SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Kobo eReader vs Kindle and other devices?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Kobo eReader vs Kindle and other devices?

Saints,

I am interested in anyone who uses these ereader devices and how they feel they are useful. I have been researching into turning alot of the text content of the site into epub / kindle and .mobi file formats so that it can be downloaded by mobile devices, etc. Let me know your thoughts on this and if this would be a need or good feature?

I do feel alot of the internet will be accessed by mobile and devices and having text content for these formats will be useful.

2012/3/9 1:30Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re: Kobo eReader vs Kindle and other devices?

Hi Greg,

I use a Nook eReader. It is manufactured by Barnes & Noble. I enjoy the device quite a bit, even if the e-selection of books might not include many of the classics that I desire. For instance, I can currently only find Why Revival Tarries in the Nook e-bookstore when I search for Leonard Ravenhill.

In addition, I have the Kindle app on my Android OS phone. It is a great device as well, and it allows me to buy books that are only available through Amazon (like Brother Ron Bailey's latest book).

I know that this might not be helpful. However, I do use my eReaders quite often. I have several hundred books in my Nook and just a few on my Android phone. I sometimes download books via Google Books as well and upload them into my Nook.

I will continue to remember this in prayer.

2012/3/9 1:57Profile
ET101

Re:

Not a direct answer to your question, Greg, but maybe helpful still: I recently discovered calibre ebook management and it's been a God-send for me:

http://calibre-ebook.com/

It converts between so many ebook formats so I can just about read any* (*only a mild exaggeration) ebook on any device.. . (security/copyright issues permitting - the manual goes into good detail about issues, and what it can do).

Calibre can of course also be used to just read the various ebook formats on a PC/Mac. . .

It also has an RSS-reader type function that converts RSS feeds into an ebook. . .so I can read my favourite sites as say an epub ebook on a mobile device. . .

In short; I would say 'yes please.' If the texts are available as ebooks, and using something like calibre, I can read them very easily.

2012/3/9 7:42Profile
swimmer

I am not an expert, but I have been able to use Instapaper to send a web page (article) to my Kindle account and then download it to my Kindle. It's a little tedious, and stretched my technical abilities, so if there is an easier way, I am sure it would benefit some of us less technical people. I really do not enjoy reading on my computer, and that is one of the main reasons I got the Kindle.

2012/3/9 8:33Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Quote:
sermonindex wrote:
I am interested in anyone who uses these ereader devices and how they feel they are useful.

I love my kindle and that is not to say that the others are bad; I started with the kindle and have not used anything else.

Where I work does not have internet access but when I turn the wireless on on my kindle (to shop at their store), I have three bars or more. I read somewhere that kindle uses Verizon cell towers in the US; you will have to check the kindle forums ( http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle ) to see who they use in Canada.

Any eReader is an amazing invention! I do not have to carry books with me, just my kindle with 100's of books and Bibles!

God bless,
Lisa

2012/3/9 10:23Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re:

Quote:
swimmer:
I am not an expert, but I have been able to use Instapaper to send a web page (article) to my Kindle account and then download it to my Kindle. It's a little tedious, and stretched my technical abilities, so if there is an easier way, I am sure it would benefit some of us less technical people.

I downloaded cute pdf ( http://www.cutepdf.com/ )it's free; I then make a pdf through PRINT and plug my kindle into my laptop, copy and paste it into my kindle file. I don't know how to do what you are doing with your kindle but this is how I do it! I'm sure there's an even easier way for both us!!

God bless, Lisa

2012/3/9 10:30Profile
Sree

A brother from my Church has converted all ebooks of Zac Pooen available as PDF in CFC into kindle acceptable book format with indexing feature. He then gifted a kindle with these books imported in them to his church Elder in India. I liked that idea and I believe it will be very useful for someone to just quickly browse though ebooks. So it will be good if you can make these articles and text sermons into ebooks with indexing capabilities.

2012/3/9 10:33Profile
dougr777

Hi Greg,

I have used my Kindle for about a year now and have enjoyed using it... I recently sold it so I can upgrade to one with more color like a Nook or Kindle Fire, (and a larger screen). They are very useful and helpful to manage documents on the go in book format. I don't think you will go wrong adding *.mobi file formats to what you currently offer.

Another thought is if the content is public domain on your site you could convert it and start to list it on the Amazon site so the books are free to download. I'm not sure how to do that but I have downloaded alot of Christian books for free on my Kindle which has been nice.

Doug

2012/3/9 11:14Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
Another thought is if the content is public domain on your site you could convert it and start to list it on the Amazon site so the books are free to download. I'm not sure how to do that but I have downloaded alot of Christian books for free on my Kindle which has been nice.

Yes brother, that was my thinking also to convert these and put them up freely in many of the free distribution centers for ebooks etc. Thanks for all the feedback in this forum thread. I like the black and white version of kobo the best right now. I stare at a color screen for so long and its very much more relaxing to look at the simple black and white. Though I do not own a reader I just tried it out at the store!

2012/3/9 11:54Profile
iceman9

New York

Greg,

I use a Kindle. It would be a real blessing to have the text sermons etc. available for Kindle. Kindle devices also are able to read PDFs, but text that is formatted for Kindles is much better and easier to read when avail.

Thanks Greg!

2012/3/9 14:18Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy