SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Study: "Born Again" Linked to Brain Atrophy

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
brothagary

Re:

these things i do ,leaving those things that are befor me
i press towrds the mark ,toward the high calling that is in jesus christ

if living in the present and having a hope of spiritual substance that does not origanate ,in our old carnl mind and brain ,,,,and putting off the old man and it deeds ,and becoming a new creations with spirual desires ,, means that we are called brain damage ,or that it has an effect on our brain ,,,,so be it

2012/3/18 21:04Profile
brothagary

Re:

in reality ,,they would need to do numerous repetative experments over and over again , to no weather this is just a coincidence or not ,,,,,,,,,and they havent even come close to doing this

2012/3/18 21:08Profile

Re:

Attitudes towards Christian parents in Britian........

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/8353496/Foster-parent-ban-no-place-in-the-law-for-Christianity-High-Court-rules.html

I think this kinda ties into what we happening as attidudes towards Christians in general.........bro Frank

2012/3/18 21:40
roadsign

Re:

Quote:
in reality ,,they would need to do numerous repetative experments over and over again , to no weather this is just a coincidence or not ,,,,,,,,,and they havent even come close to doing this

And scientists would agree. Perhaps the ones who show signs of atrophied intelligence are those who simply read a published report like this and don’t check it out before running with it. One agnostic reflects his wisdom in this response to the report:

“I plan to stand back and watch the fireworks erupt. And I’ll await the peer review and follow-up studies which will, someday, tell us how valid this study truly is.”
http://www.agnostic-library.com/ma/2011/06/02/does-religion-cause-brain-damage/
Likewise it would reflect our intelligence best by not reacting at this point. See what the peer reviews come out with.

Meanwhile here is a study, taken from Wikipedia which may do our intellectual capacities much more good:

“Furthermore, a randomized-control study published in 2011 found that aerobic exercise could increase the size of the hippocampus in adults aged 55 to 80 and also improve spatial memory.

Diane

2012/3/18 22:20Profile
savedtoserve

Re:

This is one of the most ridiculous things I've heard in a while! Sorry if I'm not serious enough about the whole thing, but I actually think it's pretty funny. What will they come out with next?!

2012/3/18 22:37Profile
Compton

Re:

Quote:
Likewise it would reflect our intelligence best by not reacting at this point. See what the peer reviews come out with.

Better leave this subject to the experts eh? ;)

MC

2012/3/18 22:40Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Maybe that is when these folks were tested - after a church potluck dinner! Yes, the men here get very agreeable, many nodding at whatever without hearing anything!

(This made my husband chuckle! Reckon these folks know how to laugh?)

2012/3/18 23:01Profile
elias7291

Los Angeles

Re: Study: "Born Again" Linked to Brain Atrophy

For although they knew God, they did not honor him as God or give thanks to him, but they became futile in their thinking, and their foolish hearts were darkened.

Romans 1:21

THAT ABOUT SUMS UP WHAT I THINK OF THIS NONSENSICAL ARTICLE

2012/3/18 23:09Profile
Compton

Re:

Very funny Ginny!

There is a humerous story that comes to mind illustrating how easily our experiences can intepret facts into narritives.

Once a scientific survey was taken of four different groups of religous ministers to test their reactions to being blindfolded and pushed down a flight of stairs.

Those in Methodist group fell down the stairs, picked themselves up and
said, "That was a character building experience, so how do I learn from it?"

The Catholics picked themselves up and said, "I must have done something really bad to deserve that."

When the Presbyterian group tumbled down the stairs, they picked themselves up and said, "That was planned and inevitable, but I'm glad its over."

And when the Baptist ministers fell down the stairs, they each picked themselves up and said, "Which one of my deacons pushed me?"

MC

2012/3/18 23:16Profile
roadsign

Re:

Quote:
Better leave this subject to the experts eh?

Or rather, simply stand back and watch them! Some peer will come along and criticize this report for limiting the project to mostly Alzheimer’s patients. Who knows. Obviously we have a totally unscientific suggestion, clearly unproven. Highschool science should be enough to reveal that to most people. …. if only….

For years science has been using the media to advance unscientifically proven claims and imminent “breakthroughs”. How many times do you hear words like “suggest”, “possible”, “could be”? Unfortunately the public has a terrible tendency to believe the media; once a suggestion is put forth it sticks as fact – even if later proven otherwise. And here’s just another case.

But then the public loves to hear bad reports about someone – and then milk it for all its worth. After all, it’s exhilarating to feel you are more right than “them”. ….. Of course true born-again Christians would have no need to engage in such behavior - would they?

Let’s admit, brains have often been the object of prejudice and persecution. Consider how blacks and also women were assumed to have lesser brains and thus considered intellectually deficient. Christians themselves have promoted such assumptions in the past.

This present report is sheer mockery to me because the researchers would have no idea what “born again” means. Add to that a Barna study which asserts that a large percentage of Americans claim to be born again (had an experience) but show no evidence of church involvement or interest in Bible reading. Besides, how many dedicated zealous churchers have given the label “born again” a bad rap justifiably?

So, the real tragedy may not be the foolishness of our “experts” or of the public – but the real possibility of Romans 2:24 “God’s name is blasphemed among the Gentiles because of you” - “You” being those who take God’s name in vain – call themselves one of his, but do not authentically live the kingdom way of thinking and living.

What do you think?

Diane

2012/3/19 8:07Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy