SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Rom 10 Confession

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
rvidair

Rom 10 Confession

Paul Washer states that the context of Rom 10 "confess with you mouth that Jesus is lord" refers to Roman soldiers killing Christians for not stating that "Caesar is Lord" and being willing to die by confessing that "Jesus is Lord". I would greatly appreciate more evidence and more historical truth backing this argument. Thank you.

2011/12/2 15:05Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re: Rom 10 Confession

I think the historical context of the timing of Paul's letter might support that idea, but it seems the scriptural context does not at all support that interpretation, and in fact in my opinion rules it out entirely. Verse 6-13 deals with the contrast of righteousness by faith and that which is of the law. The law had to do with works. Faith does not try to work hard to reach up to bring Christ down nor to reach down and bring Christ up. Righteousness by faith believes in the Word and confesses that belief. I believe then that verse 10 is the best commentary to tell you how verse 9 should be interpreted. It is a confession unto righteousness by faith, which is the main topic of the entirety of the book of Romans.

2011/12/2 16:15Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

Good words Travis;

If I speak blasphemy I am a blasphemer. If I speak unbelief, I am an unbeliver. If I speak confessing Jesus Christ is the Son of God, I am a believer and son of God, by rebirth and that is what is going into my heart and coming our of my mouth.

In Christ: Phillip

2011/12/2 19:04Profile
EvangelTam

Re:

Hey I beleive that this is true factually but I also beleive that it is the WOrd of God so that its implications is NOT only for the Roman believers at that time but for all Christians through all generations.

That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For with the heart one believes and is justified, and with the mouth one confesses and is saved. Romans 10:9-10

The verse states that you must beleive with your HEART and confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord

This is a two fold condition in order to be saved

That means if you confess with your mouth that He is Lord but don't believe it in your heart than it doesn't work.

Or that if you "believe" in your heart but dont confess with your mouth than it doesn't work either.

I would say that if one really did beleive in his heart
then saying Jesus is Lord and living it would not be an issue. To make it more relevant to the topic of this posting only those Romans who truly believed in their heart would give that confession in front of Caesar.

We should as Christians today take it with the same amount of seriousness!

2011/12/2 19:26Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

EvangelTam

I think you are right. I have been a Christian since I was eight years old and so these truths are something that I think sometimes we can quote and acknowledge without really understanding the weightiness and significance of the truth. "You mean I don't have to "do" anything to be born again? You mean if I believe in my heart that God raised Jesus from the dead, if I truly believe that a price was paid for my sin so that I can be righteous outside of my own works, and if I confess with my mouth that I am making Jesus my Lord, that I will be saved and right in the eyes of God?" That almost seems too good to be true. It almost seems impossible, yet it is the truth. Being born again at eight I sometimes did not appreciate my own salvation. Scripture says he who is forgiven much loves much. It seems the older I get the more I realize how much I have been forgive and my love grows more and more. I praise God for His often unfathomable gift of salvation.

2011/12/2 19:36Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

Amen Travis,

I did not do anything to be born of my mother and father. God our Father does not consult with us to give us spiritual re-birth either or He would not be Father and we would not be sons.

2011/12/5 17:32Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy