SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : seeking to understand

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
MaryJane

seeking to understand

I was sharing with someone about a fear I was struggle with and they responded by saying that "we can be sure every single thing that comes our way is sovereign."

I think I understand what is being said by that quote but I would like to know others thoughts if anyone feels led to share.

God Bless
maryjane

2011/12/15 10:04Profile
dietolive

Re: seeking to understand

Dear Sister in the Lord,

Be encouraged...

From Job 1:8-12, we can infer that the believer has a hedge of protection that God will not allow to be breached, unless He specifically authorizes it:

"And the LORD said unto Satan, Hast thou considered my servant Job, that there is none like him in the earth, a perfect and an upright man, one that feareth God, and escheweth evil?

Then Satan answered the LORD, and said, Doth Job fear God for nought?

Hast not thou made an hedge about him, and about his house, and about all that he hath on every side? thou hast blessed the work of his hands, and his substance is increased in the land.

But put forth thine hand now, and touch all that he hath, and he will curse thee to thy face.

And the LORD said unto Satan, Behold, all that he hath is in thy power; only upon himself put not forth thine hand. So Satan went forth from the presence of the LORD." Job 1:8-12

Of course, Romans 8:28 specifically states that God is working in all of life’s circumstances for our good (an insight into “why” God removed the hedge from Job above...)

“And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.” Romans 8:28

And I Corinthians 10:13 specifically states that all of the “testings” that come our way are yet tempered by God’s sovereign wisdom; a divine wisdom that will NEVER allow anything to come that would be too difficult for us to make it through:

“There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it." I Corinthians 10:13

In the midst of the trial, we can look with faith to Isaiah 43:1-2,

“When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow thee: when thou walkest through the fire, thou shalt not be burned; neither shall the flame kindle upon thee.

For I AM THE LORD thy GOD, the HOLY ONE of ISRAEL, thy Saviour...”
Isaiah 43:2-3

Be well in the Blessed Saviour Ma'am.
Doug

2011/12/15 10:39Profile

Re:

Quite simply, fear is our concern for the unknown. But nothing is unknown to God, and if you are a child of His then everything that comes into our lives... including things that result from our own sin... will be used by God to complete the good work that He has begun in you.

I'm still looking for a permanent job after 6 months, and I am very concerned about the future, and at times fear does enter into the equation. But in my heart I know the Lord is taking me and my family thru this time for the express purpose of making me (us) more and more like His Son. What is there to fear? 40 or 50 years from now I will be with the Lord in eternity anyway... what is there to fear?

Thats what is meant by God's sovereignty and providence in our lives.

Look at Joseph in Genesis. Sold into slavery, thrown in jail after being wrongly accused... and all teh while God was orchestrating his life to be a blessing to his own family, and eventually to the world thru Joseph's descendent: Jesus Christ.

I dont know about you but I have never been thrown into a pit by my own family. Never been thrown in jail accused of something I did not do...

Krispy

2011/12/15 10:50
MaryJane

Re:

Thank you for your responses. Krispy I have been
Praying for you and your family. You are so right
God care in my life is always constant. What is there
To fear.... It is a good thing that I do not know the future
If I did I would be tempted to be in control
Of my life instead of trusting in the Lord. I am
now so very sorry for the selfishness I was in
Before. Father please forgive me. Thank you
For using these brothers to shine your truth
On my very limited understanding. Amen.

Maryjane

2011/12/15 11:10Profile

Re:

Praise the Lord, MJ...

It is a struggle, I surely sympathize!

Krispy

2011/12/15 12:35
dietolive

Re: MaryJane

Oh, God bless you Ma'am...

In such times like these, we can at least look to the love of Jesus and then look around to love one another...

Let's hold each other up, and rest in the comfort of the promises of our Good and Merciful God:

"For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope." Romans 15:4

Patience + Comfort = Hope

In the midst of all that is going on in this crazy world, let's be still, and "know that HE is GOD."

Be well today,
Doug

2011/12/15 13:13Profile

Re:

Doug is my buddy...

Krispy

2011/12/15 14:35
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re: seeking to understand

maryjane: I know that there are those who do believe that everything that does/does not happen is so because of the sovereign will of God. I do not believe that is true. Here are a few scriptures that help demonstrate why I believe this statement to be false.

Scripture says that God is not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance. There are those who by their own choice do not come to repentance and perish.

Scripture says that when the word of God is planted in our heart that persecution comes for the word's sake. The purpose of this persecution is that by the by we will be offended and back off of our faith in the word. Since it is not God's will that we be offended at the word and since the persecution comes to combat the word of God then we can rest assured that God did not send / allow the persecution. The same could be said of the previous type of soil where we find a person reading and not understanding. Then Satan comes to steal away what little understanding and faith we have in the word that we don't well understand. Obviously God's will is not to have stolen from us His word that He is trying to plant in us.

But this does not mean that God does not will and or allow us to go through things sometimes. In Hebrews we find that many lived victorious lives, but many gave their lives. I am not sure if I believe that God willed for them to give their lives, but He sure allowed them to be martyred.

In other words, to say, "We can be sure to say every single thing that comes our way is sovereign.", simply does not stand careful scriptural scrutiny. But to say the opposite, "Nothing that comes our way is sovereign.", would be another ditch.

The key I think is to get into the word and find out what it is that God controls and what it is that He has left up to us and or our own choices to surrender and submit to Him or to the enemy. Satan fights against us every day. It is not God in His sovereignty that sends those attacks. Satan sends them. However God has made a way that we can, through Him, be an overcomer even in the midst of those attacks.

Hope that perspective helps.

2011/12/15 15:45Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy