SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : SermonIndex Support : How do I subscribe to threads such that I receive notice of new comments?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
CarlosBCG

How do I subscribe to threads such that I receive notice of new comments?

I belong to too many forums and otherwise on the internet to be coming around checking on threads I post or comment on.

Is there a way to subscribe to threads here such that I am emailed notice of new comments?

I searched this site and found a thread to the affect that there is a box that I can checkmark to subscribe but I see no such box whether I start a new thread or just comment into an existing thread.

Anybody got any clue as to how to subscribe here.

It's just not workable for me to remember much less keep checking back manually for new posts.

Carlos

2012/3/10 19:54Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re: How do I subscribe to threads such that I receive notice of new comments?

Brother, there is no such feature here. While I agree that it could be helpful sometimes to have a way to subscribe to a thread I think it can also have a negative side by way of promoting a drive-by mentality of posting without really becoming a part of the community.

While SI isn't a church or a suitable substitute for face-to-face fellowship with other believers, SI is a little different than most forums and I believe that those who operate this site have considered the matter of forum functionality very carefully and prayerfully.

In Christ,

Ron

2012/3/10 20:30Profile
CarlosBCG

Re:

Thanks for the response Ron but it's not so much a matter of drive-by mentality as much as a practical matter of convenience for those who post here.

That's like saying that it's better to not allow access to the internet on cell phones and instead to force people to talk one on one with each other when they can find time to see each other in person.

I appreciate the desire to build community Ron but one does not build community by forcing people to be inconvenienced and greatly so just to build community.

Community, real community can grow all on it's own with or without a subscribe functionality but not having such a functionality just makes things tougher for one's like me who are used to the convenience of such a function all over the place and who will be greatly inconvenienced by it's lack.

As a brand new community member, I have not yet come to see the value of this community (compared to others) to make it worthwhile for me to keep having to come back and check all the time for new posts on every thread I may start or participate in. Quite frankly that will likely make me get more involved elsewhere as I just don't have the time or inclination to be doing that.

Carlos

2012/3/10 20:56Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
Is there a way to subscribe to threads here such that I am emailed notice of new comments?

This feature was taken off the forums a long time ago for many reasons. One namely security for the server and to also ensure the domain sermonindex.net is not associated with spam or spurious emails.

2012/3/10 23:19Profile

Re: Drive By Mentality

Brother you ought to consider the benefit of having to make the effort. After all your posts will no doubt be a blessing when they are Spirit led and come from a sincere desire to bless others. That must be worth the effort.

2012/4/21 16:24
CarlosBCG

Re:

I have come back here temporarily due to some bad experiences on some other forums and am once again wishing to encourage the decision makers here to put this capability back into the forum.

I know that what I have said has all but been discounted but as I said before you don't build community by inconveniencing people.

I am going to see if I can create a SeaMonkey Javascript script to give me the functionality I seek (I'll wait to see how it goes on the forum first before I undertake to do that) but I would highly encourage you all again to consider adding this convenient functionality into the forum.

I mean it's your forum and you are of course free to do whatever you wish but I see no reason whatsoever, that makes sense at least, to keep this functionality out.

It's one thing to come back and check manually on one or a very few threads. But it is incredibly annoying and counterproductive, no matter how Spirit led my posts may be, to have to keep coming back here more and more and more and more the longer I stick around to see if ANY of threads I have started or participated in have new responses that require attention.

If my posts or that of any others are indeed Spirit led then this forum should make things as easy as possible with respect to using the forum so as not to unduly hinder such Spirit led posting in my opinion.

Carlos

2012/8/19 21:26Profile
hulsey

Missouri

Re:

Carlos,

Do you listen to any of the sermons freely available for download on this site? The site is not built around a forum but around worthy sermons and preaching. Efforts have been taken to make the forum secondary as it should be, and make the sermons more prominent. If it were up to me the forum wouldn't occupy the front page at all.

From your other posts recently in this forum I get the idea that you've had some bad experiences recently in other forums. I would encourage you, if you haven't already, to take advantage of the real resource on this website. Listen to the treasure of godly sermons and be encouraged by them brother.

2012/8/19 22:10Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re: How do I subscribe to threads such that I receive notice of new comments?

Brother Carlos,

This forum used to have all the bells and whistles but was hacked a few times so now it is a minimalistic forum. I don’t like it either but I like the people so I stay. You will have to choose what is more important to you.

God bless,
Lisa

PS: What I do is save the page as a favorite with the date so if I want to go back I can find it easier – that is what helps me.

2012/8/19 22:12Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy