SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : When God answers a careless prayer. . .

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
ET101

When God answers a careless prayer. . .

Art Katz tells the story of someone once asking 'what is the evidence in one's life of the baptism of the Holy Spirit?' Someone else quickly whips 'trouble!'

I did a careless thing (again and again) over the past several months; I prayed 'God - whatever it takes - whatever pain, whatever You have to do - whatever trouble - whatever heartache - whatever grief - whatever is necessary to establish Your perfect will in my life, amen to it.'

I will go on praying it because I'm persuaded there is no One else who holds the keys of life.

There was no audible response. There was no sign that the prayer registered with Him. Perhaps He brushed it aside as something said in careless zeal. . .

How then all this trouble? Family trouble. Jobless. Put aside in a lonely place. Attacks of the enemy - stabs into my emotional wounds. Temptations to sin.

Meanwhile I'm reading the accounts of the fathers of the reformation and I cringe that I even raise my head to say 'I'm hurting.'

All this to say; saints, please pray for me - that God does not let up till I am aligned to His perfect will. And then, pray for yourself that He would do whatever it takes to achieve His perfect will in your life too!

2011/12/28 7:24Profile
White_Stone

North Central Florida

Re: When God answers a careless prayer. . .

Thank you for your post. Now all the trouble we have had lately makes sense. I, too, prayed something similar. I told my husband about my prayer and he supported it. Diamonds are not formed without pressure. Silver is not refined without intense heat. Thank your Lord for your hand on me.

"His rod and His staff, they comfort me." To be cracked with a rod is not a gentle touch, but it is my God who applies the pressure needed to achieve the result He wants. I would rather be knocked around by my Lord than petted by the world.

white stone

edited to add: I recently read about how shepherds will sometimes break a leg on an lamb that constantly runs off. Then carry it around until it healed, the end result = they never ran off again.

2011/12/28 14:03Profile
ET101

Re:

Thank you White Stone.

I agree. I count it an honour from God. And yet, I think I romanticise it somewhat. . .as though the cracking of the rod comes because I asked for it. . .no, it comes because there is much in me that warrants it. . .and some of that is becoming more apparent during this season.

May God bring His work in us to an end that satisfies Him alone.

Thank you.

2011/12/29 0:26Profile

Re:

ET101

beware what you wish for... just kidding. that is what some people call a dangerous prayer

but

I rather suffer here like crazy and end up in heaven then have an easy life here and end up in hell.

I too have prayed that prayer and suffered like crazy, lost my job, i thought God told me to not to look for a job and got into huge credit card debt, lost most of my friends, and most of them are not saved, they aren't even going to church anymore. And now I got sick, really sick, but I did find a job but my life has been marked with PAIN, PAIN, and more PAIN.

I have to wonder about those christians who never seem to suffer. I don't think that is possible especially with the kind of world we live in.

Seeking after God hurts....bad, the cost of discipleship is your life. I'm still seeking him, I don't know how strong my faith is but everytime I try to forget this whole christianity stuff and walk the ways of the world, I always come back.

Seek Him, brother. Even though I don't have assurance of my salvation and I don't sometimes even know what I believe, there is something here and don't forget to read the bible, that is the easiest, most straightforward way God speaks to you. At the same time, that and praying is the hardest thing for us to do. Our flesh hates it.

2011/12/29 4:03
narrowpath

Germany NRW

I prayed this prayer 11 years ago at a men's breakfast meeting. The answer did not wait long. Job loss, business failure, sickness, depression, loss of friends, trouble in church. I saw my fallen and apostate condition and the condition of those around me. He lead me to an intensified prayer life and deeper understanding of scripture and brought me back to life.

I had entered God's school, I do not regret the prayer, I was finally treated as a disciple whereas before Satan only yawned at me.

2011/12/29 4:20Profile
ET101

Re:

Thank you. It's very reassuring that others have walked this path too. I've lost all my friends too - just two remain.

There's a strong witness in me though that I'm where I need to be. . .if anything I'm negligent of some disciplines like consistency in prayer, studying scriptures, fasting and intercession.

Thank you - it encourages me much through this season.

2011/12/29 7:35Profile
Jeremy221

I've prayed that prayer and He is answering. Part of the answer has been in this message by Art Katz,

K-033 Extravagant Love by Art Katz

http://media.sermonindex.net/12/SID12297.mp3

2011/12/29 9:58Profile
Dlight

Re:

Wow, what an encouragement to know that others have walked down the same path that I am walking right now! The honesty in this thread is refreshing!

Like you ET101, even though I am under much distress, I hesitate to even mention that I am hurting; because I have heard/read of accounts of godly men and women who went before us that went through some tough trials.

And I agree completely about us tending to romanticize God's discipline and training. We need it more than we realize! For the record, I too have prayed this 'radical' prayer several times. But if I ever realized my need for God to accomplish His will in my life, it is because He opened my eyes to it.

I relate to every single one of these posts. My heart goes out to you codek. During a wilderness season, I, too, contemplated forsaking Christianity; but I immediately realized that I could never leave. Not because I was enslaved, but because the majesty, might, love, sovereignty etc. of God, and my dependance on Him, constrained me. I found that all I knew was Christ, and I could not imagine a life without Him. Where would my salvation come from? To whom would I turn? Hold on tight to Christ, brother. All other ground is sinking sand.

2011/12/30 3:09Profile
hugo85

Re:

that's intersting i buy your idea because i personally believe that there is nothing refered to as careless prayers because prayer results from a need

2011/12/30 5:42Profile
hugo85

you began your message with a key fact without which pleasing God will be very complicated. i wich to know what really serve as evidence to recognise someone having the Holy spirit

2011/12/30 5:51Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy