SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
See Opportunities to Serve with SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Gems from the OT Law

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 )
PosterThread
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: Deuteronomy 8

Deuteronomy 8

God’s Gracious Dealings

1“All the commandments that I am commanding you today you shall be careful to do, that you may live and multiply, and go in and possess the land which the LORD swore to give to your forefathers.

2“You shall remember all the way which the LORD your God has led you in the wilderness these forty years, that He might humble you, testing you, to know what was in your heart, whether you would keep His commandments or not.

3“He humbled you and let you be hungry, and fed you with manna which you did not know, nor did your fathers know, that He might make you understand that man does not live by bread alone, but man lives by everything that proceeds out of the mouth of the LORD.

4“Your clothing did not wear out on you, nor did your foot swell these forty years.

5“Thus you are to know in your heart that the LORD your God was disciplining you just as a man disciplines his son.

6“Therefore, you shall keep the commandments of the LORD your God, to walk in His ways and to fear Him.

7“For the LORD your God is bringing you into a good land, a land of brooks of water, of fountains and springs, flowing forth in valleys and hills;

8a land of wheat and barley, of vines and fig trees and pomegranates, a land of olive oil and honey;

9a land where you will eat food without scarcity, in which you will not lack anything; a land whose stones are iron, and out of whose hills you can dig copper.

10“When you have eaten and are satisfied, you shall bless the LORD your God for the good land which He has given you.

11“Beware that you do not forget the LORD your God by not keeping His commandments and His ordinances and His statutes which I am commanding you today;

12otherwise, when you have eaten and are satisfied, and have built good houses and lived in them,

13and when your herds and your flocks multiply, and your silver and gold multiply, and all that you have multiplies,

14then your heart will become proud and you will forget the LORD your God who brought you out from the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery.

15“He led you through the great and terrible wilderness, with its fiery serpents and scorpions and thirsty ground where there was no water; He brought water for you out of the rock of flint.

16“In the wilderness He fed you manna which your fathers did not know, that He might humble you and that He might test you, to do good for you in the end.

17“Otherwise, you may say in your heart, ‘My power and the strength of my hand made me this wealth.’

18“But you shall remember the LORD your God, for it is He who is giving you power to make wealth, that He may confirm His covenant which He swore to your fathers, as it is this day.

19“It shall come about if you ever forget the LORD your God and go after other gods and serve them and worship them, I testify against you today that you will surely perish.

20“Like the nations that the LORD makes to perish before you, so you shall perish; because you would not listen to the voice of the LORD your God.

COMMENT:

This potion is part of Moses' farewell speech to the Israelites just before they entered Canaan. He reminds them where they have been in the past forty years and what God will do for them IF they remain faithful.

As I ponder the points Moses makes in this chapter I am reminded of how man is so quickly drawn away from God, how affluence is the dominate factor in leading man away. God says he blessed them - they did not acquire it by their own effort. Material comforts does just that, make people comfortable and before too long they become arrogant and feel they do not need God as much as when they were struggling.

Many preachers in the recent past - like 40 years- have preached much about the danger of affluence. Is this at the heart of the apostasy we see today? People do not think they need God. The percentage of people who believe God exists is the lowest it has been for a while. Is it possible that when people's ability to acquire what they want, when they want, and how they want is no longer possible they will take a look at how fragile they are?

And you know what? I get the sense God loves to bless his people abundantly with material comforts, but I also know from reading the history of God's people they cannot handle it well, either, be it OT or NT - like now.

This is something I ponder a lot...do my comforts make me complacent? help me to forget God? If I have the ability to acquire what I want when I want why should I have to ask God for it when all I have to do is go buy it?

EDITED for clarity.

2012/6/13 10:57Profile
NateMarshall

Re: Leviticus 16 & Christ's Crucifixion

I'm not sure I would claim "insight" just yet, but I do feel that perhaps a connection was made, at least in my mind.

According to Leviticus 16:15-19, the Holy Place, the altar of sacrifice, and the tent of meeting had to be atoned for. They had to be consecrated, and made completely holy before a sacrifice could be made on and in those places for the people.

"Then he shall kill the goat of the sin offering that is for the people and bring its blood inside the veil and do with its blood as he did with the blood of the bull, sprinkling it over the mercy seat and in front of the mercy seat. Thus he shall make atonement for the Holy Place, because of the uncleannesses of the people of Israel and because of their transgressions, all their sins. And so he shall do for the tent of meeting, which dwells with them in the midst of their uncleannesses. No one may be in the tent of meeting from the time he enters to make atonement in the Holy Place until he comes out and has made atonement for himself and for his house and for all the assembly of Israel. Then he shall go out to the altar that is before the LORD and make atonement for it, and shall take some of the blood of the bull and some of the blood of the goat, and put it on the horns of the altar all around. And he shall sprinkle some of the blood on it with his finger seven times, and cleanse it and consecrate it from the uncleannesses of the people of Israel."

Bottom line: the sacrifice and the place of sacrifice had to be holy in order for the sacrifice to be acceptable before God. And in fact, it was the blood of the sacrifice that sanctified the place of sacrifice.

This lead me to wonder, "How is Jesus shown in this? How did Jesus meet these demands?" And by the light of God shining into my dark mind, I believe I have an answer: there was nothing holy about the Roman cross. It was a cruel form of punishment and torture. It certainly wasn't sanctified, it didn't glitter with bronze plating, there was no molding to catch the ashes of the sacrifice soon to be laid on it. But as Jesus was ground, beaten, bloodied, flayed, and eventually hung on the cross by the Roman guards, his blood flowed freely and profusely. He, the perfect, unblemished sacrifice, would soon be offered up on this altar, but not before his precious blood dripped off of his body and consecrated the altar of sacrifice: an old rugged cross. Jesus, the sacrifice, sanctified the place of sacrifice, the cross, with his blood. He is the perfect fulfillment of all the requirements of the Day of Atonement.

2012/6/13 14:42Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Nate,

As I read your question, I noted that Jesus was not offered up in the temple as were the sacrificial animals. But was offered outside the camp, so to speak. Goats were used as scapegoats, hands laid on them with the sins of the people imposed on them then released outside the camp. Leviticus 16:21,22. So then, Jesus was our scapegoat.

When I study the rituals as commanded by God as pertaining to the offerings, I find precise instructions given. If ever in doubt about that, read Numbers. God had no tolerance with any who would modify any ritual or command as it pertained to the sacrifice. He was very exacting and without mercy.

As I pondered this aspect of God I see a wonderful parallel in how we are not to diminish the importance of Jesus sacrifice for our sins. He was exacting in how he ministered to people, he was exacting in his obedience to his Father...he was perfect, no fault in his life or in his sacrifice.

I do not know, but it seems as though I cannot fully comprehend the depth of this issue. I know it is deep, profound, hence my study of the OT law - it enlightens but never having been in a culture where animal sacrifices were part of our religious duties, I am left with imagination... Yet, in all this, I sense a holiness that stands in contrast to the awfulness of sin. I just do not comprehend it completely.

My comment...

2012/6/14 5:54Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Nate's question has set me on a path of meditation and this has to do with the seriousness of the sacrifices, the rituals inherent to them.

Violation of the laws as pertaining to the sacrifices - how they were done with what and where and by whom, the fire, the tabernacle, its furniture was very strict. There was no sacrifice available for the violators of these laws. Justice was swift and without mercy. Violations of other laws were forgiven but a sacrifice was made for them. The exception was for adultery, beastality and homosexuality. Then the guilty were to be stoned, including the animal.

Lesson: how can man expect to play around, minimize the sacrifice of the LORD Jesus and expect to receive forgiveness? There never was one under the OT. The NT tells us all manner of blasphemy will be forgiven (Matt. 12:31) but not blasphemy against the Holy Spirit. Do we minimize Jesus' sacrifice or do we hold it sacred, hold it in high regard?

2012/6/14 11:15Profile

©2002-2021 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy