SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : The law - The Gospel

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
PosterThread
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

---this post has been edited----(tuc, I apologize for my harshness toward you)

Christinyou, God will let you know by His Spirit. His Spirit will bear witness with yours that you are His child.

If there is any doubt about your salvation, go to God and His Word in prayer. Examine yourself in light of His Word like it admonishes us to do(2Cor.13:5).

True believers have new desires to forsake all know sin in their lives and to please the Lord. We do not have our own will power but God's Spirit enables us to overcome any sin in our lives as we forsake it. If there is any known sin in your life, repent, confess it to God and forsake it like His Word says to do.

I will share this quote from Spurgeon on repentance:
"There must be a true and actual abandonment of sin and a turning unto righteousness in real act and deed in every day life. Repentance, to be sure, must be entire. How many will say, Sir, I will renounce this sin and the other...but there are certain darling lusts which I must keep and hold? Oh, sirs, in God's name let me tell you, it is not the giving up of one sin, nor 50 sins which is true repentance. It is the solemn renunciation of every sin. If thou dost harbor one of those accursed vipers in thy heart and dost give up every other, that one lust like one leak in a ship will sink thy soul. Think it not sufficient to give up thy outward vices, fancy it not enough to cut off the more corrupt sins of thy life, it is all or none which God demands. Repent, says He, and when He bids you repent, He means repent of all thy sins otherwise He can never accept thy repentance as real and genuine. All sin must be given up or else you will never have Christ. All transgression must be renounced or else the gates of heaven must be barred against you. Let us remember then that for repentance to be sincere, it must be entire repentance. True repentance is a turning of the heart as well as of the life. It is the giving up of the whole soul to God to be His forever and ever. It is the renunciation of the sins of the heart as well as the crimes of the life."

2012/1/18 20:36Profile
Elibeth

Re:

Oh Philup,
Why ,..always did Paul and all the others say, "Grace and Peace to you" ..?(first,Grace,...then Peace,in that order,...God is truly a God of order.
The Spirit of God ministers Grace to us,..His Spirit drawing us to Him,..
His Will,..this Grace gives us the needed Power to turn to God / His Will.
We have a will,..we know it is so prevelant in us,..But we have a choice,..
We can,..with His Spirit,..( Grace ) keep His Will / Words,..or we can
throw His Words to the ground,..and keep our Will / word,..The Lord wants to Save Us from ourselve. 'His arm is not shortened,that He cannot save'
Without this Grace doing His work,..we cannot have true Peace.that is why we always heard them say,.'.Grace and peace to you.'
He does not want us to shun this most Precious gift.

Yes, Christ in us,the hope of Glory.(Him being Glorified)
As His Spirit / Word comes up in us,.. His leading /guiding,..like a fountain of Living Water,..He is offering us Life,...and that more abundantly.
And He is Glorified.
Philup,be blessed with Himself,..and His workings in you mightily,
Elizabeth

2012/1/18 20:43Profile

Re:

The answer to the salvation question was given to us in the most simplest form.

Our Savior said --IF YOU WANT TO RECEIVE ETERNAL LIFE, KEEP THE COMMANDMENTS." Matthew 19:17

He said these very same words on the way to the cross "IF YOU LOVE ME, KEEP MY COMMANDMENTS" (John 14:15)

Very simple ain't it? But somehow we humans have managed to screw this up too.

All through the holy scriptures this message is repeated over and over and over.

Our argument is "Paul said we shouldn't keep the commandments. So I ask you this, who gives eternal life?
Paul or the Messiah? Try having that discussion with the Savior when he returns.

2012/1/18 22:28

Re:

I don't believe that Paul taught anything outside of what Jesus taught ... though some seem to think so, and some say because Paul used those words "my" Gospel".

Every command of Christ, is put into writing by Paul as well.

Sorry, I just love Paul and John.
The others too, but Paul and John have gotten me through some really tough times.
Paul needed to word things as he did for the Gentiles.
Jesus really put a LOT on Paul. Amen?

Thank you for bearing with my defense.

2012/1/18 22:43
Elibeth

Re:

Dear brother theEphah,
Yes, the Commandments were once wrote-up,..and they were read ,..and the people were to obey. But that failed,..so God made us a WAY,...
through His Precious Son,..and to reject His Way is to reject God.
When Jesus died for us,..He sent back to us His Way ,..who is The Way,..
Through the Holy Spirit,He teaches us and commands us,through the
Spirit....Don't we remember,..in Jn.,..He said,..'the words I speak unto you,they are Spirit,and they are Life. (Everlasting / Eternal),...He said,..
' I come to give you Life and that more abundantly' ?
His Words,/ Commands come with the Holy Spirit.
He is Word / Spirit. ...?His Words are commands to us.And through the Power of the Holy Spirit,..He gives us the enabling ability to do His Will.
He offers us Life,..He gave us a will,...we can choose to obey/ keep His Word,....Life or to throw His Word to the ground,and use ours,..death.
He will never lead us in an unrighteousness way...never.

And so we reach ,and press on for the mark of the HIGH CALLING of God.

In His Love for Him and of Him,
Elizabeth

2012/1/18 23:04Profile
pilgrim777

Re:

Philip,

A verse that God spoke to me during some especially difficult days and speaks to me personally whenever I hear a testimony of suffering like yours.

Jer 12:5 If thou hast run with the footmen, and they have wearied thee, then how canst thou contend with horses? and if in the land of peace, wherein thou trustedst, they wearied thee, then how wilt thou do in the swelling of Jordan?

God was answering Jeremiah's complaint.

If thou art not able to encounter lesser dangers, how wilt thou be able to overcome greater?

I have greater dangers for thee to encounter than those at Anathoth; if you are so disturbed with them, how will you be able to grapple with those at Jerusalem .

Once again, God reminds me, through the testimony of an overcoming Saint (Philip), that our total and complete trust must be in Him in the land of peace and the swelling of the Jordan . I would say, doubly in the land of peace. Because it is in the land of peace that we are deceived in letting down our guard and taking it easy. And if we don't pass the test in the land of peace, we will surely fail in the "swelling of the Jordan".

Philip you are in the "swelling of the Jordan ", and clinging to the Lord with every fiber of your being. You are standing strong and proclaiming the faithfulness of God. According to this scripture in Jeremiah, you are evidently doing this because the footmen did not weary you when you ran with them in the "land of peace". Here you are in the swelling of the Jordan and you are proclaiming Christ.

I pray for you that God will continue to uphold, strengthen, comfort and see you through this with victory, Philip. And He will!! So that you may stand in the congregation of the righteous and testify of His faithfulness and love. There are many more battles and from faith to faith and glory to glory, the Lord will lead you.

The swelling of the Jordan will not last forever and those of us that are running with the footmen in the land of peace, need to be reminded what God is doing in the lives of His people that are enduring tribulation and that "greater is He that is in you than he that is in the world."

Bless you dear brother for fighting the good fight, and not giving into self but rather proclaiming the love and mercies of God.

Thank you for your example of faithfulness and love for our Lord in the face of adversity.

Those of us that are running with the footmen are inspired to to see and hear of the Reality of Christ in those that suffer.

God bless you, richly,

You are in my prayers.
Pilgrim

Rom 8:33-34 Who shall lay any thing to the charge of God's elect? It is God that justifieth. Who is he that condemneth? It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us.

2012/1/18 23:09Profile
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

tuc, I edited my last post and apologized for my harshness.

maybe I need to take another vacation from this forum

2012/1/19 0:20Profile
ArtB

New York

Re:

[quote by Oracio on 2012/1/18 12:46:38]

ArtB, the context of Rom.7 tells us that Paul, as a Pharisee, thought he was keeping the Law, because he only thought of it as an external Law. But once he considered the 10th Commandment he realized it was not just external but also internal and he was "slain" by that Commandment.

ArtB wrote: "The Laws of the New Covenant of Jesus Christ are not negative, they are positive Laws that focus us on doing what is good and kind."

Not so. The Law of Christ has both negative and positive aspects. Here are just a few examples of multitudes from the N.T.:...

"Therefore let us cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armor of light. 13 Let us walk properly, as in the day, not in revelry and drunkenness, not in lewdness and lust, not in strife and envy. 14 But put on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make no provision for the flesh, to fulfill its lusts."(Rom.13:12-13) ...

Apparently, Oracio, you have a problem differentiating between exhortations by Paul, with Jesus Laws of the New Covenant and the Laws of Moses. Exhortations are not laws because there are no trials or judgements associated with them. Exhortations are encouragements to have the right mind set in establishing love bonds between people.

[quote by Oracio]"Romans 25 Therefore, putting away lying,..."

The LAWS of Moses does not forbid lying. It forbids false testimony in a Court of Law where penalties are an issue. The ancient Jewish Midrash contains Jewish teachings on the proper times and situations when it is proper and righteous to tell a lie, or lies, or mislead.

Paul is simply stating that Christians ought not lie to one another, because that would damage the love, the fellowship, that we have in God and with one another. Paul's Exhortations are encouragements, they are not Laws. Paul's exhortations are wise encouragements, but have no legal penalties or provisions for enforcement.

2012/1/19 0:53Profile
ArtB

New York

Re:

Quote:
by theEphah on 2012/1/18 19:28:28

Our Savior said --IF YOU WANT TO RECEIVE ETERNAL LIFE, KEEP THE COMMANDMENTS." Matthew 19:17

He said these very same words on the way to the cross "IF YOU LOVE ME, KEEP MY COMMANDMENTS" (John 14:15)

You could ignore what I wrote in replies to these statements all you want, but it is you who are doing all the ignoring.

1. Jesus never preached to gentiles prior to His Crucifixion. Jesus said the gentiles were like dogs unworthy of the bread for His children Israel.

2. Jesus was under the Mosaic Law until His death on the cross. Had Jesus preached the New covenant prior to His death, He would have violated the Mosaic Covenant, making Him a sinner. The Jews accused Jesus of violating the Mosaic covenant, Jesus with strong words denied this.

3. In all His public speeches, Jesus addressed them only to Jews, and He taught them to keep the Mosaic Laws. That is why He said what is written in Matthew 19:17 and John 14:25.

4. In Romans Paul writes the the Mosaic Law causes sin to increase, tat he would never known about coveting apart from the Mosaic Law, but the Mosaic commandment 'Thou shall not Covet' worked in the flesh to cause coveting of all sorts.'

5. Read the book of Galatians, Paul tells them that if they put themselves back under the Mosaic Law, they are nullifying their being saved by God's Grace.

6. In Hebrews Paul tells us that the Mosaic Law was useless and worthless in that it could not save anyone.

7. In Hebrews Paul declared that Jesus is not a Priest according to Levi, which was a temporal priesthood. But that Jesus is a Priest of the far superior everlasting Priesthood of Melchizedek. And that where there is a change of Priesthood, there is also a Change of Law. The New Covenant is not an extension of the Old Testament Covenant of Moses, it is a completely different Covenant. Anyone who embraces the works of the Mosaic Laws, forfeits salvation by grace through the sacrifice of the unblemished Lamb of God and His shed blood that washes away our sins for all time. Read Hebrews, you can not miss this.

8. And then there is Zechariah who predicts that God will annihilate the Mosaic Covenant when the Messiah dies on the cross. The Mosaic Covenant is completely replaced by the New Covenant, which has its' own set of Laws.

Read Zechariah 11: 1-6 = The prophecy of the burning of Herod's Temple in Jerusalem in 70 AD. Many Jews agree this is the fulfilling of that prophecy.

Read Zechariah 11: 7-14 = The prophecy of God annihilating His bilateral Contract with His peoples, the Jews. The only Bilateral Contract God made with the peoples is the Mosaic Covenant. What do you think Zev 7:

Zechariah Chapters 12 and 13 are happening now, right before our eyes.

Jesus declares That first will be last and the last will be first. The Israelis were first, but they shall be last saved. And in Romans 11 Paul writes that all Israel shall be saved. God has not abandoned the offspring of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.

2012/1/19 2:15Profile
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

ArtB wrote: Apparently, Oracio, you have a problem differentiating between exhortations by Paul, with Jesus Laws of the New Covenant and the Laws of Moses. Exhortations are not laws because there are no trials or judgements associated with them. Exhortations are encouragements to have the right mind set in establishing love bonds between people."

Again, not so. These are just a few of multitudes of N.T. scriptures where Paul gives "commandments", not just exhortations and encouragements, from the Lord:

"Now to the married I command, yet not I but the Lord: A wife is not to depart from her husband."(1Cor.7:10)

"Circumcision is nothing and uncircumcision is nothing, but keeping the commandments of God is what matters."(1Cor.7:19)

"If anyone thinks himself to be a prophet or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things which I write to you are the commandments of the Lord."(1Cor.14:37)

“Honor your father and mother,” which is the first commandment with promise"(Eph.6:2)

Notice that the last one from Ephesians is a direct quote of the 5th Commandment, and that Paul applies that commandment to Christians. And there are many other such examples which I have posted and which you seem to be ignoring or avoiding. Friend, don't tell believers they are not obligated to obey God's moral laws.

Again, we are not under any obligation to obey any ceremonial or civil laws of the Old Covenant. But we are clearly bound by the Lord as His servants to obey His moral laws.

And again, we are not saved nor do we keep our salvation by keeping God's moral laws, but only by God's grace(unmerited favor). That grace that saves us also changes us from the inside out, giving us new desires to obey God's moral commandments found in both the Old and New Testament.

2012/1/19 11:13Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy