SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Christianity magazine defends Driscoll interview

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Christianity magazine defends Driscoll interview

Christianity magazine editor Ruth Dickinson has defended an interview with US pastor Mark Driscoll as “robust and fair”.

Excerpts of the interview were released to the media ahead of its publication in full on Sunday, and published on this website.

The excerpts suggested that Driscoll believes the church in Britain to be in crisis because of a lack of young, well-known Bible teachers.

He was quoted as saying: “Let’s just say this: right now, name for me the one young, good Bible teacher that is known across Great Britain. You don’t have one – that’s the problem. There are a bunch of cowards who aren’t telling the truth.” ...

read more: http://www.christiantoday.com/article/christianity.magazine.defends.driscoll.interview/29169.htm

2012/1/15 22:36Profile
ET101

Re: Christianity magazine defends Driscoll interview

Ouch!! Painful!! Yet yummy. . .

2012/1/16 1:41Profile
notlongnow

I can name one. He may not be "well known" across Britain, but he is young and a good bible teacher. Kevin Williams at http://www.puritanfellowship.com/

Frankly, what has age or being well known got to do with it. The 'church' in Britian is not in crisis because of a 'lack of young, well known bible teachers'. It is in crisis, as much of the 'church' across the world, because of hordes of unsaved people being deceived into thinking they are 'saved' masquerading as christians and because of false teachers, much like Mark Driscoll himself.

"Woe unto you, when all men shall speak well of you! for so did their fathers to the false prophets." Luke 6:26

Again Mark Driscoll demonstrates the fact he is clearly far removed from anything the scriptures say in his thinking and views.

2012/1/16 8:57Profile
learjet

Well, "out of the abundance of the heart the mouth does speak".

If he made the statement, regardless of the context, then stand by what you say. Don't tell a bunch of people that they are cowards and then later backtrack when the heat gets turned up on yourself.

2012/1/16 9:01Profile
learjet

Re:

Quote:
Frankly, what has age or being well known got to do with it. The 'church' in Britian is not in crisis because of a 'lack of young, well known bible teachers'. It is in crisis, as much of the 'church' across the world, because of hordes of unsaved people being deceived into thinking they are 'saved' masquerading as christians and because of false teachers, much like Mark Driscoll himself.

"Woe unto you, when all men shall speak well of you! for so did their fathers to the false prophets." Luke 6:26

Again Mark Driscoll demonstrates the fact he is clearly far removed from anything the scriptures say in his thinking and views.

AMEN, AMEN and AMEN!

This is exactly what I was thinking when I read the story, but you said it better than I could of. The cult of personality is a curse here in the US, "well known" people are respected, just like Hollywood. Godly, "little known" men who do not promote themselves are scarce, but they are here, just like everywhere else. The Lord is preparing them like dirty coal that is turned into a diamond. They hate this worldliness, and I would believe that it's the same way in Britain. He is in charge of His church, and His bride is making herself ready!

Thanks again!

2012/1/16 9:12Profile
learjet

Re:

The article is down but here is the cache of it:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:http://www.christiantoday.com/article/christianity.magazine.defends.driscoll.interview/29169.htm

2012/1/16 9:15Profile

Re:

Driscoll bleeds "Short Man's Syndrome" which is apparent in his sermons, writings, and interviews like this, so statements such as these are honestly not surprising. A lot of his stuff I've heard just criticizes other men who aren't "real men" to his standard, and says they need to be more manly (like him obviously).

Last time I checked though God doesn't seem to care much who the most well known "hipster" young pastors are as much as many others seem to, or that being well known is proof of anything or any sort of mark that He wants us aiming at anyway.

2012/1/16 10:23
elected

Tulsa OK

Re:

I just cant immagine 50 years from now the devastating results of this shallow new evangelicalism promoted from preachers and teachers who lack substantially the essense of genuine holiness in their preaching and lifestyle.

The new face of postmodernism penetrating the evangelical churches under the appearance of godliness, it's having its "hey day" today. Orthodoxy has been "hijacked" by the proponents of this "new religion" that is bringing a fresh breeze of air to the already "decaying institutional church". Now they want to export their new brand of christianity to the other parts of the world.

2012/1/16 10:24Profile
jimp

Re:

hi, i can't imagine anyone who names Jesus as saviour and is walking in the Spirit has time to criticize mark driscoll to the point i have seen here.if he is a brother and i do believe he is,it is forbidden by Jesus to krino him. he is a little different in that he founded a church soon after his conversion ,without training or experience.if you don't like him after listening to at least 5 hours of his sermons ,don't read his stuff or listen again.jimp

2012/1/16 11:21Profile
notlongnow

Re:

With all due respect Jimp, and I an only speak for myself, I in no way consider Mark Driscoll a brother and hence my staunch criticism of his proud, vain, sexually immoral, blasphemous words and behaviour.

Just because he claims to be a follower of Christ and manages to appear to be preaching truth here and there, does not cancel out the blaringly obvious bad fruit. There is just no way a man who can be so sexually explicit when discussing Gods Word and blasphemously reducing it to some way to shock and awe his sheeples, (who apparently love to be entertained by this kind of talk), could sincerely be promoting and serving Christ's interests. No. Mark is serving his and his only interests, primarily from what I can tell, his huge ego and also his seemingly wicked desire to constantly discuss sex and be crude.

I truly sense a spirit in Mark that seeks to pull other people into his sin, and a satisfaction he gets by doing that. It's as if he is saying, I'm going to stand up here and blasphemely misuse Gods Word, but all YOU people are are participating in this sin with me, by sitting here listening to me and enjoying it. I write so strongly about it because it sincerely grieves my spirit to think what God must think and feel about the way he misuses Gods Word and the things he says. I am also sad to think of God watching all the people who call themselves christians, but seem to not see anything wrong in a 'preacher' who links to a website with a sexually offensive title, and who wrote a book with an equally vile title, amongst the many other things Mark has offensively said. I don't think enough christians are speaking out about Mark and are instead being seduced by his mixture of good teaching mixed with rot. This is a common tactic of the enemy....appearing as an angel of light.....mixing lies in with the truth.

I know people can be sincerely deceived, especially young christians and I do pray these people will be convicted and come out from amongst uncleanliness like this.

But really, have we apostasized so far from Gods truth that we think someone that talks and grandstands in the sexually explicit, crude way Mark does, could be called a brother?

Please reconsider.

That really is all I wish to say about Mark as I do not want this to develop into a debate on him. I just say examine his fruits and as someone else said referenced; "out of the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaks".

"O generation of vipers, how can ye, being evil, speak good things? for out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh." Matt 12:34

God bless you, and I truly do not mean any discord towards you.

2012/1/17 8:56Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy