SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : And this is love....

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread

And this is love....

2 John 1:6 King James Version

— And this is love, that we walk after his commandments. This is the commandment, That, as ye have heard from the beginning, ye should walk in it.

What love are we talking about?

2 John 1:6 – jamieson-Fausset Brown
“Love is the fulfilling of the law” (Romans 13:10), and the fulfilling of the law is the sure test of love.

Connect this with Romans 13:10

Therefore love is the fulfilling of the law — For the same love which restrains from all evil, incites us to all good. -- John Wesley

Connect the dots ---- Our Savior said

John 14:1 "If you love me, keep my commandments"

John 15:10-- If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.

John 15:14 -- Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you.

1 John 2:4 -- He who says I know him, and not keep his laws, is a liar, and the truth is not in him

Brethren, the scriptural definition of love is keeping his Commandments, the spirit of Yahweh is in his Laws.

Today, let’s remember the forth commandment and keep it holy.

Praise Yahweh

2012/2/25 14:52

Re: And this is love....

John, in his epistles and gospel, never once defines commandments as the OT law. True believers die to the letter of the law through the body of Christ.

Romans 7:1 Or do you not know, brothers--for I am speaking to those who know the law--that the law is binding on a person only as long as he lives? For a married woman is bound by law to her husband while he lives, but if her husband dies she is released from the law of marriage. Accordingly, she will be called an adulteress if she lives with another man while her husband is alive. But if her husband dies, she is free from that law, and if she marries another man she is not an adulteress. Likewise, my brothers, you also have died to the law through the body of Christ, so that you may belong to another, to him who has been raised from the dead, in order that we may bear fruit for God.

-Jim

2012/2/25 16:48

And this is adultery

"Accordingly, she will be called an adulteress if she lives with another man while her husband is alive."

The unconverted religionist will always think it strange that some claim to have died to the letter of the law. They have never been born again, united with Christ, having forsaken everything for Him. So the best they can do is attempt to keep the letter of the law and try to bring others into bondage with them.

1Jn 3:23 And this is his commandment, that we believe in the name of his Son Jesus Christ and love one another, just as he has commanded us.

1Jn 3:24 Whoever keeps his commandments abides in God, and God in him. And by this we know that he abides in us, by the Spirit whom he has given us.

2012/2/25 17:01
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

The gospel is God's own righteousness. In it is revealed the righteousness of God or righteousness from God. It is not a means which we can use to become righteous in ourselves, but it gives us righteousness from God by faith and unto faith. In this way the law is fulfilled. The gospel, therefore, does not confront us with the law, but with Christ. He who believes the gospel is righteous before God for time and eternity. He has not first to win righteousness, for he is fully righteous. He does not have to prove that he is fulfilling the law, for God's righteousness needs no proofs. The law has no demands to make on such a man; he is not living within its sphere and is not occupied with its "Thou shalts" and its "Thou shalt nots", but is filled with the love of God in Christ Jesus.

-excerpted from Poul Madsen's commentary on Romans 7

2012/2/25 17:41Profile
roadsign

Re:

Quote:
Today, let’s remember the forth commandment and keep it holy.

Through God’s tumultuous dealings in my own life, I have come to understand what is required here: To obey the fourth commandment is to accept Christ’s Sabbath rest through salvation. It’s a Sabbath rest in which I live continuously. If I seek God’s vindication through my own methods of self-absolution I am guilty of breaking the Sabbath. If I carry guilt and condemnation when God has forgiven me, I am working on the Sabbath – carrying a load on the day of rest. Apart from resting in him, my use of God’s name over my life is merely in vain – and I fail to love him. My self-efforts become my idol. And I designate myself as my own god - master of my own redemption. This is a serious affront to Christ’s sacrifice; but it is also damaging to my faith and freedom in Christ. It is a violation of the great commandment of love towards myself. Living by law instead of Spirit is, really, no less than self- abuse. It harms me spiritually, emotionally, and psychologically. It also keeps me from truly loving others with Christ’s mercy. You see, it is really a violation of ALL the commandments.

Paul writes: “Live by the Spirit and you will not gratify the desires of the sinful nature”.

This truly is the way to keep from sin! Guilt is never the way to keep from sin, though the church has had a tendency to exploit guilt – to keep the masses in control and forever needing the church to absolve the guilt. Unrelenting guilt produces endless temptations to seek law of some kind – some way to take away the nagging sense of condemnation. This was formerly a sad realty in my life – till it capsized me. Now I can appreciate why it doesn’t work; but instead, living by the Spirit can keep me desiring what the Spirit desires.

Thank you (!) Ephah for drawing attention to the fourth commandment. Yes, indeed! It is still operational. But when it is interpreted as “letter”, this commandment can be the most tyrannical rule in existence. It can be a grueling, burdensome Sabbath load. Sundays can be the worst day for work and heavy guilt loads. Trust me, I’ve been there - way back in my Reformed Church days. …

No turning back to the old way!

Diane

2012/2/25 18:10Profile

Re:

"Thank you (!) Ephah for drawing attention to the fourth commandment. Yes, indeed! It is still operational. But when it is interpreted as “letter”, this commandment can be the most tyrannical rule in existence. It can be a grueling, burdensome Sabbath load. Sundays can be the worst day for work and heavy guilt loads. Trust me, I’ve been there - way back in my Reformed Church days. …

No turning back to the old way!"

Amen roadsign! Let those who keep a day keep it onto God. Those who push a day on others show they are acting under law and not under Spirit.

2012/2/25 18:13
Elibeth

My Dear bro.theEphah,

I can tell you have a hard time with this,but please take what I am
about to say,prayerfully.
The Lord commands us through the / His Spirit now,since He rose from the dead,and has now sent back the Holy Spirit,to live inside of us.He still
commands,...leads us in the WAY that He wants us to follow.....In otherwords,...the Law was wrote up ,and one's were to read it ,and to obey.

But NOW,..Our Presious Jesus,came ,and as we all know,...He lived a
complete death ,to self life,and blead a terible death,to make and to bring forth this NEW AND LIVING WAY,
to come and live in us ,and guide us by His Presious Spirit.
Are you,my brother,going to REJECT this NEW AND LIVING WAY,..
that He sacrificed so for us ?

Surely, I pray you are not !
elizabeth

2012/2/25 19:35Profile

Re:

roadsign --

Quote:
Through God’s tumultuous dealings in my own life, I have come to understand what is required here: To obey the fourth commandment is to accept Christ’s Sabbath rest through salvation.

Thank you for reading my post and sharing you thoughts. Your statement is shared by many; however, that is not what the bible teaches. Our Savior did not tell us to interprete the Commandments anyway we see fit. By doing so, you sanctify yourself. By breaking the Commandments, we insult the one who died to uphold it.

Quote:
The Lord commands us through the / His Spirit now,since He rose from the dead,and has now sent back the Holy Spirit,to live inside of us.

Thank you sister Elizabeth, I understand what you're saying. My question to you is simple,
what is "His Spirit" what is it?

John 6:63.....The Laws that I speak to you, are spirit and life everlasting.

Sister, the Spirit of the Messiah is the Law and Commandments, which he preached throughtout his life. It is these commndments (the spirit) that will lead us to everlasting life. We have rejected his commandments for the doctrine of men. How then can we claim that he lives in us while rejecting his commands? It's a falacy.

"If you love me, keep my commandments" (John 14:15) This wasn't a request.

Notes: The Greek word Logos is translated from the Hebrew word Dabar --- A Hebrew and Chaldee Lexicon to the Old Testament, by Julius Furst, page 312 shows us that the Hebrew word dabar refers to Yahweh's Plan and His Laws.

Praise Yahweh

2012/2/26 2:19

Re:

"Your statement is shared by many; however, that is not what the bible teaches."

Your ignorance of scripture is shocking. It is you who teaches contrary to Christ and will be damned by your own hypocrisy and false judgments.

"By breaking the Commandments, we insult the one who died to uphold it."

You insult Jesus Christ by pretending to keep the letter of the law and trying to bring those who are born again back down to your level of religious unreality.

""If you love me, keep my commandments" (John 14:15) This wasn't a request."

John clearly knew what Christ meant by the word commandments, as displayed in his espistles. He was clearly not talking about the letter of the OT law. Since I love Jesus I will keep his commandments and not the lies you pass off in his name.

Col 2:16-17 Therefore let no one pass judgment on you in questions of food and drink, or with regard to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath. These are a shadow of the things to come, but the substance belongs to Christ.

I would mark and avoid theEphah.

Gal 2:4-5 Yet because of false brothers secretly brought in--who slipped in to spy out our freedom that we have in Christ Jesus, so that they might bring us into slavery-- to them we did not yield in submission even for a moment, so that the truth of the gospel might be preserved for you.

In Christ Jesus

-Jim

2012/2/26 13:15

--jimdied2sin---

Quote:
I would mark and avoid theEphah.

Please don't preach hate. Slow down! This is an enlightened community. We share and learn. My post is all biblical with the appropriate verses to back it up. You can disagree but don't persecute. If we were all perfect, we wouldn't need salvation.

Shalom

2012/2/26 13:49

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy