SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Horse Slaughter is legal again

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Lysa

East TN for now!

Horse Slaughter is legal again

(1) Missouri's new legislation would again make horse slaughter legal within the United States. The bill proposes for slaughterhouses to pay for meat inspectors at the state level, circumventing the federal law.

Why does Missouri want to slaughter horses? Because it is lucrative to sell overseas. Horse meat is eaten in several European countries and in Asia, although Italy is now considering banning it. Horse slaughter plants are legal again in the United States. Restrictions on horse meat processing for human consumption have been lifted.

(2) In a bipartisan effort, the House of Representatives and the United States Senate approved the Conference Committee report on spending bill H2112, which among other things, funds the United States Department of Agriculture. On November 18th, as the country was celebrating Thanksgiving, President Obama signed a law, allowing Americans to kill and eat horses. Essentially, one turkey was pardoned in the presence of worldwide media while in the shadows, buried under pages of fiscal regulation, millions of horses were sentenced to death.

(3) If you’re ready to add horse to your eating habits, then you’re in luck thanks to President Obama who has legalized horse slaughter for human consumption, Technorati has reported.

Once again, restrictions on horse slaughter plants and horse meat processing have been lifted in the United States.

The House of Representatives and the United States Senate approved the Conference Committee report on spending bill H2112, which funds the United States Department of Agriculture, on November 18. Before the Thanksgiving holiday, President Obama signed this law allowing Americans to kill and eat horses.

This “little” old law makes Mr. Obama’s pardoning of two turkeys seem laughable. The turkey story was reported on every media station possible, while the approval of horse killings seemed to be swept under the rug.

Previously, the slaughtering of horses was prohibited in the United States, because the finances needed for inspections of horses in transit and at slaughter houses wasn’t there. This all meant horse meat could not be sold for eating.

The House and the Senate maintained two different versions of the bill, with the House retaining the de-funding language, while the Senate’s did not. Even more so, the conference committee in charge of unifying the two versions decided not to and now look at the result.

According to Wyoming state representative Sue Wallis, and her pro-slaughter group, anywhere between 120,000 and 200,000 horses will be killed for consumption per year. In addition, Oregon, Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, Nebraska, North Dakota, Georgia and Missouri are all opting to open slaughter plants!

Even though 70 percent of Americans oppose horse slaughter, President Obama signed this bill. He even made a campaign promise to permanently ban horse slaughter and the export of horses for human consumption.

Now it is the taxpayers’ duty to aid in this animal cruelty. What do you think of President Obama approving this new law?

(1)
http://news.change.org/stories/bill-to-legalize-horse-meat-advances

(2)
http://technorati.com/lifestyle/article/obama-legalizes-horse-slaughter-for-human/#ixzz1fCWFNvtF

(3)
http://www.ecorazzi.com/2011/11/29/horse-slaughter-for-human-consumption-now-legal-thanks-to-president-obama/

2011/11/30 10:00Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: Horse Slaughter is legal again

QUOTE:
"What do you think of President Obama approving this new law?"

Fine with me. I thought horses were slaughtered for meat, but for animal consumption - like cat or dog food. Hey, it beats killing a horse and then burying the carcass or taking it to a hazardous landfill!

There is nothing sinful about eating horse meat. The reluctance comes when you have befriended the animal and to you is is like eating a friend, something similar to cannibalism but it ain't.

When our children were young, my husband got the idea that we need to raise rabbits for meat. He got some and they multiplied wonderfully and when they got to size, he dressed them. Our children were totally mortified! They refused to eat the meat. Now, here I had a lot of rabbit meat in the freezer and what will I do with it? I did cook it and took it to fellowship meals without telling folks what it was...

The problem was the animal was cute and they loved it as a pet and you do not eat pets. Similar situation exists with the human consumption of cats and dogs. I could not do it for this very reason, but it is no sin to eat cats, dogs, horses or rattlesnakes. (Hey! Krispy - ya ever eat rattlers? Mountaineers will eat anything, won't they? like 'possum and...road kill? lol)

My understanding...

2011/11/30 10:56Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re:

I understand the cuteness of the animal! When I was in Russia, horse meat was a staple but I didn't eat it, not b/c I turned it down but God bless them, they didn't serve it to us!

I provided all the links b/c in the different articles they speak of $$$$ and how other countries pay a LOT of money for horse meat and I think that is why he legalized it, not for us to eat it necessarily! Money is usually behind everything.

God bless,
Lisa

2011/11/30 12:05Profile

Re:

I can understand why he approved it. These are tough times and anything that can generate business will not be frowned on. I can't imagine eating a horse but if I was starving to death, I'd have a piece of ole Trigger or Black Beauty.

I personally think the bill is ill advised because when the oil runs out, we'll need horses to cart us around in.

I mean when you think about it, it's legal to serve Dog, and Rat and Snake on the menus of Asian countries. That's because these place were at one point eating them to survive. During the great depression, people were catching pigeons and seagulls to eat. But we are not desperate yet to turn to horse meat, but I think it's all about doing business and trying to regenerate the U.S. markets, "Made In America".

2011/11/30 13:14

Re:

Pass the BBQ sauce...

Krispy

2011/11/30 14:42

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy