SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Your thoughts on how to stay close to God daily...

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
savedtoserve

Your thoughts on how to stay close to God daily...

How do you maintain a close, vibrant, loving, and firey relationship with GOD every day? I would love to hear your thoughts on this matter. When every day throws new curveballs at you and the going gets tough...what keeps you growing and glowing? I realize that the Christian life is not all about feelings, but I'm talking about more than feelings here.

If you read biographies of the great Christians of the past, they always highlighted one or two things that were essential to their own spiritual health...what are yours?

God bless y'all,
savedtoserve

2011/12/19 12:10Profile
HeartSong

Re: Your thoughts on how to stay close to God daily...

Time alone with the LORD in prayer.

2011/12/19 12:53Profile

It takes discipline. There is no doubt.

One thing that really helps me is to be constantly talking to the Lord... and talking about the Lord. Talk about Him to fellow believers, family members, and even people who do not know Him.

By doing this you are actually not just engaging with the Lord at every turn, but also setting up boundaries and raising other's expectations of you. It really holds you accountable and the Holy Spirit is faithful to remind you of this.

If we are truly regenerated then our desire is to serve Him and live holy lives, set apart. Therefore, we will also agree that the world and the devil want to distract us from that desire. So we need to set up those boundaries.

If you do not have a desire for holiness then you need to get saved, because you aren't.

I'll probably get accused of promoting legalism or something. I'm not. But we do need to put some effort, discipling and yes... work into our relationship with Christ. I mean, think about it... anyone here who has been married knows that it takes WORK.

Greg may not know that yet, he hasnt been married long enough. But he will! :-)

Krispy

2011/12/19 12:56
Sree

Re:

Quote:

One thing that really helps me is to be constantly talking to the Lord... and talking about the Lord. Talk about Him to fellow believers, family members, and even people who do not know Him.

Good point. It works for me as well. Discussing about God and his work as much as possible with others, even with our own spouse will help us to be more focused on him.

Quote:

By doing this you are actually not just engaging with the Lord at every turn, but also setting up boundaries and raising other's expectations of you.

It is this point that bothers me, regarding expectations of others. I prefer to have least expectations from others. When I talk to people I talk about how weak I am and how God can strengthen us. So this puts less expectation on you and more on God, Also it gives more hope to the listeners.
I somehow feel that you need to be careful about what you said because it can easily result in holiness out of fear of Men rather than fear of God. Though it is still holiness, it will not last forever if it is out of fear of men.

Quote:

But we do need to put some effort, discipling and yes... work into our relationship with Christ. I mean, think about it... anyone here who has been married knows that it takes WORK.

I thought there is no word called WORK in the dictionary of Calvinist. :)

2011/12/19 14:57Profile

Re:

Quote:
I thought there is no word called WORK in the dictionary of Calvinist. :)

I know you're just poking a little fun there, but if you really think that then you do not understand what I mean by "work" and also what Calvinism actually teaches. Works are a result of our love for the Lord, and our gratitude for what He did for us.

Quote:
It is this point that bothers me, regarding expectations of others. I prefer to have least expectations from others. When I talk to people I talk about how weak I am and how God can strengthen us. So this puts less expectation on you and more on God, Also it gives more hope to the listeners.
I somehow feel that you need to be careful about what you said because it can easily result in holiness out of fear of Men rather than fear of God. Though it is still holiness, it will not last forever if it is out of fear of men.

Let me explain a little more what I mean. For instance, when I started the job I now have the first thing I did was place a Bible on my desk. Why? To make a declaration. I said nothing about it, but proceeded to work my tail off and do the best possible job I can do. I also treat people with love and respect. I spoke of the Lord when opportunities arise.

So, without a doubt people know I am a Christian... and not just a Christian... but a serious Christian. There are several things that result because of this, but one of them is it holds me accountable to live out what I have declared that I believe. Not out of a fear of man, for I truly care not for what people think of me (if I did I would not make such a bold declaration as I have).

It holds me accountable because I have made the name of the Lord known, and I love Him so much I now do not want to do ANYTHING to bring reproach upon His name. I want to work as hard as I can so as to bring honor to His name. I want to be the best worker the company has so as to bring glory unto His name. I want to be the most friendly and caring co-worker so as to bring praises unto His name.

This is what I mean by what I said. It's really just a carry-over from my football life. I always tell my players "When you put that uniform on you no longer represent yourself, you represent the team!"

Some may disagree and argue about it, but I dont really care. For me, this is absolutely the right thing to do.

Krispy

2011/12/19 15:19

Re: Lets get practical

Maintaining a daily walk with the Lord is as practical as being in the word and prayer. It should start with time with God in the morning. A quiet time if you will and continue with prayer through out the day. We are called into a relationship with Jesus.

Blaine Scogin

2011/12/19 15:38
savedtoserve

Re:

Thanks for your replies...I really appreciate them. Yes, prayer is usually at the top of the list.

Krispy, I see what you're saying and I'm going to try to implement more of Christ in my conversations.

Quote:
If you do not have a desire for holiness then you need to get saved, because you aren't.

I do indeed have that desire...and I KNOW I'm saved. It's good to hear someone checking that out!

Talking about how it takes work in a marriage...that's one thing I've been thinking about a lot...our love relationship with Christ. We're not yet married to Him, but are in a kind of "betrothal", a waiting period...and many waters won't quench love, so I don't see why we ever let other things get in the way of our love for HIM. When you think of a lover, she constantly wonders what HE would think, what HE would do, and she can't forget HIM for a moment! I understand the hymn-writer's longing, "This is my earnest prayer, More love O Christ to Thee!"

Thanks again for your comments,
savedtoserve

2011/12/20 20:19Profile

Re:

"If you do not have a desire for holiness then you need to get saved, because you aren't."

Now look what you started :-) lol

The desire for holiness is in every believer even though he may not know it.

There are a good amount of believers that look at holiness as being the same as being close to God, for God is holy. Apart from God, holiness is religion disguised and that is what you were talking about being accused of as a legalist. But I know that your not a legalist far from it and thank God for that.

There are a lot more other believers who are genuine in their conversion but they see themselves as completely unworthy to be holy and you know that is just ignorance talking because of wrong thinking and wrong teaching. Once they understand that holiness is vital to having a right relationship with God, they will turn readily toward it. I know I was one of those ignorant folk.

I've come to understand holiness as becoming closer to God. When a man sets himself to seek God almighty and to want Him more than anything else, his desires change. He is careful not to put any evil thing before his eyes, he is careful not to grieve the holy Spirit. In fact, since he is being diligent that way, God helps him make right choices in maintaining that relationship. I know that to be true. It's only when we press to have something that is going to be harmful to that relationship that brings trouble, and it's not easy to get that relationship back the way it once was. It's not impossible, it's just harder to attain.

It's the old old story, the woman loses the silver coin and she searches and searches until she finds it and rejoices and calls all her friends. We've known this story to be that of a lost sinner, but it can also be used as a lost joy, a lost relationship that we once had with God and with careful diligence and heartfelt searches, scouring every corner of our lives finding that time that we once gave to our Lord and Saviour.

2011/12/20 21:29
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

QUOTE:
".our love relationship with Christ. We're not yet married to Him, but are in a kind of "betrothal", a waiting period...and many waters won't quench love, so I don't see why we ever let other things get in the way of our love for HIM. When you think of a lover, she constantly wonders what HE would think, what HE would do, and she can't forget HIM for a moment! I understand the hymn-writer's longing, "This is my earnest prayer, More love O Christ to Thee!"

I think you got it down right, Alaina.

In my walk with the LORD I will ask him to help me recognize his voice when He speaks. A body can read all the scriptures you want but unless the heart is committed to obedience and love for the Master, it will avail you nothing except give you more ammunition to argue with people.

Asking the LORD to teach you to recognize His voice is a fascinating journey...there will be failures but if you have a teachable heart, you will learn from them. (These failures differ from overt sins like lying, stealing, etc.)

An example will be to ask the LORD before you go shopping to direct your purchases, telling Him what you need/want and then see Him direct you then listen to the hunches within - they can get unusual... Gets interesting, I promise.

(BTW, the Holy Spirit will not lead you to violate the WORD of God...just thought I would mention this although I am sure you already know this.)

God bless...

2011/12/21 9:56Profile
dietolive

Quote:
"When every day throws new curveballs at you and the going gets tough...what keeps you growing and glowing? I realize that the Christian life is not all about feelings, but I'm talking about more than feelings here."

1. Sufficient rest: This gives me a clearer mind.

2. Moderation in eating: Staying away from too many carbs and sweets. Over-indulging the desires of the flesh in one area weakens the will in all areas.

3. Fasting: The weekly fast resets the desires of the flesh. We are not our own. I don't even ultimately own my own body.

4. Putting good things into my mind, which leaves less room for evil: Thinking on the Lord. Reading His word, Studying His truth. Remembering in particular what the Lord promises:

"...observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I AM WITH YOU ALWAY, EVEN UNTO THE END OF THE WORLD." Matthew 28:20

5. Studying the world as it really is: Taking the time to understand the total wicked reality of the present world-system, and accepting it for what it really is, reminds me that I am on a mission from Heaven in a hostile land. The "world system" is not my friend.

6. Witnessing Christ to others: Raising the standard of Christ high; engaging in the spiritual battle in public. When people know where I stand and Who I stand for, they expect a GREAT DEAL from me, so I start over again at number 1.

Be well.
Doug :O)

2011/12/21 10:32Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy