SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Why Churches Should Resurrect Sunday Evening Services

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Why Churches Should Resurrect Sunday Evening Services

Kevin DeYoung, senior pastor at University Reformed Church, recently revealed a few reasons why congregants should consider "keeping ... going to ... or even starting" an evening service at the church on The Gospel Coalition website.

"Having an evening service keeps the Lord's day the Lord's Day," the Michigan preacher noted. "Without the evening service, I find it too easy to treat Sunday worship like an hour to get done at the beginning of the day."
"The temptation to squeeze worship into the margins of life is even more pronounced when we finish our worship 'requirement' by 8 pm on Saturday evening," he added. ...

read more: http://www.christianpost.com/news/why-churches-should-resurrect-sunday-evening-services-68303/

2012/2/1 0:51Profile
jimp

Re: Why Churches Should Resurrect Sunday Evening Services

hi, the church i have been claiming as my church; i am not able to get around or go anymore but it is on the net,has a meal and instructions for baptism on sunday night for the 30 to 50 that get saved in the sat. and sunday morning services.then they have a baptismal service.some times ther are 70 or more.it works out very well and gives the new convert solid instrution and reinforcement on their desicion to follow Jesus and a celebration of this great time in their lives.jimp

2012/2/1 1:12Profile

Re:

Jimp, does your church offer sermons online by any chance? Or are they just live streamed?

2012/2/1 1:15
jimp

Re:

hi, do to the recent retirement of the pastor (semi) i am not as sure of his son who has taken over but they are on line at bethany.com jimp

2012/2/1 2:03Profile

Re:

Thanks Jimp. I know you've mentioned that they send out lots of missionaries, so I'm curious if they might have any in my area. It would be cool if there were some by chance.

2012/2/1 4:52

Re:

While I am not a legalist about the "sabbath", there is a very good principle concerning a day of rest (instituted by God!) that promotes not only physical but spiritual health. Whether you are able to have that day of rest on Sunday, Saturday, Tuesday does not matter according to the Aposlte Paul. But we should set aside a day for rest and honor for the Lord.

Personally... I find the "rest" part of it very hard to keep when there are activities at the church morning, noon and night on Sunday. Some may not, but I do. I used to go to a church where it was Sunday School, church service, pot luck dinner and then come back a few hours later for more preaching and come Monday morning I was exhausted.

And some people treat the Sunday evening service as if it is mandated in scripture... which it is not. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, I read something once that suggested that the Sunday evening service came about when churches were usually one of the first buildings in town to have the electric light bulb... and they used it as an evangelical outreach... a "gimmick" to reach the lost.

Keep in mind... I AM NOT AGAINST AN EVENING SERVICE! We should gather with the saints often and regularly, and for some the evening service works perfectly.

We just need to be careful not to judge each other based upon whether or not one attends an evening service.

Krispy

2012/2/1 7:24
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

I don't think another service is going to cure Christianity of any of its ills.

Personally, I'm glad to see the traditional Sunday evening service vanishing. My church hasn't had it in years. Instead, they have a quarterly time of special worship on Sunday evenings, in which our church (3000+ members) has a rather open format.

Apart from that, many of the saints continue to gather throghout the community. On most Sunday nights, you can find me at the local Taco Bell with 8 guys in high school, eating burrito's and studying the word of God together. This Sunday we are looking at the Martyrdom of Polycarp.

I love the life of my church being this way. I find it rather refreshing. At my last church, we had Sunday night services. And because I often drove the church van, I personally found Sundays to be absolutley exhausting. Especially when you toss in a potluck, or go out to dinner after the evening service.

2012/2/1 12:25Profile

Re:

Quote:
I don't think another service is going to cure Christianity of any of its ills.

Amen to that... if we have learned anything in the last 15 years it's that works or gimmicks or activities does not cure the spiritual condition of anyone. Instead what we need is more of JESUS. The sheep in the church need more of Jesus, and the goats need Jesus period.

Krispy

2012/2/1 12:58
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

QUOTE:
" there is a very good principle concerning a day of rest (instituted by God!) that promotes not only physical but spiritual health."

There is a statement made by Jesus that is ignored when 'Sabbath keeping' is discussed. Here it is: "And he said unto them, The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath:" Mark 2:27.

If God made a day for us to rest physically from our labors we do well to use it for this purpose. He did it for our own good.

God really does love us does he not for giving us a day to not work! A day in which we will not be convicted of laziness for not working?! WOW!

2012/2/2 19:25Profile

Re:

The Sabbath was made for man yes, in that we rest in Him.

Matthew 11:28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you Sabbath.

It is beneficial for all of us to get plenty of rest but it's not a law for us to keep the Sabbath in any way shape or form, it was given to man in the OT to be observed and obeyed and in the New Testament, God gave His Son in whom by trusting in Him we do enter into Sabbath. No longer observing it in our flesh but by faith we have entered into His Sabbath and by that alone is sufficient as far as our part is concerned.

Hebrews 4:3 For WE WHICH HAVE believed do enter into rest,

We have, past tense have entered into His Sabbath.

Though all these things have been done in the Spirit, I do not negate the fact that rest is necessary for the flesh, but it's not a law that one should keep, however, rest will benefit all of creation when we do observe them for the sake of that which requires rest.

For example, It is said that by tilling the soil for six years on the seventh let the soil rest. And there is great benefit when a field is left from being tilled. In this world today, the soil is worked until it's lost it's ph balance. So they put more ph into it trying to work it some more and their crops are not producing properly. The ground needs rest. The same goes for human beings when we push and work and we don't sit down and take time for reflexion we put the body under such stress that we have anxiety attacks and we wonder why we have pressure in and around our heart. We sleep for six hours per night and wonder why ten cups of coffee isn't working anymore. The ph we are adding is not working, we need the rest.

This type of rest and Christ rest is not the same thing. One is wrought by faith, the other is just common sense. We know that if we overwork something it's going to break down. But the rest that is in Christ, there is no labour in trying to obtain favour with God, we have that by faith in Christs' work. Since Christ obtained our righteousness by His work, our rest is obtained by faith and has nothing to do with whether I keep Saturday or Sunday or any day of the week. Or whether I let my fields rest or not, that does not change our sabbath in Christ.

However, letting our fields rest is still a good idea. Getting eight or more hours of sleep per night is also a good idea. This type of rest has nothing to do with our standing in Christ Jesus.

2012/2/2 23:03

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy