SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Some Quotations On The Biblical View Of Headcovering

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )
PosterThread
myfirstLove

Re:

I agree, it would be great to have a discussion about this issue. But with certain attitudes, it makes it very difficult to have a mature discussion on certain topics. People who want to enter in, let us do it for the glory of God, because we want to know Him and make His way known in every way, with great love and mercy. If there are people who do not want to enter in, they have a choice not to, and no need to leave any comment that does not edify the brethren and help encourage them to keep seeking.

S.I. was the one that God used to help my heart to desire and seek to understand about head coverings. I read a lot of head covering discussions in the past and it helped me a great deal. So remember, though some may not see it important, there are others who do not join the forum, but are reading and want to learn. There's nothing wrong with talking about topics that's been talked about before, because people are in different walks.

Thanks Greg for those past head covering articles that you've posted. God used it to help me!

2012/2/8 16:28Profile

Re:

"This same principle works for any outward church tradition. Consider the practice of ecclesial robes. That too has been condemned as being legalist/popish. It may be so."

We are not exhorted to wear Popish robes in the scripture. However, women are exhorted to wear coverings. It's not the same issue.

2012/2/8 16:30

Re:

"Head covering means nothing in our culture. However, it means Roman Catholic Church to many of us."

I can't see how culture is relevant. Can point to a scripture in Pauls writings on Head Coverings that says it's a cultural issue? I can't find one. One the contrary, I can find reasons that relate to Christ submission to God, for the Angles, for Mans glory, and practice in all the churches.

If this whole thing is cultural, then to be fair to the text, I must assume that Christ submission to God is cultural, that Angles are cultural, and that Mans glory is cultural. Do you agree that these things are cultural? Because that's what Paul bases his reasoning on.

By the way, if we can just start dictating that certain passages of scripture are cultural, even with no biblical proof, why stop at head coverings? Why not say women can teach men? Why not say everyone can pray in tongues at the same time? Why not say we can appoint novices as elders? Can we regulate these things to culture as well? What makes it acceptable to regulate one teaching to culture and another teaching not to culture, when the scriptures give no reasons that any of the above are cultural at all?

If you're gonna regulate certain scriptures as cultural that scripture doesn't say is cultural, then let give everyone the freedom to say whatever scripture they chose is cultural as well. Let's be consistent.

2012/2/8 16:33
pilgrim777

Re:

Large Chinese groups of Christians do not wear headcoverings. Why? It is not part of their culture.

Who does? Chinese groups connected to the Brethren and Quaker movement.

Large groups of Africans and Indonesians and Filipinos along with many other races do not wear headcoverings because it was never an issue or customary part of their culture.

This is really quite silly. I thought we had agreed to disagree and pray for one another. But then comes more threads. For what purpose when you know that there is at least 50-50 consensus on SI?

Lord help us all.

Pilgrim

2012/2/8 16:36Profile

Re:

"In essence the issue may simply be one of submission not necessarily the symbol of it. If head coverings are seen to represent that submission in an area then it means something to those people. However, if head coverings are seen as nothing more that a form of hat then the symbolism is lost on that group. Perhaps another symbol might play that role in their culture and could be used instead."

WOW! Talk about bringing peace to a subject. I am speechless, I agree. Praise God for this truth.

2012/2/8 16:41

Re:

"Large Chinese groups of Christians do not wear headcoverings. Why? It is not part of their culture.

Who does? Chinese groups connected to the Brethren and Quaker movement.

Large groups of Africans and Indonesians and Filipinos along with many other races do not wear headcoverings because it was never an issue or customary part of their culture."

Who cares? What does the scriptures say?

If I go by culture, what happens if a culture, say some african tribe is run by women, decides it ok for all the elders to be women? What if a tribe practices men having multiple wives? Can they say it's ok because of culture even though the bible says different?

For those who don't believe in Head Coverings because they see it cultural, they should at least be honest and just say: "I believe it's cultural, even though nothing in the word of God says it is. I just chose to believe it because I want to, not because God's word says it's that way."

If that's an incorrect statement, then someone please correct me and show me from the scriptures where this practice is cultural. thanks.

2012/2/8 16:42

Re:

"However, if head coverings are seen as nothing more that a form of hat then the symbolism is lost on that group. Perhaps another symbol might play that role in their culture and could be used instead."

Actually, head coverings will be seen as just a form of hat until someone reads the word of God. But it's like that with a lot of truth. We don't see things right until we read God's word. But once we do, we can understand the meaning of things. Culture is not our guide, God and His word are.

2012/2/8 16:45
MaryJane

Re:

Solomon,

I posted my experience with this topic of head coverings on the other thread. Not sure what more there is to be said for me personally but wanted to say that I thought your post was really great Solomon. I do think this goes way beyond a cloth covering that a person wears. It is about submission and I think there are many ways a wife can demonstrate that to her husband within their own family.

Its interesting some of the traditions and teachings that God uses in the lives of differing believers. What an awesome GOD we all serve that HE so carefully leads each of us in HIS good and perfect timing to know HIS will and plan for us.

God Bless
mary

2012/2/8 16:50Profile
hoohoou

Texas

Re:

"So remember, though some may not see it important, there are others who do not join the forum, but are reading and want to learn."

Now that's a big statement. We get so preoccupied with "our" view that we forget how many people are reading who do not comment. These may be lost, searching, wanting to come back, or just trying to learn.

We've got to be careful how we discuss these things.

Personally, I don't believe head coverings to be a big deal. I think intent is more important than physical practice.

I didn't really like the tone set in the other threads and know how I can get as well so I stayed out of it.

If the heart isn't right it doesn't matter what we do to the outside of this bag of bones. Conversely, I believe a right heart is going to look like just about anything.

2012/2/8 16:53Profile
pilgrim777

Re:

Quote:
"In essence the issue may simply be one of submission not necessarily the symbol of it. If head coverings are seen to represent that submission in an area then it means something to those people. However, if head coverings are seen as nothing more that a form of hat then the symbolism is lost on that group. Perhaps another symbol might play that role in their culture and could be used instead."

Quote:
WOW! Talk about bringing peace to a subject. I am speechless, I agree. Praise God for this truth.

Can we just please be at peace with one another? Please?

Pilgrim

2012/2/8 16:54Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy