SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : The Cult of Biblicism

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 )
PosterThread
roadsign

Re:

Quote:
There are times when the Spirit goes contrary to the word –

O dear, O dear, O dear! I am getting shaken up on this thread! This is absolute heresy!!!

..... or ….

….. or ….

….. . maybe it’s God’s very nature.

It occurs to me that God’s mercy is a contradiction in itself. After all, none of us deserve to have even one breath today. No! Every day, every moment is an act of divine mercy – a contradiction of God’s perfect justice.

God’s Spirit constantly contradicts his word, his law - in the most profound sense! He is still rending the curtain in half and opening his grace to undeserving humankind. His perfect love keeps flowing through the reeking trenches of enemy territory: wretched, rebellious, sinful humanity. Talk about contradiction!

And to think, God keeps on calling the most unlikely sinner into his service. He did it in bible days, and he does it today. Talk about contradiction!

To think - if we are his, we will stand in his very presence - for eternity. The sinner – in the presence of the Most Holy! Talk about contradiction!

This is the ultimate of paradoxes. And it leaves me breathless – just thinking about it.

No wonder grace is so threatening to the law-clinger. It’s not right! It can’t be right!

Quote:
But never contrary to the Spirit of the word.

How can that be!

Does that not silence you?

Diane

2012/1/13 15:45Profile
Miccah

Wisconsin

Re:

Foolishness.

2012/1/13 16:02Profile
sarahsdream

Re:

Amen, Miccah. God's ways are foolishness to man's "wisdom".

2012/1/13 16:04Profile
Sidewalk

San Diego

Re: Late to the conversation

Many, many years ago I am convinced I heard God tell me I could believe His Word. It surprised me at the time, in my youth and inexperience I simply believed the Bible- why would He tell me that? Also, it was repetitive, and kept coming into my head.

Reading through this exhaustive conversation, I see once again how important that revelation has become.

As I mentioned in another thread, the Bible is my venue of conversation in the Spirit. I get insights and revelations that others may not get, and they get things I don't. But the Word is constant, and facilitates me teaching you, you teaching me.

The versions are obviously going to be nuanced differently by different translators, but I believe God has always been aware of that and would that it be translated into every language. English is only one!

That's why major themes are repeated and corroborated over time and from author to author.

I noticed not long ago in the book of Acts during one of Paul's speeches that he quoted Jesus saying "It is more blessed to give than to receive."

Wait a minute, Paul never heard Jesus say that. Which led me to this thought:

Do you suppose that the newly converted Paul, now knowing who Jesus was/is aggressively encouraged the other disciples who had heard the actual words to write them down, to produce finished manuscripts that then became our gospels?

"Peter! You were there! What exactly did He say?" "John, you made notes- could I see them? You have to organize and put this together for the rest of the brethren!" "Luke, what do you have there?"

The Word is the heart and soul of our life in Christ. I suggest if you have any doubts, go to God directly, get your own revelation of your relationship with the Bible.

2012/1/15 23:25Profile
roadsign

Re:

Quote:
That's why major themes are repeated and corroborated over time and from author to author.

A delightful post, Sidewalk!

Yes! The Bible is exceptionally tamper-resistant and idiot-proof. If you miss a point in one verse, you may see it in another..... or another..... or another. And if you miss the meaning in one particular word, you may see it in another word ... or simply through the stories themselves.

If you overlook a point in a parable you see it in a narrative. Or you will see it in the grand narrative of scripture. Even when Biblical terms lose their meaning through cultural usage and over-familiarity, the narratives are always there to restore the intended meaning.

The Bible is amazingly resilient – even in its thousands of translations.

Biblicism is not a problem with the Bible, but with the reader. It is the condition of myopia in which you see only one letter at a time, but the bigger picture is lost from view. The cure is eye surgery performed by the Great Physician.

Quote:
The Word is the heart and soul of our life in Christ. I suggest if you have any doubts, go to God directly, get your own revelation of your relationship with the Bible.

Good advice. Second-hand faith just won’t get you there.

Diane

2012/1/16 7:54Profile
pilgrim777

Re:

Amen, Amen. Balance.

...And it is the Spirit that beareth witness, because the Spirit is truth. 1 John 5:6b

He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; Rev 2:7

For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven. Psa 119:89

Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away. Mat 24:35

2012/1/16 8:25Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re: The Cult of Biblicism

Sidewalk and Roadsign,

I enjoyed both your posts!

sidewalk: I noticed not long ago in the book of Acts during one of Paul's speeches that he quoted Jesus saying "It is more blessed to give than to receive." Wait a minute, Paul never heard Jesus say that.

Roadsign: I really liked that myopia statement.

So much wisdom in both of these posts.

God bless you both,
Lisa

2012/1/16 9:15Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy