that no one sins and escape God.

Therefore fear God, repent, humble self before Him and if one find His heart hard and blind, do not cease repenting but pray hard that God will soften your heart and lead you to the path of His righteousness.

"And you shall seek me, and find me, when you shall search for me with all your heart". (Jer 29:13)

Excerpt from the "Prayer of Mannaseh" ("Apocrypha", The King James Version):

...for I have sinned above the number of the sands of the sea. My transgressions, O Lord, are multiplied: my transgressions are multiplied, and I am not worthy to behold and see the height of heaven for the multitude of mine iniquities.

I am bowed down with many iron bands, that I cannot lift up mine head, neither have any release: for I have provoked thy wrath, and done evil before thee: I did not thy will, neither kept I thy commandments: I have set up abominations, and have multiplied offences.

Now therefore I bow the knee of mine heart, beseeching thee of grace. I have sinned, O Lord, I have sinned, and I acknowledge mine iniquities: wherefore, I humbly beseech thee, forgive me, O Lord, forgive me, and destroy me not with mine iniquites...

2012/4/2 23:15Profile
El-Bethel

Hi dkr777,

Supposing you had hurt your 2 year old innocent daughter with knife unintentionaly and she is hurt badly, how would you feel when you see the face of that child? Your heart will be full of sorrow and grief.

Sin is more powerful than a dagger and it hurts deep the heart of God, a loving Father. When we see sin as God sees, you will have a godly sorrow. Every time we sin we thrust the dagger into the heart of God.
We don't hurt somebody whom we love so much.

It's a good prayer to pray, "Lord, help me to see sin as You see." Our Lord loves such prayer and start answering immediately.

2012/4/3 3:48Profile
jimp

Re:

hi, the Lord sees sin as something His Son has paid for and has taken the full penalty for. He sees that it is something that has been dealt with forever for there is no sin that is greater than the blood that was shed.when you are in Christ the Father sees Christ and He has buried your sin in the sea of forgetfullness. the important thing is to know that he who has the LOrd has life and he who does not ,has eternal death.. Jesus is the redeemer and the answer to any sin problem so why always tell people that they must repent from sin first. the only answer is that you believe that is the most important thing to do.it is the Holy Spirits job to convict us of sin.at passover (now) it was the blood that was placed that saved those who lived inside as it is today...be sure your sins will find you out is a truth i have seen over and over and applies to all of us so it is clear that you must not sin and the only way in this process is still faith in the cross.jimp

2012/4/3 5:18Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy