SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : Can you lay down in the boat?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

Can you lay down in the boat?

Just a couple of years after coming to Jesus I was diagnosed with a disease that was supposed to kill me. It was the best thing that could have happened to me. Right there, as a young Christian, I discovered that the steps of a righteous man are ordered of God. It became one of my life Scriptures, the depths of it were emblazoned on my heart. The truth is that we leave this planet when the Lord deems it. There is no power in heaven or earth that can override our God. If He wants to take us home He will take us home, if He does not then here we stay until He calls us away. There is great rest in this.

I think of Hudson Taylor, when he was working in London and before he ever got to China, accidentally injected himself with a poison that would surely kill him, at least according to his colleagues who told him to go home and put his house in order. Yet, Hudson Taylor was able to say that God had called him to China, and therefore death was not for him. And even although death came knocking on his door, it gained no entry because the Lord had work for brother Hudson to do. And that is how it is brothers and sisters. Below are the two poems I wrote just shortly after death had come knocking at my own door. The second one describes a place I found myself in that was a wonder, in fact a place that I missed often when it was all over. There is a place of rest in the middle of the mightiest of storms, and the world looks on astonished for it is a supernatural place.

Can I walk upon this water
In the midst of this mighty sea
Surely I will stumble, surely I will drown
Oh Lord how can this be

The waves are high and the wind it howls
And the rain it lashes down
Yet you are there, I see you Lord
Now I know I shall not drown

Then the thunder roars and the lightning flashes
High above in the angry skies
Dark clouds rising, set on fire
To them do I lift my eyes

Heavier now the rain is falling
The noise so loud I cannot think
The lightening fractures the sky above
And my legs, they begin to sink

I look around , eyes wide with terror
As all this madness does unfold
I look once more, there , it’s Jesus
In the midst of the storm , standing bold

I am your peace when all hell breaks loose
Devils and demons flee
In the storm, in the night, when all breaks down
Remember , keep your eyes upon me.
—————————
I have been to a glorious land
That is far beyond what I had planned
Beyond this world and all it’s dreams
That lies in the shadow of His Holy wings

I followed Him and we took flight
And He carried me on beyond the night
Through a Vail of darkness , pain and fear
My sweet Jesus was oh so near

Majesty , glory, praise to our King
There are no words that I can sing
That would fully express what He is to me
As He carried me across a majestic sea

Mountainous waves rose up to fight
Yet in His hand I was held so tight
Farther, farther, farther along
In an ocean of praise , and on the wings of a song

He took me to the promised land
And I lay down in the palm of His Hand
At the top of the mountain, at the bottom of the sea
In the darkest dungeon, no matter, for I am free

This last piece is what brother Algerius wrote from the dungeon just before he was martyred about 500 years ago.

In a dark hole I have found pleasure; in a place of bitterness and death, rest and hope of salvation; in the abyss or depths of hell, joy; where others weep, I have laughed; where others fear, I have found strength; who will believe this? In a state of misery I have had very great delight; in a lonely corner I have had most glorious company, and in the severest bond, great rest. All these things, my fellow brethren in Jesus Christ, the gracious hand of God has given me. Behold, He that at first was far from me, is now with me, and Him whom I knew but a little, I now see clearly; to whom I once looked from afar, Him I now behold as present; He for whom I longed, now offers me His hand; He comforts me; He fills me with joy; He drives from me bitterness, and renews within me strength and sweetness; He makes me well; He sustains me; He helps me up; He strengthens me. Oh, how good is the Lord, who does not suffer His servants to be tempted above that they are able I Oh, how easy, pleasant and sweet is His yoke I Is there any like God the Most High, who sustains and refreshes those that are tempted? He heals them that are bruised and wounded, and restores them altogether. Isa. 41; 43:20. None is like Him. Learn, most beloved brethren, how sweet the Lord is, how faithful and merciful; who visits His servants in trial (Isa. 43:2); who humbles Himself and condescends to be with us in our huts and humble abodes. He gives us a cheerful mind and peacef ul heart.

2012/2/25 18:16

Re: Can you lay down in the boat?

My brother such a frgrance of Jesus upon this post and these words. Indeed I have heard it said you are immortal on earth until God has finished using you here. Such blessing in your poems.

Blaine

2012/2/26 9:58

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy