Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Books on Parenting

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Books on Parenting

I am wondering what books would you readers recommend that deal with parenting? We grew up with Benjamin Spock and he has since admitted his philosophy is flawed, so what books do modern parents like that are balanced and Biblical?

I am thinking of someone who may expand Susanna Wesley's philosophy on parenting. Also one that deals with birth-order. I know Kevin Leman has written some on this issue but am not familiar with current writings.

There is one thing I am seeing that disturbs me - we never had to deal with this issue. Your first-born is a daughter, the second one is a male and your third can be a female and from there on it can be any gender. The first-born is one who takes responsibility and does it well. The second, who is a boy, will work hard to interfere, make life absolutely miserable for the older and - younger - sister. There is a rivalry that I suspect is rooted in maleness and femaleness and how they relate. The tragedy is that parents seem to be oblivious to this conflict - they think these children are just fighting again.

Anyhow, is there a book that would address these issues that would be wise to share with young parents?

Thank-you!

2012/1/2 13:33Profile

Re: Books on Parenting

Hi Sis. I wanted to bump this and at the same time tell you that I know a wonderful couple that could probably answer this, but I've got to get in touch with them to ask.

I don't necessarily believe the birth-order stuff but the couple that I have in mind would fall under that Susanna Wesley type.
Hope to get back with their secret soon.

Bless you much!

- I've been watching the advertising above each thread, and it seems to go by 'topic' when possible.
Over King Jimmy's great thread about Jacob's Limp - the advertizing was just now about "how to get rid of knee pain".

The one on this thread was interesting too, but it changed since - Thank GOD.

:)

2012/1/4 17:04
roadsign

Re:

Hi Sis, You'll easily find all kinds of material on amazon.com - or elsewhere.

I like Andrew Murray's "How to Bring your Children to Christ".

If I were you I would have reservations about Susannah Wesley. I read her biography by Dallimore (a reputable Christian biographer). She is certainly an exhaled saint. She was a dedicated Christian in many ways, but she did not model strong believing faith. It was not until after her son John became an evangelist that he led her to the Lord in saving faith.

I suggest the "Boundaries" books by Cloud/Townsend. There is also a Boundaries for Kids - which I have not read. This is very basic reading - and addresses unhelpful patterns that prevail in our relationships today.

Years ago I found this book helpful:
"How to Really love your child" by Dr. Ross Campbell. (I see you can still being published.)

Blessed adventures in parenting, Ginnyrose,
Diane

2012/1/4 18:16Profile
pernvic

Denny Kenaston with Charity ministries
Micheal Pearl has some good ideas

2012/1/4 21:51Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

QUOTE:
"If I were you I would have reservations about Susannah Wesley."

I have never heard of this. After doing a brief search did find she struggled with doubt until later in life. But then, I would not think this would discredit her parenting skills, do you? Still, I know others have written a lot on parenting - Wesley's philosophy is not an isolated one.

The reason I asked about a book on parenting is I want to buy one for someone. I know they are plentiful and it vexes me to no end to wade through this assortment to find a gem. Our 'baby' is almost 6 feet tall and and has seen 31 - or 32,depending on how you want to count them - birthdays so we have been out of this loop for a while.

Thanks for sharing.

2012/1/7 11:32Profile
roadsign

Re:

Ginnyrose,

I suggest you read "Susanna" by Arnold Dallimore. I see a copy for 25 cents on amazon.com. Go for it!! You'll love it!

The author has done careful biographical research into primary documents, but keeps the book from getting overly scholarly in style. So it's engaging, but not glamorized. You see the strength of her character - even as you see her struggle with faith.

You can always decide afterwards if your friend would like it.

Diane

2012/1/7 12:08Profile
Miccah

Wisconsin

Re:

"Shepherding a Child's Heart" by Tedd Tripp.

Great book.

2012/1/7 12:17Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

To Train up a Child by Michael and Debbie Pearl is a good book. In fact, I would recommend almost anything they write in regards to parenting.

2012/1/7 15:28Profile

Re:

Child Training Tips by Reb Bradley

2012/1/7 19:58
live4jc

Dear sister Sandra (Ginnyrose),

I've been trying to think about books that would be good ones to recommend for parenting. I thought of a few. I haven't read through this whole thread, so some of these may have recommended by other people already. One is called, 'Shepherding your Child's heart', by Tedd Tripp. This seemed to have been a balanced book, in the sense of emphasizing the need for parents to discipline their kids, but to do so in a loving way. Also, a book that I've heard many good things about but haven't had a chance to read yet is, 'How to raise your children for Christ' by Andrew Murray.

Another series of books I'd highly recommend are daily devotional books. They are called, 'The one year book of Devotions for kids'. (Tyndale publishing) There are a number of books in this series. The way they work is each day as a family you first read through a Bible passage that goes with the daily devotion. Then this is followed by a 'devotional', that basically puts the principles from the Bible passage into the form of story. So the story shows a real life application of these principles in someone's life. These books are great!

…..Along these same lines, I had been thinking of starting a new thread recently to ask for feedback from parents about 'good kids books that would really stir up kid's interest in the things of God'. I hope that asking about this on this thread does not derail your thread Sandra, and take away from the focus of it. If it does, I'll start a new one :)

…..Can any of you recommend good books such as this? (I'm thinking of books that will help kids to see the power of God at work in people's lives, to transform them and to equip them for service. I'd be especially interested in hearing about biographies of Christians, which fit this description. As well, it would be great to know if anyone has come across books that deal with revivals that have taken place, and how God has been at work in kid's lives in these revivals. )

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated and as well, I'd be interested to hear about more good suggestions that people have about 'parenting books' they've found to be helpful.

In Christ's love,
John

2012/1/8 12:51Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy