SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Tongues: Controversial, Foolish and Offensive yet a Mysterious+Powerful Weapon in Spiritual Warfare

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

1. Tongues edifies and strengthens us for battle

But the battle is the Lords, not ours in our own stregenth or gifts not distributed by the Holy Spirit as He wills.

2. When we pray in tongues we are literally petitioning the things of God before the throne to allow Him to answer as He pleases.

Christ is our propitiation and petition before the Father. Faith is what the power that brings the answer that pleases God for His glory and His Son's reward, not the speaking without understanding.

1 Corinthians 14:15-20 What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also. Else when thou shalt bless with the spirit, how shall he that occupieth the room of the unlearned say Amen at thy giving of thanks, seeing he understandeth not what thou sayest? For thou verily givest thanks well, but the other is not edified. I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all: Yet in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue. Brethren, be not children in understanding: howbeit in malice be ye children, but in understanding be men.

In Christ: Phillip

2012/3/9 2:45Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

Paul does more teaching on the purpose and activity of the Holy Spirit in 1 Cor. 2. Paul speaks of ministry flowing not out of his own power or eloquence, but that the power of the Holy Spirit flowed through him, strengthening and empowering him for ministry. I have found praying in tongues to be a very powerful part of this strengthening and empowering. Paul tells us that when a man prays in tongues that he edifies himself. I have found this to be very true. I have also found tongues to be extraordinarily powerful when I am facing difficult issues that would tend to cause me to walk in the flesh. When we face emotional and mental stresses, and we all do, these things often have the effect of causing our flesh to rise up. Since we need to walk in the spirit, I have found praising the Lord in tongues to help me put the flesh down and allow the Holy Spirit to have ascendency as I begin to walk in the spirit rather than in the flesh.

Paul also teaches us in this same chapter that through the Holy Spirit we can know the things of the Spirit of God. He sums it up with a very strong statement. We have the mind of Christ. This means that we have His mind in the matter. We know what He thinks. We know His will. The problem is that we do not always know this in our own mind. It is something we know in our spirit through fellowship and communion with the Holy Spirit. Paul also tells us that when a man prays in tongues it is his spirit that prays although his understanding remains unfruitful. If in my spirit I have the mind of Christ and know His will and His heart in the matter, and if praying in tongues is my spirit praying, then praying in tongues allows me to pray the perfect will of God in any situation. It is a very powerful way to pray and one that I have found to be very helpful. When I do not know how I should pray, I do know that if I can pray in the spirit I can pray what my mind may not comprehend but is the perfect will of God in the situation.

It must be understood though that there is a difference between the ministry of tongues and interpretation (two of the nine gifts of the spirit that must act in concert if the believer is to be in proper spiritual order in the assembly) and praying or speaking in tongues on a personal level.

Although I have had God give me the interpretation of my own prayer in tongues from time to time. In that situation I became aware of what I was praying over a situation with my understanding while I was praying in tongues.

I am so thankful for the indwelling presence of the Holy Spirit and for the fact that God has chosen to establish tongues as a part of sending the Holy Spirit. I have found it so powerful and wonderful in my own life.

2012/3/9 17:50Profile
EvangelTam

Re:

I actually have a question for you guys.

When I pray most of my prayer is either in groanings and tongues with things I cannot express in words. However, I also force myself to pray in english and petition things in english that are important to me, I feel very burdened in my spirit when I do this and would much rather go back to groaning and tongues. The problem is I dont know what I am praying for when I groan so a part of me feels like its important because well if do not know what I intercede for then I could be missing somethings that I do want to pray for, ex specific family

What would be a good way to approach this?

In Christ
Evangel

2012/3/9 23:23Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

Pray in the spirit, and pray with your understanding. Both are important. Don't forsake either.

2012/3/9 23:32Profile

Re:

"Pray in the spirit, and pray with your understanding. Both are important. Don't forsake either."

Amen.

2012/3/9 23:35
carters

Australia

2012/3/12 3:36Profile
Cooksta

Re:

Romans 8:26 says that the Spirit intercedes for us with groanings "which cannot be uttered". It is not us making noises and groanings but the Spirit takes care of this for us - we do nothing.

I think people have decided that this verse actually means that the Spirit uses their mouth to actually make groaning noises. I am not sure that is the point Paul is making. Paul is essentially saying that the Spirit is interceding for us in a manner which cannot be comprehended. God understands the desires in us when we pray and sometimes in our helplessness and humanity, we cannot think of how or what to pray. Then the Spirit intercedes on our behalf.

This, I find, is such a wonderful reassuring truth from the Word! Praise God.

I think people need to be very careful about the gift of tongues (which actually in Scripture is languages and not the sort of unintelligible gibberish heard in many churches today). I have heard pastors tell their congregations that they cannot achieve anything unless they pray in tongues.

Tongues, clearly in the Bible, is taught as languages and the interpretation of languages. The historical occurrences and references are to proper dialects. The gift was to be used as a sign to unbelievers and to aid the presentation of the gospel to unbelieving foreigners.

There is no suggestion to a second "type" of tongues which is a special prayer language.

2012/3/12 3:47Profile
jimp

Re:

hi, i have obstained from posting here for many reasons... we are not to argue over or seek tongues... we are to seek the Holy spirit and as len ravenhill said "take everything that comes with Him". my dear friend will wrote a paper against tongues when at the baptist seminary and a few weeks later, with his mother in a comma ,he cried out to God for the power that the apostles had to raise up his mom and he began to speak in tongues and prayed for her and she was raised up.i prayed with tears over my sins that i was confessing and asked God for special help and began to speak in other tongues without ever attending a pentacostal church. it is a very abused item in the church and i understand the bias against wildfire or false fire but that does not negate the real fire of the Holy Spirit.jimp

2012/3/12 6:27Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re: EvangelTam

Quote:
EvangelTam wrote:
When I pray most of my prayer is either in groanings and tongues with things I cannot express in words. However, I also force myself to pray in english and petition things in english that are important to me, I feel very burdened in my spirit when I do this and would much rather go back to groaning and tongues. The problem is I dont know what I am praying for when I groan so a part of me feels like its important because well if do not know what I intercede for then I could be missing somethings that I do want to pray for, ex specific family

What would be a good way to approach this?

I would have responded privately if you had an email posted on your profile.

Travailing and groaning are associated with the pain of birthing (in the natural) and I believe that it is associated with birthing in the spiritual kingdom.

Do you have any computer bible program or a concordance at home? Look up every reference to groaning(s) and travail* (*ing, ings, s), then rest assured that the Holy Spirit is using someone is who is available (you), not everyone believes or even allows the Holy Spirit to groan or travail through them. I encourage you to let the Holy Spirit use you as He sees fit!

God bless,
Lisa

2012/3/12 9:48Profile

Re:

I believe Lisa and Travis answered your question well, Evangel.

This from Travis: we can ask and receive from Him understanding 'as' the Spirit prays through us.

"Although I have had God give me the interpretation of my own prayer in tongues from time to time. In that situation I became aware of what I was praying over a situation with my understanding while I was praying in tongues."

The LORD Bless!

2012/3/12 14:30

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy