SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : Living by the Life of Another

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
pilgrim777

Re:

AbideinHim,

That was a wonderful read. We cannot enter into Participation without His INCARNATION in us first. Then the ability to participate is made available by His presence within us and we can stop with the IMITATIONS (trying to imitate Him apart from Him) and the WWJD. And that is the key to the Christian life, His indwelling. Anything else is so much horrible work. It can actually drive you off the brink. And the sooner the better!!

Thank you very much for Huegel's article.

Pilgrim

2012/2/22 14:44Profile

Re: Living by the Life of Another

Sweet post brother, the life of Christ in me, the small still voice, the " its no longer I who live," the Lord Jesus abiding and leading and guiding. I totaly agree with the author, its not about WWJD, its about me stepping back and He stepping forward. He must increase and I must decrease. Will we allow Jesus who is in us, if indeed He is, to step forward? Do we willingly relegate ourselves? When we do this then the world gets to see an expression of Jesus. When the bushel is removed, when the lampstand is hung high, when we ascend the Holy Hill then we are a city set on a hill..............bro Frank

2012/2/22 14:49

Re:

Paul wrote to the Gakatians when he said after beginning by the Spirit are you know trying to perfect yourself by human effort. Even if we try to be noble and imitate Christ, in our flesh we are opening urselves to a miserable Romans 7 experience.

It is Christ himself, the living WORD, who is doing his work in us.. It is his Spirit, his life, that enables us to live and walk in him. May I say the object is not to imitate him but to be transformed into him. The New Testament affirms that we are being transformed into his likeness. The likeness of Jesus.

The walk of faith is not doing, but being. The Jews asked Jesus, what must we do to do the works of God? Same question we ask in our religious mindset. What can I do to be more holy, more pleasing to God. Whereas the questions sound super spiritual they can put one into a legalistic frame.

The answer Jesus woukd give is to believe in the one he has sent. Not just for salvation but for everything. For Christ is our all. It is by faith that we are in him, Jesus. And Jesus be in us. He is our righteousness, holiness, and redemption..

It us said the one phrase Paul uses in the New Testament the most frequently is in Christ. Such a marvelous phrase and everything that encompases. For surely it is by faith that we be in Christ and he be in us. This is why I believe the believers walk is a matter of being.

Blaine

2012/2/22 15:04
UntoBabes

Oregon

Re:

Abideinhim,

For some reason i find myself agreeing with the article you posted without renouncing what i said and see in the Scripture and the writings of the saints regarding the immitation of Christ.

Here is the missing link:
We are always faced with self life because self is not erraticated just as our Lord who was sinless had to make the choice to surrender his human will to his Father.
He wanted to eat but the Father wanted Him to wait, He wanted to bypass the cross but the Father wanted Him to go through it, He wanted to ever be with the Father but the Father wanted Him on earth for a time....
This surrender did not come automatically to Him nor was it easy.
When He found Himself in the form as a man He willingly submitted to the Fahter to live according to this form, and to go under the agony and groaning of the limitation of the flesh. None of us will ever understand the vexation of soul Christ faced, yet he obeyed willingly and without murmuring.
This mind which was in Christ must be in every follower of Christ also. The mind of utter surrender to the Father and utter reliance on the Holy Spirit, here is immitation.
This too is not an automatic thing but a choice of the will.
Therefore I, Paul, the Scriptures see no distinction between immitation and participation.
We become participants of the life of Christ when we choose to walk by faith in that life.
Christ renounced the use of His diety, and right as one of the God-head and waited on God, we renounce the use of self and we wait on God.
That is immitation.
Christ renounced the use of His diety and lived by faith as a Spirit filled man and we renounce the use of self
and live by faith filled with the Holy Spirit.
That is participation.

2012/2/22 15:09Profile
UntoBabes

Oregon

Re:

Obviously there is a huge confusion here between immitating Christ that means trying to live as he lived in our flesh.

But the immitation the Bible speakes of is to have the mind of Chris, to renounce the flesh and live by the Spirit just as He renounced the use of His divine rights, and the pull of His physical body and lived by the Spirit.

I see must mixing between two different things.

However, I thank you mike for this article. It is going in my files with your permission.

2012/2/22 15:18Profile

Re:

I wonder if the word 'example' could be used in place of 'imitate'. Paul writes to the Corithians follow me as I follow the example of Christ. This from the NIV.

Blaine

2012/2/22 15:23
UntoBabes

Oregon

Re:

The word imitate is translated " follow" .

May i ask what is so offensive ebout imitate and how is "example" a better word?

How about "mimic".
I think that is closer to the Greek word " mimetes" than imitate.

2012/2/22 15:27Profile

Re:

But going back to something Pilgrim posted earlier. Jesus in us is the content of the cup. We are the vessel. He is the content. The living water. He is what flows out of our inmost being.

Blaine

2012/2/22 15:29

Re: Untobabes

Sister never said 'imitate' was offensive. Ok. So 'follow' is a good substitute. Just trying to help clarify the confusion. The thing is whether we 'imitate' or 'follow' it must be done by Jesus living in us.

Actually I like 'follow' better. It conveys following the Lamb. But both are good.

Blaine

2012/2/22 15:37

Re: Untobabes

Sister never said 'imitate' was offensive. Ok. So 'follow' is a good substitute. Just trying to help clarify the confusion. The thing is whether we 'imitate' or 'follow' it must be done by Jesus living in us.

Actually I like 'follow' better. It conveys following the Lamb. But both are good.

Blaine

2012/2/22 15:38

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy