SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Open Your Eyes... The Fields Are White!

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread

Open Your Eyes... The Fields Are White!

Spent last week in Honolulu Hawaii... wow did I have my eyes opened to the spiritual need outside of my little corner of the world. Unbelievable. Homeless people everywhere in Waikiki (the tourist trap of the world), prostitutes, drug dealers and tourists from every corner of the world.

...and never saw anyone handing out tracts or preaching. I know some do, but while I was there I saw nothing other than what I was doing (handing out tracts and striking up one on one conversations).

We need to wake up, folks. Stop spending all your time on the computer (I know, we dont all spend all day on here... but some do spend waaaaaay too much time on the computer. Admit it.).

Get out there and obey God's Word... preach and teach and make disciples!

Krispy

2012/1/24 7:06
OnwardUpward

Re: Open Your Eyes... The Fields Are White!

Yeah... there's so much to do before we leave...

2012/1/24 7:16Profile

We knew a great brother in the Lord who street preached in Hawaii for several years. He also had a mentor who street preached. They teamed up together and usually met under a huge banyan tree, if memory serves me right. I'd ask him, but he lost his life in a freak one car accident in 1/2010. He had some amazing testimonies from that period of his life, I wish I could've learned more, but he rarely spoke of himself, just the Lord. I actually learned more about him and his past at his funeral than I did the 2 years I knew him. He was a great example of humbleness and humility, sure miss him alot. My 5 year old was just asking about him yesterday too.

Anyways, sorry to get sidetracked. Praying the Lord sends others to continue the labor for souls there.

2012/1/24 9:03

Re:

I did not go there to evangelize, and I enjoyed my stay (who wouldn’t??) but boy did I leave with my eyes wide open. One evening I walked a street just one block away from the Waikiki strip… among the prostitutes and drug dealers, the night clubs and strip joints. That’s not something I am used to seeing in my little rural small town. Actually struck up a conversation with a cross dressing male hooker… which is COMPLETELY out of my realm of reality. Was approached by several homeless people who were obviously outside their heads. And all of this was going on ONE BLOCK from where all the high end stores, restaurants and tourists were. This street ran parallel to the main strip along Waikiki.

This reminded me of the church. The strip along the beach is the church, with all the tourist representing the majority of Christians. Walking thru life looking in the windows of all the shiney stores and feasting at the best restaurants… filling their bellies and spending their time and money on the beautiful things of this world, and enjoying the entertainment that the church offers up now as “ministry”. Going along completely oblivious to the fact that just a mere few yards away the filth of the world is dragging people down to hell. Desperate and hurting people are looking for a way out… but the church goes along and completely ignores them… and even looks down at them in disgust. The homeless of Honolulu remind me of the occasional sinner who wanders into the church. Just like the tourists, Christians give them wide birth because we don’t want to touch them, or smell them… or look in their eyes.

I'd say that what started out as an opportunity for a change of scenary and relaxation for me... actually changed me profoundly.

Krispy

2012/1/24 9:20
Sree

Quote:

We need to wake up, folks. Stop spending all your time on the computer (I know, we dont all spend all day on here... but some do spend waaaaaay too much time on the computer. Admit it.).

Get out there and obey God's Word... preach and teach and make disciples!

Brother one needs a calling from God to teach and preach and make disciples. If you think God has put a burden in your heart for Hawaii then do it without advertising ( not that I think you are doing but just a word of caution), your reward will be mightier in heaven.

2012/1/24 10:39Profile

Re:

Advertising?? No, I'm encouraging people to get out there and get to work. This is not about me. I didnt do much, and honestly I am VERY much ashamed of that. I was there for recreation, and the truth is... I did way more of that than I did evangelizing. The analogy of the tourist district being like the church... THATS ME. Nothing to brag about in that!

As far as having a calling to preach and teach and make disciples... you do have a calling. Every Christian has a calling to do that. That was a command from Jesus Himself to all believers.

No one will be able to stand before God and say "I didnt go out and share the gospel with people because that wasnt my calling."

His response will be "No, I did not call you to do that... I COMMANDED you to do that!"

So once again... :-) ... I disagree with you.

If you're not interested in hearing my testimony of my experience last week, and my report on what I saw, then dont read my post. It's that simple.

I should have done more, but I was so taken aback by everything I saw I was kinda shell shocked. There is no bragging going on here, as you suggest. If I ever end up there again I will be much better prepared... and I will go with the intention of evangliziing.

I almost said I am sorry if my words have made you feel guilty because it seems they have... but the reality is I am not sorry about that at all.

Krispy

2012/1/24 11:03
MaryJane

Krispy you wrote:We need to wake up, folks. Stop spending all your time on the computer (I know, we dont all spend all day on here... but some do spend waaaaaay too much time on the computer. Admit it.).
____

I agree

2012/1/24 11:14Profile

Re:

MJ... I'm one of them! Unfortunately I make a living using a computer.

Krispy

2012/1/24 11:23
Sree

Re:

Quote:

No one will be able to stand before God and say "I didnt go out and share the gospel with people because that wasnt my calling."

His response will be "No, I did not call you to do that... I COMMANDED you to do that!"

Brother why do you get offended? I never said you advertise it. I have clearly mentioned that. I gave a word of Caution, one can always take it in positive way. Also I have never said not to share about your experience in Hawaii. We need to share else how will i know the status of Hawaii? By experience I mean the state of Hawaii and how your heart was moved seeing them. You can always share that.

I do not believe everyone is called to teach. Each and everyone has a ministry that is specific to that person and not everyone can do it. But a common calling for everyone is to be like Jesus and stand as his witness. To live as a witness.

I am just saying that one should not generalize and call everyone to come and preach. You can express your burden for Hawaii to others that is not the issue here. It will move the heart of people and God might give them a ministry based on what he knows is best for them. Everything should be guided by Holy Spirit. Dint Jesus ask his disciples not to leave Jerusalem till they receive Baptism of Holy Spirit? Why did he say that, he said that because he wanted them to spread the Gospel lead by the Holy Spirit. Not to take things in their hands. There is nothing wrong in being patient. But we should all pray that God gives a Burden in our heart. Anything that is done out of Human Emotion will not last.

Forgive me If I have hurt you. I understand your intention in this thread, I believe it is good. It is always good to awaken people to do God's work.

2012/1/24 11:49Profile

Re:

I probably misunderstood you, just as you misunderstood me.

Am I saying everyone should drop everything and run to some foreign mission field? Goodness no! But most people who call themselves "Christians" are doing NOTHING. Nothing at all. Not even witnessing to their families, yet Jesus commanded us to GO. That might mean Fiji and it might mean next door.

My point is that the vast majority of believers are doing nothing at all, while the world goes to hell.

I'm not talking about teaching in the sense that someone teaches the bible in the church setting. If you share the gospel with someone who is not saved... you are teaching. Thats what the Lord was talking about. "Preaching and teaching and making disciples" is meant as evangelizing, and we are ALL called to do that.

And if we dont, then our love for God is suspect.

Krispy

2012/1/24 12:07

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy