SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics :  The Story of "the Good Homosexual"

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 )
PosterThread
roadsign

Re:

Thank you for posting these links, JIG. It helps me to understand your concerns. The one site is obviously a mission to stamp out all psychiatrists. The other sites address drug overuse. Interesting, it is actually a body of psychiatrists and mental health experts who themselves are lobbying against the heavy reliance of professionals and pharmaceuticals – because that cannot remedy the mental health crisis. BTW, that’s the same group who is calling on the church to become actively involved in the nurture of children by becoming an authoritative community. At least some of the “culprits” are admitting they can’t fix the problem, and that nourishing relationship is essential. On this point they actually agree with scriptures – the epistles which stress relationship so strongly, and the repeated command to love your neighbor.

So here you have it: The church is receiving the call. However, we’re not ready to take the torch. This requires a radical change in the church – the entire way we do things. As long as we see the pattern as in Becky’s church, we will be deficient in our capacity to heal and nurture to spiritual maturity. We will merely remain part of the problem. And drugs will continue to be the treatment of choice for many. With drugs, you can feel better right away, and not have to go through the long painful process of changing your thinking and doing.

As long as our institutions – church, school, family and so forth remain trapped in their debilitated patterns and do not take up the challenge to change, the health care field will not have much choice but to provide remedial bandaid treatment. And when society is weak, the hegemony of science and health care will find it easy to exploit.

So we are at a stalemate – or rather a crisis. The church can’t fix itself and neither can the state. We need God to radically change us. And he can. But we must see the need. If it takes our “Good Samaritan” – whoever that may be - to expose our own failure to fulfill the great commandment – then so be it.

Jesus’ command: “Go and do likewise” was an act of mercy. He did not condemn the lawyer, but he did show him what to do to fulfill the law – through a “Samaritan” of all people!

And that is our calling today - within the very context of a fallen world.

Diane

2012/3/11 18:43Profile

Re:

I suspect, Diane, that I haven't seen the 'lack' of help that you are referring to. I've been very blessed in three of the States that I lived in to find Godly counsel.
Godly counsel defined as 'by The Word', good listeners and supportive prayer. In Charlotte, NC, just for one - there's a number of professional ministries besides and I'm sure the same can be found in most States now. Christian counselors - if one cannot find a worthy Pastor or Elder or friend.
Many times though - the person we counsel with, if they're saved or unsaved, don't want "Biblical" counseling - they want to get out of reality or responsibility or want sympathy to excuse a sinful habit. The reasons for denying GOD's Word to do the work that it 'can' do are endless.
I do recommend you read "Reality Therapy" and "Choice Theory" that most libraries carry - though secular, they surely do lay a good foundation and transition from traditional to soley Biblical counseling. Strange as it may seem to some - I know that at the time, GOD used that Marine psychiatrist to lead me to read about Reality therapy in order to bring me to Biblical counseling without fear - though William Glasser is definitely not saved - I needed to hear what he, being a secular psychiatrist, was having such success with.

If we're having problems loving our neighbor, with caring for the hurting or someone dying on the side of the road - I think it would be good for us to also examine Matthew 25:31-46.
If the "Love of GOD" doesn't move some - it may have to be "the fear of GOD", apparently, lest that chpt wouldn't be there.

Thanking GOD for Who He is!

2012/3/11 19:29
roadsign

Re:

Quote:
"the fear of GOD

Yes, JIG, it really does come down to the fear of God. My words are all mere wood and stubble, but when we encounter God, then we become changed people.

Diane

2012/3/11 21:05Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: The Story of "the Good Homosexual"

Diane,

I did not read very many responces to your question so what I am going to say may have been said by another...

It really matters little who helped the girl, if indeed, she was helped. There are a lot of people among the ungodly who do humantarian work but whose heart is far from God. They may do acts of kindness to prove to themselves they do not need God, that they can be good without Him...or just maybe they have a compassionate nature and are concerned about others.

Helping a hurting individual will not earn the lesbian's entrance into heaven nor will it anyone else. Acts of kindness will characterize the life of a godly person but it will never be one's means to salvation.

BTW, I would not trust a lesbian with my granddaughter, even if she did assist my granddaughter. Being a lesbian is totally different from being a Samaritan. In todays world one would compare a Samariatan to a person who assists one of a different race, or religion of the prevailing one in the community.

ginnyrose

2012/3/11 22:00Profile
roadsign

Re:

Quote:
I did not read very many responces to your question

JIG, I trust that you will get an opportunity to read the responses in the earlier posts. I’m sure you will be blessed by these thoughtful contributions as I was. For now, I think the topic is adequately covered. I would prefer that we put closure to it now. Perhaps we can cover these other elements in a new thread. There’s so much that could be said, because we have a vast multifaceted topic here. You have done a lot of thinking about these things.

Tomorrow is a new day, and it’s going to be sunny and warm here. Winter is passing. And in the same way, it seems fitting that this thread pass as well. Let’s look for new blessings filled with the sunshine of joy.

Diane

2012/3/11 22:19Profile
jdlashley

South Carolina

Re:

Since I am new and have just read this post, may I just give you what I got from it when I read it?

After having read some of the responses, my impression wasn't of someone trying to give an endorsement of homosexuality. Or taking liberty with scripture. But the first thing that came to my mind was, "This could be an indictment against me or any other person who names the name of Christ."

As Christians we are to be sensitive to the needs of others as our Lord has commanded us. What kind of a testimony is it when a lost person (be it a practicing homosexual, atheist, pagan, etc.) who's compassion derives from within themselves and their own sense of misguided humanism, can shame us as Christians due to our lack of inaction. Even though we are the possessors of the Holy Spirit, a supernatural source, and are to have deeper springs of love and compassion.

A story like this should light a fire under us as this could be a real scenario. A young impressionable mind, or older impressionable mind, could be influenced by a source that might be ultimately damaging. All because we have been negligent.

2012/3/11 22:54Profile

Re:

Good Morning Diane. Hope you're resting/rested.

Your last post [2012/3/11 19:19] should be addressed to Ginnyrose - not "JIG".

His Best to all.

2012/3/12 0:58
roadsign

Re:

Quote:
Your last post [2012/3/11 19:19] should be addressed to Ginnyrose

My sincere apologies to both of you JIG and Ginnyrose! Last night I was more interested in calling it quits on everything - the day, the season, and the topic - than listening further. So, here I am demonstrating my need for conviction in this very topic.

I see we are not quite finished here. Ginnyrose raises a valid point which needs some treatment:
Quote:
Acts of kindness will characterize the life of a godly person but it will never be one's means to salvation

Interesting, the law expert had asked Jesus, “What must I do to inherit eternal life?” and the answer was “Go do likewise?” Even in the final judgment, our treatment of others will be the test point. Matt. 25:40 “Whatever you did for the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.”

So how do we reconcile Jesus words with our prized doctrine “sola fide” (faith alone):

41 “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42 For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’

I would say that it is essential to understand the man whom Jesus addressed his parable. In order to make correct conclusions we must look at the parable through that man's eyes, not our own. What would the law expert have understood from Jesus?

Here’s a question: Might our “evangelistic” works – our strategies for winning converts actually conceal us from a failure to “be sensitive to the needs of others as our Lord has commanded us”. (to quote jdlashley)

What about our constant attentiveness to certain laws or doctrines – with no awareness of what is going on in another person – or no awareness of the general societal angst today?

Diane

2012/3/12 8:35Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy