SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Understanding a verse

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
MaryJane

Understanding a verse

Then another of His disciples said to Him, Lord, let me first go and bury my father. But Jesus said to him, Follow Me, and let the dead bury their own dead. (Matthew 8:21, 22 NKJV)
________

Was reading in Matthew and I was wondering
if anyone might have some understanding on
This verse. What did Jesus mean when He
said let the dead bury the dead?

Thank you
God bless
Mary

2012/3/19 22:39Profile
White_Stone

North Central Florida

Re: Understanding a verse

Dear MaryJane,

Those who are not saved are 'dead.' If they do not follow Jesus they are 'dead.' The unsaved in this instance can bury the unsaved dead.

This is my understanding on this verse. There will probably be another understanding but this how I take it.

Regards,
white stone

2012/3/19 23:45Profile
Compton

Re: Understanding a verse

I've come to believe two simultaneous understandings for this scripture. They can be accepted at the same time because one nests inside the other.

The first understanding is found within the cultural context of ancient Israel for burial customs. (I'm only familiar with these customs from what I've read.)

Apparently many ancient mid-east cultures buried their dead twice. The first burial was in a family tomb or cist. After decomposition, sometimes years later, there was a second burial ritual in which the skeletal remains were placed in a box sometimes referred to as an Ossuary. (Presumably this was done to make more room in the family grave.) In a culture that took seriously the command, "Honor thy father and mother", it is easy to imagine that these two burial rituals, sometimes years apart, were taken very seriously as duties before God. Obviously, such a sense of duty to a young devout man, waiting for the second burial of his father, would create a conflict in his conscience about picking up and traveling with Jesus.

I believe the second, and deeper understanding of this passage is that Jesus is asking for our willingness to seperate from the very cultural and religous customs that once defined us, so that we may follow him and find a new identity in him.

Interestingly enough, today's entry for Oswald Chambers, captures this very point, especially in regards to family connections.

"In the Old Testament, a person’s relationship with God was seen by the degree of separation in that person’s life. This separation is exhibited in the life of Abraham by his separation from his country and his family. When we think of separation today, we do not mean to be literally separated from those family members who do not have a personal relationship with God, but to be separated mentally and morally from their viewpoints. This is what Jesus Christ was referring to in Luke 14:26."

"If anyone comes to Me and does not hate his father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters, yes, and his own life also, he cannot be My disciple."

(The Message paraphrase has a 'gentler' rendering...)

"Anyone who comes to me but refuses to let go of father, mother, spouse, children, brothers, sisters—yes, even one's own self!—can't be my disciple."

So, with these two perspectives working together, I believe Jesus was asking the man to cut some profoundly defining cultural and religous ties in order to become a disciple. These are just my own beliefs on the topic. I'm interested in seeing what inisghts others might have on this passage. (And other passages like it!)

MC.

2012/3/20 0:12Profile
TrueWitness

Re:

I've been told that when the fellow said "let me bury my father", that was code language for "after my father dies and I get my inheritance" then I will follow you. If you were alive and in their culture back then you would instantly know that. The man's father was not dead when he spoke his answer. Jesus was saying in effect, don't wait for a convenient time, do it now.

2012/3/20 1:32Profile
Compton

Re:

True Witness,

What you are saying make sense to me. It does seem perfectly reasonable that when the man said "let me bury my father", that he was in effect, saying 'let me fulfill my obligations to my family first." (And also let me obtain my inheritiance.)

White_Stone,

I can draw some good meaning from your understanding. It's not hard to imagine that Jesus intended a touch of irony or even wryness with his wording of that comment!

Blessings,

MC

2012/3/20 2:38Profile
roadsign

Re:

Quote:
I believe the second, and deeper understanding of this passage is that Jesus is asking for our willingness to seperate from the very cultural and religous customs that once defined us, so that we may follow him and find a new identity in him.

This explanation finds plenty support elsewhere in scripture. Paul himself surrendered his hold to his past religious/cultural identity, counting it “rubbish”. The epistles refer to: no Jew or Gentile, no servant or slave, no male or female, etc - referring here to marks of identity within society – what define you. In other words, regardless of your distinctive marks – that would now be immaterial in view of your new identity. Allowing those marks to define what you can do or can’t do would merely restrict you in your new identity in Christ.

In our mobile society it may be difficult to grasp the radical implications of Jesus’ command on his listener – and also on Paul’s choice himself. Just think: Only recently in our own society religious identity stopped having significant weight in one’s sense of who they were. Now many readily switch religious affiliations at the drop of a hat. Our own cultural marks of identity are changing so rapidly, that we hardly get time to form our identity around them. For most of human history your career was marked out for you: A young man followed in the footsteps of his father. He knew who he was and would be. A girl knew her future identity as a mother in the home. Not so for today.

Today, we don’t define ourselves according to our parentage or our heritage so much, and so packing up and moving to the other side of the world - eating their foods, etc may not be so radical. Doing so is not typically viewed as a mark of betrayal to your heritage. And you can always fly back for a parent’s funeral.

But consider this: With nationalism being such a powerful mark of identity today, perhaps that is where Jesus’ call would rub most. Imagine losing that – along with the vast array of privileges associated with that - which together mark your sense of identity. And the concept of FREEDOM is deeply embedded in our western nations. Yet Jesus calls us to be a slave. What would a modern day objection sound like: “Lord first let me go and ….. serve my career? Enjoy my possessions a few more years (ie, preserve my identity through them)

Diane

2012/3/20 6:47Profile
MaryJane

Re:

Greetings and thank you for the wonderful responses. I feel I have gained much insight with what each of you have shared. As I was reading these replies and praying over them these thoughts came to mind.

If this verse is all about letting go and not holding on to tradition, or religious customs then what He is asking the disciple is no small thing. The deeper meaning of what Jesus is saying is let go of all these worldly attachments , let go of these ideas and traditions about living a Godly life and come follow Me. Jesus is really shaking up this disciples world with those few words.

Makes me think of these other verses when Jesus says take up your cross and follow me. The cross represents pain, suffering, shame and death in the world and yet Jesus tells us to embrace that road to take it up every day and willingly follow Him. Seems the under lying thought in both passages is then a breaking away or leaving behind our thoughts and notions on this life and embracing Him solely and completely.

I was thinking that only when we do this... end completely our attachments and the hold this world has on us does Jesus truly begin His work of changing our hearts and so filling them with His life that all of our previous relationship now have the proper and right place in our hearts and attitudes. By daily following Him we are so filled with His love that worldly attachments(career, home, education, reputation), traditions(family customs, holidays, church based attendances,nationalism), and relationships(families, friends, coworkers, spouses, children), are all given their proper place. As was said our identity is now found in Him and not in the world but it goes even further because He is now our first thought in all that we do. We are carrying that cross daily , when one carries a cross they do not forget what it represents and that is what is so awesome, to the world/unsaved the cross is death but we know the whole story, we know that it truly means life!! Life renewed in Him. So truly let the dead bury the dead, you come follow Me and have life!!

Just a few of my ponder this morning as I was thinking on this. Thank you again I have found this exchange very uplifting and profitable to my walk with JESUS!!

God bless
mary

2012/3/20 9:03Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy