SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : The Anointing

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
PreachParsly

Arkansas

The Anointing

The anointing.... hmmm you hear alot about the anointing today in TV Land preaching (although alot of TV Land is nothing but entertainment and junk)...and in other circles you don't hear a thing about it. I guess the question I would like to propose is "What is the annointing?" How do you get it? is is "tangible"? As in being able to transfer it from one to another? I would just like to know what everyone thinks/knows with scripture if possible. Thanks guys and I'm looking forward to hearing from you. - Josh

2005/1/20 16:54Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re: The Anointing

Here's a little something to get the discussion started from Smith's Bible Dictionary

[b]Anointing[/b]
Anointing. Anointing in Holy Scripture, is either, I. Material -- with oil -- or II. Spiritual -- with the Holy Ghost.

I. Material.
1. Ordinary. Anointing the body or head with oil was a common practice with the Jews, as with other Oriental nations. Deu_28:40; Rth_3:3; Mic_6:15. Anointing the head with oil or ointment seems also to have been a mark of respect sometimes paid by a host to his guests. Luk_7:46 and Psa_23:5.
2. Official. It was a rite of inauguration into each of the three typical offices of the Jewish commonwealth.
a. Prophets were occasionally anointed to their office, 1Ki_19:16, and were called messiahs, or anointed. 1Ch_16:22; Psa_105:15.
b. Priests, at the first institution of the Levitical priesthood, were all anointed to their offices, Exo_40:15; Num_3:3, but afterwards anointing seems to have been specially reserved for the high priest, Exo_29:29; Lev_16:32, so that "the priest that is anointed," Lev_4:3, is generally thought to mean the high priest.
c. Kings. Anointing was the principal and divinely-appointed ceremony in the inauguration of the Jewish Kings. 1Sa_9:16; 1Sa_10:1; 1Ki_1:34; 1Ki_1:39. The rite was sometimes performed more than once. David was thrice anointed.
d. Inanimate objects also were anointed with oil, in token of their being set apart for religious service. Thus Jacob anointed a pillar at Bethel. (Gen_31:13; Exo_30:26-28.
3. Ecclesiastical. Anointing with oil is prescribed by St. James to be used for the recovery of the sick. Jam_5:14. Analogous to this is the anointing with oil practiced by the twelve. Mar_6:13.

II. Spiritual.
In the Old Testament, a Deliverer is promised under the title of Messiah, or Anointed, Psa_2:2; Dan_9:25-26, and the nature of his anointing is described to be spiritual, with the Holy Ghost. Isa_61:1. See Luk_4:18.
In the New Testament, Jesus of Nazareth is shown to be the Messiah, or Christ, or Anointed, of the Old Testament, Joh_1:41; Act_9:22; Act_17:2-3; Act_18:4; Act_18:28, and the historical fact of his being anointed with the Holy Ghost is asserted and recorded. Joh_1:32-33; Act_4:27; Act_10:38. Christ was anointed as prophet priest and king.
Spiritual anointing with the Holy Ghost is conferred also upon Christians by God. 2Co_1:21. "Anointing" expresses the sanctifying influences of the Holy Spirit upon Christians who are priests and kings unto God.

In Christ,

Ron

2005/1/20 17:11Profile

This is an interesting subject for sure. What the definitions lacked was the purpose of anointing. Except for James and the verses concerning prayer for the sick, most of the others involved sanctification, setting aside someone or something for holy use or purpose. Therefore, prophets, priests, kings, and of course the Lord Jesus Christ were all anointed or sanctified for what God had ordained them to be. Sometimes this ceremonial, sometimes in direct response to the instruction of God.
I cannot recall Paul being anointed by anyone, although he was prayed for. His office was ordained by God. But God sent a man to offer prayer and his 3 day blindness ended.

2005/1/20 18:10
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

yeah the deffinition is deffinately helpful. I was leaning more to the sign of the spiritual part. Most have heard someone say "That man is anointed by God" or "Wow was that service was anointed" Those both would probably come from a carismatic or pentecostal background but thats the type or route I am thinking. For example, "what does it mean to be anointed by God" or How would one be anointed by God? I think it comes primarily by seperation and sanctification. Are there measures of anointing? Can one be more anointed than another? If so what would that mean. :-)

2005/1/20 18:21Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

The phrase 'The Anointing' has come to mean a special sense of enabling observable by the preacher/singer or by those who watch. There is no biblical basis for this use of the phrase.

The original sene of an anointing was the authorisation of a person to a specific role. It was a public acknowledgement rather than a consciousness of power.

The Old Testament saints lived in the consciousness that God could and sometimes did 'take His Spirit from them' as in King Saul. Such an act effectively discharged them from their ministry. David feared the possibility in Ps 51.

The New Testament picture is of an abiding indwelling rather than an external transience. [b]But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him. (1Jo 2:27 KJV)[/b]

Campbell Morgan used to define different aspects of the Spirit's work as revealed in the New Testament with the phrase

One Baptism
Abiding Anointing
Many fillings

I think he is biblically accurate.

2005/1/20 18:29Profile

Re: Philigos

Great info. I do appreciate that verse. From that verse it is obvious that in the new testament, anointing and Holy Spirit presence are one and the same. There for, one person could appear to be "more anointed" than another.
Somewhere in my worn out old mind I keep hearing a defintion that someone told me once. They said that the "anointing" is the power of God to do what He has called us or given us to do. If that is so, then when a person sings or preaches or ministers healing or whatever, if they are doing it under the obedience to the Holy Spirit within, the anointing, then their actions should easily be discerned as being full of the power of God. Does this make sense?

2005/1/21 8:10
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
Does this make sense?

Perfectly! :-D

2005/1/21 8:57Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy