SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : if i dont go to church at the moment can i tithe to an online ministry

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
tangible

new york city

if i dont go to church at the moment can i tithe to an online ministry

lord send someone to anwser this for me, 3 people

2012/1/17 18:39Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re: if i dont go to church at the moment can i tithe to an online ministry

I don't see why you can't. Personally I would look to the Lord for this answer, man might only confuse with lots of opinions.
God Bless!
Brother Bill

2012/1/17 18:42Profile
tangible

new york city

Re: hey

so what do you think lets say i bought a dvd from a minstry is that tithing

2012/1/17 19:12Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

You know we could spend years here debating tithing. From what I understand, the tithe helps support your churches ministry. I grew up in a small Baptist Church thinking that if I ever were to need help monetarily or with food or etc. I could go to the Church and seek help, that this was part of what the tithe was designed for. I would hope this would still be the same today, and maybe it is in some Churches. Anyway back to your question, buying a DVD would be supporting the ministry, rather it's considered a tithe, I don't know, in my world support is support, rather it's by tithing or support in other ways. The Church of today has changed dramatically, since I was a 10 year boy in a small southern baptist church, so I don't know.

2012/1/17 20:13Profile
pilgrim777

Re:

In Christ you have freedom brother and in Christ you are in the Church.

If the Lord is telling you to give why check with man to see if there is a rule or regulation about it?

Are you going to tell God you checked with man and can't obey Him?

Do you get my point? Where the Spirit is leading you there is no law.

Understand?

Pilgrim

2012/1/17 20:25Profile
Sidewalk

San Diego

Re: Tithe

The word tithe means to give 10%. It is not the same as giving a gift, supporting a ministry, going out of your way to help someone, or throwing a five-note in the offering plate. In Matthew 23 Jesus lambastes the Pharisees once again because they were taking 10 percent of everything they had like the leaves off their plants and offering it up not to God, but to fulfill the law. Their hearts were not involved.

Jesus told them that they were neglecting the weightier matters of the law- justice and mercy and faith. But then He said this- "These things you ought to have done, without neglecting the others." Jesus never dismissed the tithe.

In Christian conversion, we change from being self centered takers to God centered givers. To be free of the law, and there are some good threads on all of that, we should be giving way more than 10% because of a love for the things our Heavenly Father loves. If you are keeping track so that you don't fall below the minimum, you have missed the point and probably won't experience the joy of watching how much God gives to you.

Giving with the hidden motive of wanting to receive doesn't work either. That is largely why "Word of Faith" people fail and become embittered. When you give, don't let your left hand know what your right hand is doing- just give because it is the right thing to do.

Giving money to the drunk on the corner may not be the wisest move, either. You know exactly where that money is going. His need is more a gift of your time, direction to shelter, maybe a sandwich.

Use wisdom and don't keep track. Give things you don't need anymore, give time, and for Heaven's sake support your church or one nearby that preaches the gospel.

Yes the windows of Heaven will open onto you, especially if that's not the most important thing to you.

Sorry, didn't mean to get preachy here...

2012/1/19 14:52Profile
pilgrim777

Re:

Jesus mentioning the tithe to the Pharisees has nothing to do with Him endorsing the tithe. Until His death when the New Covenant was written in His blood, He was walking around and ministering with the Old Covenant still in effect. So, when He mentioned the tithe to the Pharisees He was using it to illustrate what the Pharisees WERE NOT doing and should have been doing. That in no way endorses the tithe just because He mentioned the word "tithe".

Regarding the tithe spoken of about Melchizedic in Hebrews 7.

Actually, Hebrews 7 has nothing to do with tithing in the New Covenant. Tithing is only mentioned as part of a comparison between the Melchizedek and the Levitical priesthood to show us how far superior a priest Jesus is.

The book of Hebrews proclaims the superiority of the New Covenant. It says we have a better hope (7:19), better covenant (7:22)(8:6), better promises (8:6), better sacrifices (9:23), better substance (10:34), better country (11:16), better resurrection (11:35), and better outcome of our faith (11:40).

It shows that Jesus has a better name (1:4) and better blood (12:24), and that we now have a better cleansing of sin, a better conscience (9:14), and a better relationship with God, entering the true holy place in the heavenly realm.

Verses above, are all from Hebrews.

Hebrews chapter 7 is showing us that Jesus is a greater priest than any priest in the Old Covenant. The Holy Spirit proves to us first that Melchizedek was a greater priest than any priest in the Old Covenant.

Let's look at Abraham and the tithe that he gave. What are some characteristics of this tithe and was it habitual.

1. First of all, there is no scriptural evidence that God told him to give it.

2. God's original promise and eventual covenant with Abraham was based on faith, alone. Nothing to do with tithing.

3. No where in Scripture did God instruct Abraham to give a tenth of the spoils to Melchizedek.

4. No where in Scripture did God ever instruct Abraham to give any tithe.

5. Abraham was already incredibly rich and he was not made rich by giving a tithe to Melchizedek.

6. When Abraham gave a tithe to Melchizedek, it was the only time that he ever gave a tithe.

7. The scriptures do not mention anywhere that Abraham ever gave another tithe the rest of his life.

8. The tithe that Abraham gave cost him nothing. It was on the spoils of the battle. It was not part of his personal possessions or the increase of his flocks and herds.

9. God's fulfillment to Abraham did not include a condition of tithing. God made Abraham rich in fulfillment of his promise alone, without any kind of tithing or giving.

10. Christian's have said that Abraham's tithe to Melchizedek is God's pattern for Christians in the New Covenant. There is no where in Scripture where this is stated.

11. Tithing had absolutely nothing to do with God fulfilling his promise to Abraham to make him a great nation, bless him, make his name great and that through him all the nations of the earth would be blessed. It was never mentioned except with Melchizedek and Abraham chose to do that only out of his spoils. Read

Abraham believed what God said and acted on it. There were no works involved.

12. God made Abraham rich on the basis of faith alone. Tithing was not the reason for Abraham's prosperity.

Folks, from Genesis to Revelation, God has never been in debt to man and He never will. Our relationship with Him is based on faith alone. We approach Him and love Him, on faith alone. And He rewards us and blesses us on Faith alone. He causes our soul to be fat (prosperous). His grace is far beyond any natural comprehension we can attain.

When you read the Bible you realize that information about the most important things in God's economy are not held back from us. They are revealed. Anything as important as an eternal, universal law of tithing would have been clearly communicated and not left to us to fumble about and figure out.

Tithers argue that Jesus is both king and priest and is therefore due a tithe. Jesus is certainly worthy of a tithe and much more, but his kingdom and priesthood are not based on the tithe. The tithe has no place in it. Everything about tithing is inferior to New Covenant life in Christ.

Jesus' call to us is not a 10% commitment. His call is absolute abandonment and commitment of all things to Him.

Jesus requires us to forsake all, to give all, and to use all for the accomplishment of his purposes.

Interestingly, He gives (entrusts) all things to us, and to jointly work with Him in His service and the Holy Spirit is now the leader in all matters and not the tithe, or any law or rules that come from man. And if the Holy Spirit is the leader in all matters, where does that leave the clergy?

That's another story.

Pilgrim

2012/1/19 21:40Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy