SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Baptism/infilling of spirit

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Baptism/infilling of spirit

i noticed in the How can I die with Christ, when I'm dead in sin? (as a non-Christian)thread there was some talk about the baptism of the spirt. no one else started a thread so i thought i would! Ill ask some generic questions.. Are you filled, saved, or just sealed when you are saved? or none of the above? When you recive the baptism do you speak in tougues? Whats the difference of the infilling and baptism of the spirit? I know this is a hot topic that almost splits the body of christ in two (or man has split it) so remember to be full of love!

2005/2/1 22:50Profile
jeremyhulsey

Re: Baptism/infilling of spirit

Thank you PreachParsley for starting the new thread.

To make it easier to discuss, I've copied the other posts from the previous thread and pasted them below:

Quote:
wanderson’s original post:

A question to start. Have you been baptized/filled with the Holy Spirit and Fire? By this we can know you are His(Romans 8:9) and capible of understanding spiritual truths, for truly what you intellectualy play/wrestle with is and are thoughts from the mind of Christ and can only be understood by the Spirit of Christ. If so what is the evidence of your filling?

Quote:
Krispy’s response:
It has nothing to do with baptism by fire... and yadda yadda yadda... dont pay any attention to that. You received Holy Spirit baptism when you were saved. Without it you couldnt be saved. There are those who dont believe that, and they are wrong. There are those who seek "signs and wonders", but the Bible warns that many will come in the last days with signs and wonders and deceiving many.

Stick to the Bible!

Hope that helped,
Krispy

Quote:
Ron’s response to Krispy:
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You received Holy Spirit baptism when you were saved. Without it you couldnt be saved. There are those who dont believe that, and they are wrong.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just thought I ought to put up my hand at this point!

Quote:
My response:)
I'm with Ron on this one.

Quote:
Krispy and Robert’s response:
I'm game...; Count me in.

Quote:
wanderson’s final response:
Your Quote: It has nothing to do with baptism by fire... and yadda yadda yadda... dont pay any attention to that. You received Holy Spirit baptism when you were saved. Without it you couldnt be saved. There are those who dont believe that, and they are wrong. There are those who seek "signs and wonders", but the Bible warns that many will come in the last days with signs and wonders and deceiving many.

This is a interesting opinion, what is your biblical reference for this "specific" issue. I am not "seeking signs and wonders" but evidence of being "baptized" in the Holy Spirit.

Please then expound on the following verse...

Act 19:1 It was while Apollos was in Corinth that Paul passed through the inland districts and came to Ephesus. He found a few disciples there
Act 19:2 and asked them, "Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?" They answered him, "No, we haven't even heard that there is a Holy Spirit."
Act 19:3 He then asked, "Then into what were you baptized?" They answered, "Into John's baptism."
Act 19:4 Then Paul said, "John baptized with a baptism of repentance, telling the people to believe in the one who was to come after him, that is, in Jesus."
Act 19:5 On hearing this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.
Act 19:6 When Paul laid his hands on them, the Holy Spirit came on them, and they began to speak in tongues and to prophesy.
Act 19:7 There were about twelve men in all.

Act 8:12 But when Philip proclaimed the good news of the kingdom of God and of the name of Jesus Christ, men and women believed and were baptized.
Act 8:13 Even Simon believed, and after he was baptized he became devoted to Philip. He was amazed to see the signs and great miracles that were happening.
Act 8:14 Now when the apostles in Jerusalem heard that Samaria had accepted the word of God, they sent Peter and John to them.
Act 8:15 They went down and prayed for them to receive the Holy Spirit.
Act 8:16 Before this he had not come on any of them. They had only been baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.
Act 8:17 Then they laid their hands on them, and they received the Holy Spirit.

and

Act 9:17 So Ananias left and went to that house. He laid his hands on Saul and said, "Brother Saul, the Lord Jesus, who appeared to you on the road as you were traveling, has sent me so that you may see again and be filled with the Holy Spirit."

in conjuction with...

Act 26:12 "That is how I happened to be traveling to Damascus with authority based on a commission from the high priests.
Act 26:13 On the road at noon, O King, I saw from heaven a light that was brighter than the sun flash around me and those who were traveling with me.
Act 26:14 All of us fell to the ground, and I heard a voice asking me in the Hebrew language, 'Saul! Saul! Why are you persecuting me? It is hurting you to keep on kicking against the goads.'
Act 26:15 I asked, 'Who are you, Lord?' The Lord answered, 'I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting.
Act 26:16 But get up and stand on your feet, for I have appeared to you for the very purpose of appointing you to be a servant and witness of what you have seen and of what I will show you.
Act 26:17 I will continue to rescue you from your people and from the gentiles to whom I am sending you.
Act 26:18 You will open their eyes and turn them from darkness to light and from Satan's control to God, so that they might receive the forgiveness of sins and a share among those who are sanctified by faith in me.'
Act 26:19 "And so, King Agrippa, I was not disobedient to the heavenly vision.
Act 26:20 Instead, I first told the people in Damascus and Jerusalem, then the whole countryside of Judea, and then the gentiles to repent, turn to God, and practice works that are consistent with such repentance.

All of these verses show that people were saved first and followed after with the filling of the Holy Spirit.

Show us 1 verse that shows that we recieve the Holy Spirit at salvation.

In Love with a open mind,
William

P.S. I will supply you at no charge a 7 part, down loadable series that reveals from a theological persective the truth of this matter, do you have the courage to listen?

In Christ,
Jeremy Hulsey

2005/2/2 0:00Profile
PastorPancho

I'd have to concede that, according to scripture, the infilling of the Holy Spirit comes through the laying on of hands by those who've already received it. It would also seem to be the case, tho I'll have to look more deeply into this, that those people, or some of them, had already received salvation when, later, they received the laying on of hands. Now, I know that a multitude of misguided individuals are running around sullying the waters, and doing/saying whacky things regarding the Holy Spirit. The reaction of other, more stayed, individual churches and persons is to villify all "moves of the Holy Spirit" as false. My experience is that those (churches & individuals) who don't try to, or ask for, the infilling of the Holy Spirit are surprisingly lacking in growth, salvations, outreaches that have lasting fruit, depth of relationship with God and one another, etc. That, after living in something like 9 different states, and attending myriad different churches, of every degree of belief in the present working of the Holy Spirit. It seems to me, and who am I to say know, that for a person or church to have a real, earth-shaking effect on the world around them, they have to elicit the works of Jesus, all of them, or a good many. That is just what I've seen in 40 some years of life, and 24 years of living for Jesus.

Love ya,

PastorPancho ;-)

2005/2/2 1:06Profile
nimble

what about Romans 8 v. 9?
You, however, are controlled not by the sinful nature but by the Spirit, if the Spirit of God lives in you. And if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Christ.

I think the examples just show the grace of God - he won't leave a "believer" without the opportunity to belong to him! I've been in the position of believing but without the power not be controlled "by the sinful nature" as above - it's not very nice!

2005/2/2 6:01Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
what about Romans 8 v. 9?
You, however, are controlled not by the sinful nature but by the Spirit, if the Spirit of God lives in you. And if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Christ.

I think the examples just show the grace of God - he won't leave a "believer" without the opportunity to belong to him! I've been in the position of believing but without the power not be controlled "by the sinful nature" as above - it's not very nice!

You may have noticed one or two folk who have said 'I agree with Ron'... this is almost certainly where we disagree, so I am not acting as spokesman for that group. :-)

One of the problems we are going to have on this thread is that of terms used. I try to be accurate in using Bible terms, which differ quite often from the way that evangelicals use them. Please read carefully because I will be saying what I am saying and not what you think I am saying. :-)

Many evangelicals use this verse to support their belief but it doesn't say what they have assumed it says. This verse does not say 'if I am Christ's I have His Spirit', it says 'if I have His Spirit I am Christs'. Can you see the difference? Evangelicals have created a method for becoming a Christian. They then say we are Christians because we have gone through a process; we are Christ's because we have gone through a process and... therefore because of this verse, they say, we have the Spirit.

That is not what the verse is saying. The verse is saying that the criteria by which Paul judges that someone is Christ's is that they have the Spirit. Or to put it in the negative form in which he expresses it; [i]... if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Him.
(Rom 8:9 NASB)[/i]

The question to ask here is not; "am I Christ's, because if so I have His Spirit"
but
"do I have His Spirit, because if so I am His'

This is a fundamental difference between my understanding and most other evangelicals.

2005/2/2 6:58Profile
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re:

Quote:
The question to ask here is not; "am I Christ's, because if so I have His Spirit"
but

This is a fundamental difference between my understanding and most other evangelicals.

Hi Bro. Ron,

But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you (Romans 8:11)

I always viewed this verse as meaning that if a person has the Holy Spirit then that Holy Spirit would resurrect them on that great resurrection day. If they did not, they would not be part of the first resurrection. Yet, I view the great evidence of the indwelling of the Holy Spirit as the fruit of the Spirit. I take no real stock in miracles as many will do acts of dunamis and be lost. (Matthew 7:23) Traditionally I have taught and believed that a person truly born again received the Holy Spirit. As a Pentecostal, I also believe that there is a second baptism of power for service. This is a classical view. Maybe I am jumping the gun here. But, can you at least discuss my understanding of Romans 8:11?

Thanks!

-Robert

2005/2/2 7:45Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

Well, I am a bit confused by which 'group' is refereed to here...But Ron, you can be my spokesman any day, especially on this one.

Quote:
Please read carefully because I will be saying what I am saying and not what you think I am saying.

Just like that quote...
Quote:
Many evangelicals use this verse to support their belief but it doesn't say what they have assumed it says. This verse does not say 'if I am Christ's I have His Spirit', it says 'if I have His Spirit I am Christs'. [b]Can you see the difference?[/b] Evangelicals have created a method for becoming a Christian. They then say we are Christians because we have gone through a process; we are Christ's because we have gone through a process and... therefore because of this verse, they say, we have the Spirit.

It's all the difference in the world and this could be spread like a giant garment over a whole host of 'issues' that get misconstrued.

It [i]is[/i] still a process, obviously, but you don't become 'born again', you [b]are[/b] born again, [i]then[/i]...
Quote:
but

"[i]Joh 15:7 If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you.
Joh 15:8 Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit; so shall ye be my disciples.[/i]

2005/2/2 7:52Profile
Jimm

Harare, ZIMBABWE

Re:

Ron

Quote:
Many evangelicals use this verse to support their belief but it doesn't say what they have assumed it says. This verse does not say 'if I am Christ's I have His Spirit', it says 'if I have His Spirit I am Christs'. Can you see the difference? Evangelicals have created a method for becoming a Christian. They then say we are Christians because we have gone through a process; we are Christ's because we have gone through a process and... therefore because of this verse, they say, we have the Spirit.

I hope I have not misunderstood you here sir but if I may add another twist in the same loop:

John1: 12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: 13 Which were born, not of blood, [b]nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.[/b]

This is where my controversy with the evangelicals comes in. If you are unsaved, your will is definitely the will of the flesh is it not? You cannot be born by the will of the flesh. I do not find this to be a tragedy but rather a testimony of the enormity of God’s grace.

James

2005/2/2 8:39Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

This just came to mind;

Eze 11:19 [i] And I will give them one heart, and I will put a new spirit within you; and I will take the stony heart out of their flesh, and will give them an heart of flesh:
Eze 11:20 That they may walk in my statutes, and keep mine ordinances, and do them: and they shall be my people, and I will be their God.[/i]

Would only add, notice the "[b]I[/b]"

2005/2/2 8:45Profile
Jimm

Harare, ZIMBABWE

Re:

Quote:
Would only add, notice the [b]"I"[/b]

Noted sir! And underlined, and bookmarked... :-)

2005/2/2 8:58Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy