SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : PREACHING or PEDDLING PILLS? by David Ravenhill

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 PREACHING or PEDDLING PILLS? by David Ravenhill

What’s with all the pill pushing, and peddling we see these days on Christian television? It seems every Tom, Dick & Harry televangelist is promoting a health product of some sort. Lately my emails are filled with ads for certain health product companies that are tied to Christian magazines. This sudden graze for man’s physical wellbeing seems to have eclipsed the wellbeing of one’s soul & spirit. Christian leaders everywhere want to sell you their ‘holy grail’ to glorious health. Most insist their supplements hold the key to genuine health and happiness whether it’s royal jelly, vitamin B12, C, or D or some other recent discovery or concoction they have found or formulated. In order to more effectively peddle their products, they solicit the help of some doctor or expert that will back up their claims. One almost feels guilty not buying from them, fearing that without these supplements you are depriving and dishonoring the very body God gave you. If only they could make you feel that way about sin! Talk about health – the Church would suddenly find herself renewed, strengthened, and free from lethargy, complacency and her lukewarm condition. But maybe that’s too much to ask from telemarketers or is that televangelists?

As far as I recall, the only time that supplements are ever mentioned in the New Testament was when Paul encouraged Timothy to take a ‘little’ wine for his stomach’s sake. Now I’m not opposed to Christians being healthy. I take my fair share of pills everyday and try to eat sensibly, and exercise as often as I can. The point I’m trying to make is WHAT IS GOING ON for HEAVEN’S SAKE? Have these leaders run out of things to talk about? Just look around you and see what’s taking place. In case you haven’t noticed, the world is falling apart spiritually, economically, politically, socially, and morally and they are selling pills! I thought we had a mandate to preach the gospel. Didn’t Jesus tell us not to worry about our bodies, but rather to fear Him that has the power to destroy both body and soul in hell? Let’s face it we spend way too much time fussing over our bodies and not enough time on our spiritual health. Perhaps if we fasted more and buffeted our bodies, we would achieve better spiritual health, not to mention the physical benefits derived from it.

The old saying ‘As goes the church so goes the world’ is especially true today. God is looking for people willing to become laborers together with Him. Men and women who will die to self – self pity, self centeredness, self interest, self promotion, self awareness, etc and take up their cross and follow Him. The greatest supplement in the world is doing the will of God. Jesus stunned his disciples by telling them that he was no longer hungry. Remember they had gone to buy food and had left Jesus behind because he was weary. Upon their return Jesus told them, ‘I have food to eat that you do not know about.’ Jesus knew that the greatest energy boost for His weariness came from doing the will of His Father.

Now if we could only bottle that and sell it, both heaven and earth would benefit. The only problem is, there’s no money to be made from it. Little wonder the televangelists aren’t talking about it. Hey, I’ll let you in on a secret. There is treasure to be made from it. Now it won’t show up on your 401K or bank record but it will show up in eternity.

So let’s stop peddling pills and start preaching and proclaiming the gospel instead.

2012/2/27 19:32Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy