SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : So EXACTLY What Does It Take

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
jimp

Re:

this act of salvation, turning ones rule of their life over to Jesus and reckoning himself dead is just the beginning. this act of faith based on the finished work of Jesus at calvary gives us eternal life. we are birthed by the Holy sSpirit into the family of God and we are in Christ Jesus. thats a very good beginning for success.jimp

2012/2/9 0:47Profile
Sidewalk

San Diego

Re: What does it take?

Back a zillion years ago in a Sunday school class, my friend Candy Hanes had been listening quietly for several weeks, not asking much until one day she reached for that bottom line. While hell isn't very real in the mind of a teenager, the thought of being there for eternity does give pause. She asked,

"So...What's the least you can do and still go to heaven?"

I still remember Pastor Smith leaning back and roaring with laughter. He recognized that she had cut to the chase and it was the same question many have pondered over the years. In a way, it has been asked here, am I right?

The answers are all correct in some sense. "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved." "Ye must be born again." "Come unto Me all you who labor and are heavy laden..." There are more of course.

But I would suggest that to get to an answer that carries the security we're looking for another question must be posed.

Remember the rich young ruler who asked the question in his day of the Lord Himself. (Lk 18) "Good Teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?" Jesus has a little conversation where the man answers that he has fulfilled all the basics. But then Jesus asks him for something He knew the man would not give up. He said "Give away all your possessions and follow Me." And as the man went away sorrowfully, Jesus certainly ached for him. The man was willing to give a part, maybe a large part, but he wanted to keep some back for himself. Jesus knew this wouldn't work.

The question that needs to be asked must be preceded by a confession of sins and the asking of forgiveness. It is a heart and mouth affair, with the heart a person believes and with the mouth confession is made. Once that is done here's the question:

"Lord Jesus, what is the most I can do for your Kingdom?"

When your heart and mouth are asking that, you are there. Because everything you have now belongs to Christ and you are willing to endure hell if that pleases Him.

People fear laying their lives down before Jesus because they think He is going to take away something they like. But He is looking for sons, to whom He can give everything He has!

Learn from the rich young ruler who had only the spirit of Esau. "What's in it for me??"

2012/2/9 0:54Profile
gators52

Central Florida

Re:

The more I see the contention and the piety of some of the posters here on this forum the more I realize that people just want to be right. It is ridiculous. Jesus said repent and believe. The work is His and we are to follow.

Brother Sree, If I may, can I ask your age? I believe our friend jimp's testimony that he gave several days ago really struck a cord with me because his humility shone through his wanderings. Brother maybe you could gleam some wisdom from our older brother.

2012/2/9 8:26Profile
gators52

Central Florida

Re:

The more I see the contention and the piety of some of the posters here on this forum the more I realize that people just want to be right. It is ridiculous. Jesus said repent and believe. The work is His and we are to follow.

Brother Sree, If I may, can I ask your age? I believe our friend jimp's testimony that he gave several days ago really struck a cord with me because his humility shone through his wanderings. Brother maybe you could gleam some wisdom from our older brother.

gators52

Central Florida

Re:

gators52

Central Florida

Re:

gators52

Central Florida

Re:

Sree

Re:

Quote:

I am in late 20s. I have not read his testimony but I have read him mention few times about his 40+ years of service. I have all respect for him. I did not have any intention to be harsh at him or disrespect him. Neither I liked him taking my post as my personal interpretation of scripture and accusing me directly, which might not go well with every posters here.

But I cannot agree on his doctrine, simple as it is. I want my doctrine to be purely based on complete scripture. I had a valid argument for his post on 'a mother who keeps waiting for her murder accused son'. But I did not post it because I believe it is not going to benefit anyone, neither is he going to leave his 40+ years of belief nor am I going to fall for a doctrine that does not cover all the scripture. With all respect for him I backed out of the argument. This is one thing I came to know from SI that one can spend all his energy in arguing but no one is going to change.

Regarding the scripture on Jesus in John 3, it is better for us not to add something to what Jesus has already said or make a new meaning that he did not desire to make. It might appear logical to us now, but it is not good at all.

For example Eve added something to what God has said -
‘You shall not eat from it OR TOUCH IT, or you will die.' in Genesis 3-3. God did not say if you touch it you will die. So that was starting of her deception.

2012/2/9 10:44Profile
lylewise

Celina, Texas

Re:

I do believe one will have their hands full testifying to the rebirth. As Lisa said according to our Savior's words, "ONE MUST BE BORN AGAIN". Within this, the Gospel is shared. There is no recipe for salvation apart from this or men would commandeer it and attempt to rob God of the birthing, thus resulting in untold numbers of false converts...........Oh wait.

As for the recipe after salvation, is it any different? To whom will one turn, or where will one go, after having been given eyes to see? A born againer has been ruined to this world. It is a process of sanctification from there and to abreviate scripture for the cliff notes can ill be afforded.

Sanctification: I draw from the natural relationship of a father raising his child but a quadrillion times exponentially greater when considering our true Father's work.

2012/2/9 10:54Profile

Re: So EXACTLY What Does It Take

"What do you believe are the actual requirements for a person to be a child of God, have eternal life, and spend eternity with The Father, Son, and Holy Spirit? What are the actual requirements that make that true for a person... nothing more, nothing less, and nothing else."

I like the simply gospel.

The requirements: The Beginning

Romans 10:9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

The Necessities: The Promise

Acts 2:33 Therefore being by the right hand of God exalted, and having received of the Father the PROMISE of the Holy Ghost, he hath shed forth this, which ye now SEE and HEAR.

Acts 2:39 For the PROMISE is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.

Daily Living: Obedience

Galatians 5:16 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.

If I were to envy any man that ever lived, it would be the thief on the cross. That man just believed. He wasn't bombarded with all the doctrines of the Church, he just asked Jesus if He would remember him, and Christ offered Him eternal life. I wish I never knew anything about OSAS, the doctrine of the Trinity, the TULIP and all the other, (forgive me) trash.

2012/2/9 11:11

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy