SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Revivals And Church History : 4am???

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
Will

Auckland, New Zealand

4am???

How an earth is it possible to continually wake up at 4am to pray? I am astounded by the testimonies of people like John Wesley because I too have attempted to rise at a similar hour and start my daily devotions and prayer but have miserably failed.

What time do you go to sleep at night? Do you have any helpful tips in order to help your body get into the routine?

2005/1/24 22:45Profile
jeremyhulsey

Re: 4am???

This is interesting because I've been moved to get up at a very early hour too. I recently read an article about this. The question and the answer the preacher gave went somewhat like this:

"Brother, so and so, how do you do it? How do you get up so early in the morning every day? Do you seek God for some sort of strength?"

To which he replied, "No, I just get up."

2005/1/24 23:06Profile
hredii

Fresno CA

Quote:

Will wrote:
How an earth is it possible to continually wake up at 4am to pray?

You have taken the first step to being able to this. Doing it in your own strength and failing (first step).

"With men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Matt 19:26

Ask Almighty God for the grace needed to wake up at 4 am to pray. He will.

I have not asked that but this thread has planted a seed into my heart. I just might ask.

2005/1/24 23:10Profile
Will

Auckland, New Zealand

Re:

Yes I know that it is only through Christ I can do [i]anything[/i].

"And we have such trust through Christ toward God.
Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think of anything as being from ourselves, but our sufficiency is from God, who also made us sufficient as ministers of the new covenant, not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life.” – 2 Corinthians 3:4-6

I have prayed many times that God will give me the strength, yet each time I try I feel extremely tired when I wake up, and when I get up, I feel overly tired for the rest of the day.

2005/1/24 23:23Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Hehe...sorry brother was just responding in the other thread about this.

It is very strange indeed personally. It started shortly after being snatched out of the pit. Would just wake up and want to be with the Lord. Never set out to do it nor did I even realize there was such a 'history' until much later on when it kept coming up, reading about certain past saints.

To be honest I don't know if it's something you could or couldn't do. Surely you could work your way into it by getting used to it, we can always train our bodies to respond to some extent. Yet, what if it wasn't really part of your makeup to do so? Or that the Lord would have you sleep more to be more effective as His servant? Guess I wouldn't want to persuade you one way or the other, that would have to be between you and the Lord.

Don't want to press this to far. While it is interesting that there were many that 4:00 a.m. seemed to be a call to, every hour is sacred that is dedicated to Him. 4:00 a.m. is still 2:30 p.m. somewhere else in the world.

But if it is your desire to rise bright and early will certainly pray that the Lord would rouse you, not begrudgingly, but with a 'can't wait' to get at it mindset.

I am pretty weird anyway so wouldn't be much help in giving times to go to sleep or anything, just kind of wing it, not really thinking much about it and mind you, I don't [i]always[/i] get up at 4, sometimes even earlier, other times a little later.

So it does seem 'special', not that we are in any fashion.

Read this today:

"[i]Chambers also impressed people with his use of time. During a jam-packed weekend in Dover, with four messages to preach on Sunday, he excused himself after lunch, saying he would sleep for ten minutes before the afternoon meeting. When his hostess asked if he would need to be awakened, he said, “No. I am going to ask my Heavenly Father for ten minutes’ sleep and He will rouse me on the tick of the clock.” To her amazement, it happened just as he had said.
He was a man of the mornings, rising early each day for Bible study and intercessory prayer. His personal approach to overcoming fatigue was: “Get out of bed first and think about it later[/i].”
Chambers, O.
Abandoned to God.

2005/1/24 23:33Profile
Will

Auckland, New Zealand

Re:

“Get out of bed first and think about it later.”
I like that, I think I might print it out and stick it on my wall or something!

I guess you're right though, not everyone was designed to wake up at the wee small hours of the morning.

And you're also right that every hour is a good hour to have prayer and devotions yet I can't shake from my mind the numourous references to waking early in the morning and praying. The Psalms are full of such references, and of course we know the Lord Jesus woke up many times before dawn to pray to His Father in heaven.

Thanks for your thoughts bro.

Anyone else have a testimony to share of how they managed to arise early in the morning and have made it a habit? (by early i mean 5:00am or earlier).

2005/1/25 0:01Profile

Re:

This morning I found myself praying at 3 A.M. Here is what I found that works to get up early and seek God. First of all....prayer before I go to bed which includes, "Father, please give unto me the sweet rest your scriptures promises as I lay down so that I will be well rested a couple of minutes before the alarm goes off. This way I will be able to seek your face and talk with you. Just as you did for Corrie ten Boom and she witness too...please do the same for me though I definitely don't deserve it...yet your mercy for for loving me is greater than I can understand. For Lord who will hold up the sinners such as I was if you do not get me up rested? In Jesus' Name I pray." Amen.

Then I always make sure my alarm is set at 4 A.M. and far enough away to ensure I have to get up to shut it off. The coffee pot brewed and a coffee cup warmer able to turn on at the side of the bed on the night stand so there will be coffee available hot when my voice or awareness needs it.

AND MOST IMPORTANTLY....I MAKE SURE IF THE T.V. IS ON OR DOING ANYTHING IN MY NIGHTLY SCHEDULE....THAT I AM IN BED BY 9 P.M.

Fellowships, meetings, etc....what's more important then to ensure I get up at 4 A.M. to pray and be in front of God? Susanne Wesley's time before God was 1 P.M. to 2 P.M. everyday regardless and she had 19 children to take care of. Set your time with God daily and guard against any intrusions....for the Devil will do his best to intrude with everything from temptations to godly things like your minister asking you to do whatever which will take this time away. Guard your time....God must be #1.
I have NEVER been this happy in my entire life as I have ever since God had me getting up at 4 A.M. to spend with him before my day starts at 7 A.M.

Recently, I have found my sleep time, I find myself dreaming of praying (or I am actually praying I cannot tell). But I do know I spend more time Praying and talking with God then I do watching T.V.

Just remember....God will help you in your walk no matter where you are. Maybe you are not meant to pray at 4 A.M. Maybe you are the one to stand up before God on your drive to work and back home (with your eyes open of course). Or maybe you are the one to stand before him at your lunch time or 7 P.M. If you watch T.V. from 8-11 P.M. Try praying at 8 P.M. till 9 P.M. You could even video tape the shows you will miss and if you feel you need to watch them you can later. There is always room before the throne of God for anyone who will take the time (whether it be 5 minutes or 8 hours) to stand before God to pray.
PJ

2005/1/25 5:05
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

My girlfriend has to wake up at 4 am every morning (save on weekends) in order to get ready for work and help get her parents to work (they are a 1 car family). She is also regularly up until 9 and 10 pm. She works about 32-40 hrs a week, is a full time college student, and is our church's praise & worship leader, as well as a sunday school teacher. I've never asked her how she does it, but I guess she just manages to drive herself and keep herself moving.

Prayer perhaps can be a little more difficult as one will be in a rather still position for a while, and possibly one will fall asleep again. I suppose it just takes a great deal of self-discipline to keep one in a somewhat uncomfortable position for a while so as not to fall asleep, and to keep one's mind really intently focused.

If you have a coffee timer, it might be good to have a fresh cup of brew to help wake you up, there is nothing like Foldgers in your cup :)

2005/1/25 7:29Profile

Mikey

Brother,
I WANT to begin such a ministry, hold me accountable to it. (lol)

Neil

2005/1/25 12:51
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re: Mikey

Waking up at 4am... Yes Wesley did this but remember the other side of the story... He went to bed at 9pm.. Thats 7 hours... thats not deprevation. Thats average sleep time. Im not trying to take away from it at all but its a matter of adjusting your sleeping habits to 9-7 from what ever it is. I remember a story i heard Ravenhill tell that Wesley was eating with the King and at about 8 or 9 he told the king "I must now go." The king asked why and John told him he had an appointment. He had an appointment with God. Looking at the whole situation it was just body control to go to bed at 9 and wake up at 4. Leonard Ravenhill had different sleeping habits. He went to bed at 8:30-9 and woke up at Midnight and prayed for a couple hours. I never heard him say but im assuming he went back to bed after that. Personally I like the Ravenhill presciption. I dont do either. Im a college guy :-) I would rather stay up till 11 and start praying and reading till 12:30 or later and then go to bed and sleep untill the absolute last moment before i run out of time to take a shower and run to class. Maybe some day ill learn!

2005/1/25 16:38Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy