SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Contending for the Faith; False Doctrines murder the Lambs.

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
PosterThread

Contending for the Faith; False Doctrines murder the Lambs.

"I am not permitted to let my love be so merciful as to tolerate and endure false doctrine. When faith and doctrine are concerned and endangered, neither love nor patience are in order when these are concerned, neither toleration nor mercy are in order, but only anger, dispute, and destruction - to be sure, only with the Word of God as our weapon."....Martin Luther

And Jesus, and all of the Apostles preceded with the exact same sentiment....Acts 20-30.

Do we confront the lie?...or do we tolerate it and let it spread?

2012/1/26 11:10
Miccah

Wisconsin

Re: Contending for the Faith; False Doctrines murder the Lambs.

If you do not confront it, you are guilty by association.

It is impossible to do this with everything that you come accross, but when the Spirit prompts you to speak, you need to speak.

2012/1/26 11:16Profile

Re:

And exactly what false doctrine are we talking about here? Are we turning ourselves into the doctrinal police or something?

Blaine Scogin

2012/1/26 11:59

Re:

It's good to have you posting again BrotherTom.

2012/1/26 12:01
roadsign

Re:

Quote:
When faith and doctrine are concerned and endangered, neither love nor patience are in order when these are concerned, neither toleration nor mercy are in order, but only anger, dispute, and destruction - to be sure, only with the Word of God as our weapon."....Martin Luther

I appreciate you posting this quote from Luther. It may help explain what happened to Luther. Through all the resistance he encountered, he himself became bitter and hostile. You can see that in some of his writings. When the Jews did not listen to him he permitted them to be persecuted and murdered. He refused to compromise with Zwingli regarding the Eucharist, and insisted on consubstantiation as the only right way (that is, the physical presence of Christ in the Eucharist). That divided the entire reformation movement. Zwingli himself, in his zeal to expunge a dangerous heresy had some believers drowned. What was the dangerous heresy: believer’s baptism. And the reformation went downhill from there – all in the name of confronting false doctrine.

Quote:
Do we confront the lie?...or do we tolerate it and let it spread?

This is a frightening philosophy to hold! The mission to “confront” has no breaks when it is driven by fear and a sense of righteousness – and when mercy and love are no longer restraints. And the wheat gets damaged even as the tares are being plucked out.

God is quite able to manage evil. That is his job. We have our own job.

Having said that, I admit, even last Sunday I shared a theological concern with a minister whose trust I had gained through the last ten years. Had I been "confrontational" I would have lost more ground then I may have gained.

Diane

2012/1/26 12:15Profile

Re:

"And exactly what false doctrine are we talking about here? Are we turning ourselves into the doctrinal police or something?"

Blaine Scogin

Yes,in a way; It's basic Christian Shepherding followed by ALL the Apostles.

"Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints.

For there are certain men crept in unawares, who were before of old ordained to this condemnation, ungodly men, turning the grace of our God into lasciviousness, and denying the only Lord God, and our Lord Jesus Christ."

This is what Luther was responding to in spirit. However this may apply to the individual.

I like how Miccah put it;
"If you do not confront it, you are guilty by association.

It is impossible to do this with everything that you come across, but when the Spirit prompts you to speak, you need to speak."

2012/1/26 12:17

Re:

Quote:
This is a frightening philosophy to hold!

Tell that to Jesus, Paul, Jeremiah, and numerous others from the past. They seemed more concerned that a lie would spread, than just letting a lie sort itself out. Is it possible that they should have not confronted the lies, and just kept their mouths shut and let God sort things out? If you saw a small child trying to put a fork in an electrical socket because someone told them that if they get it in in just the right way that they socket will spit out candy, would you try to tell them that it's not true? Or would you just let the electricity sort them out?

We have a really messed up version of love these days, that doesn't involve confronting and standing against lies. This version of love can't seem to be found in the Scriptures though.

Reading the edit you've done on your post, I want to also say that I agree we shouldn't seek to be confrontational, however many times the truth confronts. If Jesus had just kept His mouth shut about all the lies of the pharisees, and just said, "well I disagree, but God can sort you out" they probably would have never killed Him.

Just saying.

2012/1/26 12:19

Re:

Great post Diane. I love the way the Apostle Paul dealt with early gnosticism. There was no lenghty dissertaion on the evils of gnosticism, there was an expounding of the truth. Every single Christian who holds fast to the truth of the word and the leading of the Spirit will have trouble enough. They wont have to go looking for trouble, it will come knocking on their door. Consider what Diane shared about believers baptism, those believers were trying to live out their lives in truth and simplicity and evil hunted them down. The best way to confront evil? Follow fast after Jesus and live in the light of what the Spirit has revealed to you through His word........bro Frank

2012/1/26 12:34
roadsign

Re:

An observation re the following verses:
----
"Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints.

For there are certain men crept in unawares, who were before of old ordained to this condemnation, ungodly men, turning the grace of our God into lasciviousness, and denying the only Lord God, and our Lord Jesus Christ."
----
Here I read: CONTEND FOR THE FAITH. I understand that to mean: contend for the faith - that is – defend and teach the good faith of the gospel and Jesus Christ. I do not see here that my mission is to CONTEND AGAINST the false teachers. But, that is what happens through good teaching does it not? EFFECTIVE teaching prepares God’s people to discern – to know the truth and reject the false.

Diane

2012/1/26 12:54Profile
roadsign

Re:

Appolus, I see we were thinking the same thoughts at the same time.

Jesus said, "Feed my sheep"

Diane

2012/1/26 12:55Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy