SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Does Theology Matter? Most Christians Today Say No...

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
iceman9

New York

Re: Does Theology Matter? Most Christians Today Say No...

Thanks for posting Krispy! Great article.

2012/3/14 11:32Profile

Re:

Krispy, I have heard you say that you believe in the sign gifts of the Spirit, Did you know that RC is a cessasionist? Did you know that he is a partial preterist? I am not even sure what a partial preterist is, I know what a preterist is. Any theology that leads one to be a cessasionist is not sound. The study of God's Word is vital and allowing the Holy Spirit to lead and guide one into all truth is vital. The deductions of mans reasonings outside of illumination will ultimately lead to a denial of the vital miracle working God of the Bible....... Frank

2012/3/14 12:34

Re:

Frank... that wasnt the point of the article Whether you believe what Sproul believes about the spiritual gifts is irrelevent to the article itself.

If I had not said it was written by Sproul I suspect you would praise it. But as it was, I felt I needed to give credit to the author of it. People were going to ask who wrote it anyway.

Krispy

2012/3/14 13:00
rbanks

Re:

Krispy do you believe that the life of the Holy Spirit comes out of doctrine or do you believe that doctrine comes out of the life of the Holy Spirit. In other words do you believe that doctrine produces life or that life produces the doctrines that we are to receive? This is very important because many like RC Sproul let their doctrinal understanding limit the ministry of the Holy Spirit. They don't seem to believe that the Holy Spirit can do the same today as He did in the days of the apostles.

2012/3/14 13:09Profile

Re:

Quote:
This is very important because many like RC Sproul let their doctrinal understanding limit the ministry of the Holy Spirit. They don't seem to believe that the Holy Spirit can do the same today as He did in the days of the apostles.

But isnt it your doctrine that makes you say that about RC Sproul? The train goes in both directions.

See, you dont like his doctrine on spiritual gifts so in your mind everything he has to say is wrong. I dont believe that. I dont believe in some things that Pentecostalism teaches, but I dont discount the whole thing.

It amazes me how quickly Charismatics dismiss any teacher that doesnt agree with them on gifts... I actually think there is a balance to be found. Gifts are not the focus. If they are then we are in violation of 2 Cor 13.

Krispy

2012/3/14 13:13
rbanks

Re:

Hebrews 13:7-8 (KJV)
7 Remember them which have the rule over you, who have spoken unto you the word of God: whose faith follow, considering the end of their conversation.
8 Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

2012/3/14 13:20Profile

Re:

Where was the gift of tongues in the OT?

Krispy

2012/3/14 13:30
ZekeO

Pietermaritzburg, South Africa

I agree wholeheartedly with the basic premise of what he is saying.

Let me says this though, what is needed is 'spirit filled correct doctrine'.

There are two scriptures from the gospels which explain what I mean:

1)Mark 12:24 And Jesus answering said unto them, Do ye not therefore err, because ye know not the scriptures, neither the power of God?

2)John 5:39 Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me. 40 And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life.

And another from Corinthians:

1 Cor 2:11-16 For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.
12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.
13 Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.
14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know [them], because they are spiritually discerned.
15 But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man.
16 For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? But we have the mind of Christ.

What is a certainty is that God never contradicts himself, neither does he lie.

What is also a certainty is that unless I know what God is really like, in other words, the spirit of who he is. I cannot possibly understand what he means when something is written in the word.

I sense that much theology is undertaken without knowing who the author is, and what kind of 'person' he actually is. Attempting to study God through lenses of human wisdom can lead to what Jesus's comments were in the gospels.

So yes, theology is important, but let it come out of a place where it is in keeping with 'the spirit' of the original author.

2012/3/14 13:42Profile
rbanks

Re:

Matthew 16:12 (KJV)
12 Then understood they how that he bade them not beware of the leaven of bread, but of the doctrine of the Pharisees and of the Sadducees.

Matthew 22:33 (KJV)
33 And when the multitude heard this, they were astonished at his doctrine.

Mark 1:27 (KJV)
27 And they were all amazed, insomuch that they questioned among themselves, saying, What thing is this? what new doctrine is this? for with authority commandeth he even the unclean spirits, and they do obey him.

Mark 11:18 (KJV)
18 And the scribes and chief priests heard it, and sought how they might destroy him: for they feared him, because all the people was astonished at his doctrine.

Luke 4:32 (KJV)
32 And they were astonished at his doctrine: for his word was with power.

2012/3/14 13:43Profile

Steven, before i even dare to enter into this, could you explain to me what this Precious Bit of Scripture means to you:

"The wind blows where it wishes, and you hear its sound, but you do not know where it comes from or where it goes. So it is with everyone who is born of the Spirit.”

John 3:8 (ESV)

or humor me a bit a more in my foolishness, when i awake, prepare coffee and eat of the Word of God, so that i can KNOW the God of Word, is that "studying theology"? because this morning, i entered into the First Epistle to the Corinthians, carefully thru Chapters One thru Five.

Now if that SEEMS to be boasting, i boast not in my own flesh, but i boast in the LORD.

Now i know that i know, where the Holy Spirit led me, in reading this portion, but i sure would be in graditude, if you explained what this Portion means to you, vis-a-vis what Mr Sproul wrote:

"And I, when I came to you, brothers, did not come proclaiming to you the testimony of God with lofty speech or wisdom. For I decided to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ and him crucified. And I was with you in weakness and in fear and much trembling, and my speech and my message were not in plausible words of wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power, so that your faith might not rest in the wisdom of men but in the power of God.

Yet among the mature we do impart wisdom, although it is not a wisdom of this age or of the rulers of this age, who are doomed to pass away. But we impart a secret and hidden wisdom of God, which God decreed before the ages for our glory. None of the rulers of this age understood this, for if they had, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory. But, as it is written,

“What no eye has seen, nor ear heard,
nor the heart of man imagined,
what God has prepared for those who love him”—

these things God has revealed to us through the Spirit. For the Spirit searches everything, even the depths of God. For who knows a person's thoughts except the spirit of that person, which is in him? So also no one comprehends the thoughts of God except the Spirit of God. Now we have received not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, that we might understand the things freely given us by God. And we impart this in words not taught by human wisdom but taught by the Spirit, interpreting spiritual truths to those who are spiritual.
The natural person does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are folly to him, and he is not able to understand them because they are spiritually discerned. The spiritual person judges all things, but is himself to be judged by no one. “For who has understood the mind of the Lord so as to instruct him?” But we have the mind of Christ."

1 Corinthians 2:1-16

------------------------------------------------------

i know that's a whole Chapter of a Pauline Epistle, but It is the Word of God, so after you pasted a whole section of what a man wrote, you, of course wouldnt mind me, posting the Word, and to see what that Passage speaks to you via the Comforter, God the Holy Ghost, the Teacher of Teachers.

what does the Above Passages speak to you? humbly, neil

2012/3/14 13:44

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy