SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : WHO CAN BE WORSHIPPED?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
GaryJr

University Park PA

Re: WHO CAN BE WORSHIPPED?

The only person who can be truly worshipped, I believe, is Jesus Christ, God the Father, and God the Holy Spirit alone and nobody else. If we worship anybody or anything else other than Jesus Christ, we have idols in our life and are worshipping them and not the One and True God. In Exodus, we are told not have any other graven image before God.

2011/12/14 15:27Profile
Miccah

Wisconsin

Re:

GaryJr. First off, Hello. :-)

I am wondering how you can call worship to the Father (God) or the Holy Spirit (God) idol worship?

Do you subscribe to the "Jesus only" crowd?

Thanks!

2011/12/14 15:32Profile
GaryJr

University Park PA

Re:

I'm not saying that. What I'm saying is anything else other than God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit worshipped is an idol. Sorry about not being clear on that.

2011/12/14 15:36Profile
Miccah

Wisconsin

Re:

No problem my friend. Be blessed.

2011/12/14 15:47Profile
Solomon101

America's Flyover Country

Re:

My original question was basically - should we directly worship The Holy Spirit?

A few thoughts and question to help spur the discussion along-

By "worship" I am speaking directly to ascribing praise and worship. Examples might be corporately singing hymns TO (not just about) and exalting Him. Prayer sent toward and spoken directly TO The Holy Spirit.

It is clear that very, very few... as in virtually zero...churches engage in the direct worship of The Holy Spirit.

Why ? Is it "wrong"? Does scripture say not to do it?

Is it "correct" but we have largely been ignorant of the fact that we should?

Is it because we can so easily "visualize" Jesus because of His works on earth... and The Father because we have all seen Fathers and can gain at least some clarity in our minds about what that is.... but the Holy Spirit clearly confounds many peoples thinking. Perhaps most simply can not get a grip on worshipping one they don't really "get"?

What about this - when we read in Revelation 22:8-9 , " I, John, am the one who heard and saw these things. And when I had heard and seen them, I fell down to worship at the feet of the angel who had been showing them to me. 9 But he said to me, “Don’t do that! I am a fellow servant with you and with your fellow prophets and with all who keep the words of this scroll. WORSHIP GOD!
NIV, Caps mine

What do you make of that? WHO EXACTLY did the angel mean for John to worship. Your first initial response to that actually reveals a great deal about your belief in God. Do you first envision The Father? Jesus? The Holy Spirit? Did you immediately think that the angel meant for John to worship the 3 in 1

VERY FEW think of The Holy Spirit in that, or similar verses. WHY? Because He is largely ignored in our churches it seems.

What about this....from the Doxology...

Praise God, from Whom all blessings flow;
Praise Him, all creatures here below;
Praise Him above, ye heavenly host;
Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.

If a person holds to the idea that we should not worship the Holy Spirit should that line about..praise the Holy Ghost be thrown out?

Or on the other hand... in the Doxology we worship the triune Godhead. However, we also have myriads of songs praising and worshipping the Father and Son individually....as we should. However, should we have a body of worship material that worships and praises the Holy Spirit on the same individual level as The Father and Son? If not..specifically why not.

Or perhaps, should we recognize that when the scripture says to "Praise God" it is emphatically a command to worship the Holy Spirit as well as The Father and Son.

Take a good long look at the hymnal you use, or the song list if your fellowship uses all choruses. How many actually WORSHIP the Holy Spirit. No, not just have a line of doctrine ABOUT Him.. but actually praise Him directly. I am sure there are many that praise Jesus, and the Father...but The Holy Spirit seems virtually ignored in terms of offered praise.

Another round of thoughts...if The Holy Spirit is God and to be worshipped as such... and if we have been negligent on this front... then what might we expect to be the result of a people who begin to ascribe glory, honor, praise, open worship and adoration to The Holy Spirit in exactly the same measure as is given to the rest of the Godhead?

What do you think friends. I have found this a wonderful growth period for me over the last year or so as I have personally dug into this issue with some Godly friends that are excellent exegetes of The Word.

What are you thoughts at this point?

I will ask some further questions that have been helpful for us after these have had a chance to be mulled upon for a bit.

2011/12/14 17:08Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy