SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : More Religion, but Not the Old-Time Kind

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 More Religion, but Not the Old-Time Kind

[img]https://www.sermonindex.net/images/forum/2004/may/featured_news.gif[/img]

ALMOST anywhere you look around the world, with the glaring exception of Western Europe, religion is now a rising force. Former Communist countries are humming with mosque builders, Christian missionaries and freelance spiritual entrepreneurs of every possible persuasion. In China, underground "house churches" are proliferating so quickly that neither the authorities nor Christian leaders can keep reliable count. In much of South and Central America, exuberant Pentecostal churches, where worshipers catch the Holy Spirit and speak in tongues, continue to spread, challenging the Roman Catholic tradition. And in the United States, religious conservatives, triumphant over their role in the re-election of President Bush, are increasingly asserting their power in politics, the media and culture.

But some religion experts say that while it is clear that religiosity is on the rise, it is not at all clear that fundamentalism is. Indeed, there may be a rising backlash against violent fundamentalism of any faith.

The world's fastest growing religion is not any type of fundamentalism, but the Pentecostal wing of Christianity. While Christian fundamentalists are focused on doctrine and the inerrancy of Scripture, , what is most important for Pentecostals is what they call "spirit-filled" worship, including speaking in tongues and miracle healing. Brazil, where American missionaries planted Pentecostalism in the early 20th century, now has a congregation with its owns TV station, soccer team and political party.

entire article:
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/09/weekinreview/09good.html?ex=1105938000&en=793834a59349bf4f&ei=5006&partner=ALTAVISTA1

2005/1/9 22:51Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re: More Religion, but Not the Old-Time Kind

The articel has a paragraph which reads

Quote:
"If I were to buy stock in global Christianity, I would buy it in Pentecostalism," said Martin E. Marty, professor emeritus of the history of Christianity at the University of Chicago Divinity School and a coauthor of a study of fundamentalist movements. "I would not buy it in fundamentalism."

I wonder how much stock he would have bought in a sealed tomb holding the body of a discredited young rabbi?

2005/1/10 3:32Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

Know very little of the stock market, but there does seem to be a parallel in the 'penny stocks' and more long term investments. Guess it largely depends on the 'company' you are investing in.

2005/1/10 8:06Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy