SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : TURNING THE OTHER CHEEK

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Joyful_Heart

TURNING THE OTHER CHEEK

TURNING THE OTHER CHEEK

An Open Doors colleague shares the following incident from an SSTS seminar in Indonesia:

I remember standing in front of nearly 800 pastors on the island of Timor facing a serious dilemma. Most of the pastors were victims of attacks by Muslims on the island of Ambon. They had lost homes, churches and even family members during these attacks. They were hurt, devastated and needed answers to the challenges they faced. As soon as I started preaching, one pastor stood up and interrupted me;
“Must we accept the persecution from the Muslims or must we retaliate? We are tired of forgiving just to be attacked again. We believe it is time to defend the honor of God and retaliate. What must we do?”

Open Doors Ministry

I understood perfectly the challenges. I had met those who were attacked and I have seen the scars on the bodies of those who simply accepted it. I understood there was no easy answer.

Then another pastor interrupted; “No, pastor, tell this brother he is wrong. The Bible tells us to accept our suffering. We will dishonor God if we retaliate. Seventy times seven we need to forgive. Isn’t this true?”

I looked at the pastors and replied, “The Bible is clear. You MUST retaliate!” There was silence. I sensed the division. I could see the smiles on the faces of those who agreed and saw those who disagreed getting ready to leave the hall.

“Wait, brothers!” I intervened. “Before you leave, let me finish my sentence. Luke 6 teaches us clearly to retaliate, but in doing so, we need to choose our weapons. When someone curses you, you don’t just accept it. You retaliate by blessing him. When someone mistreats you and persecute you, you don’t just accept it. You retaliate by praying for him. When someone takes your cloak you retaliate by giving your undercoat. When someone slaps you in the face, don’t stand for it. Retaliate! Turn your other cheek.”

The burden of just accepting suffering was broken. They were satisfied.

RESPONSE
Today I will retaliate against attacks upon me using the spiritual weapons of Jesus.

PRAYER
Lord, may I always remember how You want me to respond when others treat me badly.

2011/12/2 13:01Profile
live4jc

Re: TURNING THE OTHER CHEEK

“Wait, brothers!” I intervened. “Before you leave, let me finish my sentence. Luke 6 teaches us clearly to retaliate, but in doing so, we need to choose our weapons. When someone curses you, you don’t just accept it. You retaliate by blessing him. When someone mistreats you and persecute you, you don’t just accept it. You retaliate by praying for him. When someone takes your cloak you retaliate by giving your undercoat. When someone slaps you in the face, don’t stand for it. Retaliate! Turn your other cheek.”

What a blessing that was, sister!

Romans 12:21
"Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good."

In Jesus,
John

2011/12/2 20:28Profile
sonsigns

Brumley Missouri

Re: TURNING THE OTHER CHEEK

Very good Joyful_heart, Very good.

Exactly how many Christians will actually do this, the Lord knows. I use to take it, pray under my breath and bless those that curse me. Then I would chew on the situation until I ended up confronting the person that done me wrong and really let them have it. (Not Psychical)

After many years of prayer, Bible study and growing in the Lord I have more tact and still bless those that curse me. The difference between then and now is I believe I handle the situations with love.

Thanks for this post:)

2011/12/2 22:42Profile
Onesetfree

Canada

Re:

I am very blessed to have read this tonight. My spirit has been grieved over many things lately. I will print this and tuck it into my bible....good post!

2011/12/8 21:11Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy