Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : books and sermons on the attributes of God

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
Yeshuasboy

Northern Rockies, BC, Canada

books and sermons on the attributes of God

Dear friends, I wish to ask the membership here a precious question - where can I find the best audio sermons, and the best books on the attributes and characteristics of God? What are the best ones you have either read or listened to that have plunged your soul into deeper depths of revelation, repentance and worship? Thankyou for your precious God-given time.

2011/11/24 14:39Profile
Heydave

Hampshire, UK

Re: books and sermons on the attributes of God

Hi There,

the well known ones are by A W Tozer. Books are easy to find on Amazon. Sermons probably on here or elsewhere.

Tozer's speciality, so very good.

2011/11/24 15:47Profile

Re: The Best Book There Is.

Brother not trying to be funny but the best book there is on the attributes of God is the one God wrote. It is the Bible. Certainly you can partake of 66 divine books of this marvelous masteroeice and be thrilled and enriched in your eternal soul.

Why read what men have to say about God's richness. All they are sharing is what God has said about himself in his own word. My goodness. Go to the Holy Book itself. Let his Spirit delight and amaze you by his own self. Let him take you into his own word and reveal his own nature to you. Believe me. When his Spirit does this even Pink and Tozer pale in comparison.

I used to have a library of the greats. I even had Stephen Charnocks Existance and Attributes of God. Never read it. But in pride it looked good on my shelf. God brought me to my senses. I gave the library up. Now I have one book that I read and listen to. The Bibke. Over the years the word grows ever more precious to me.

Brother immerse yourself in the Book of all books. Immerse yourself in the Bible. Believe me, Pink and Tozer will never give you what God's word can. Actually I am sure these departed precious saints would say. Read the Bible.

I leave you with this quote from John Bunyon regarding his own love for the word. "Pray and read and read and pray. For a ittle from God is better than a whole lot from men."

Blaine Scogin

2011/11/24 16:15
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Ever read "Knowing God" by J.I. Packer? This book has been in print many years.

Recommending it by means implies endorsement of his positions on some other political and social issues. But like all books you have to read it with an eye on the WORD and be aware IT has the finally authority in matters of doctrine and life.

2011/11/24 16:18Profile
Elibeth

Yeshuasboy,

Again I must ,so much, agree with Martry ( Blaine ).

The Lord is the Great teacher...counseler.

It is so Glorious when He teaches us through His Spirit.

And when He teaches,..no one can take that away from us.

I am also thinking of Mary, ..sat the feet of Jesus to learn of Him.
And what He was teaching,would never be taken away from her.
When He teaches us ,we confirm it by the WORD,and know it is so.
With all lovingness,
Elizabeth

2011/11/24 18:05Profile
Elibeth

Yeshuasboy,

Again I must ,so much, agree with Martry ( Blaine ).

The Lord is the Great teacher...counseler.

It is so Glorious when He teaches us through His Spirit.

And when He teaches,..no one can take that away from us.

I am also thinking of Mary, ..sat the feet of Jesus to learn of Him.
And what He was teaching,would never be taken away from her.
When He teaches us ,we confirm it by the WORD,and know it is so.
With all lovingness,
Elizabeth

2011/11/24 18:05Profile
Yeshuasboy

Re:

Thanks everyone. I know what you're saying Blaine, and I don't take offense but agree wholeheartedly. I do, however, like a good read, and read godly books, and I have learned from experienece that godly books are also good for the soul, and at times have a meat in them for due season. As far as sermons go, I like to listen to them at work (because I'm able and allowed) and am looking for more of ones that just share whom God is for personal and deeper revelation. Thanks too for the puritan Stephen C recommendation as well. Any chance that someone would dare answer the second part of my original question - I'm also looking for personal testimony as to what that or those books or sermons have done for you. Thankyou again.

2011/11/24 18:33Profile
Yeshuasboy

Re:

Oh, and Ginny I'm not endorsing anybody, if that's what you meant, and do check with the Word when redflags are drawn. Thanks for the cautionary feedback though. Fact is is that godly books have been written by godly men for godly purposes, and for me to read them, or enquire about them is a good thing if the motive is pure. For me, a good godly book is a beautiful thing - I read books from Baxter, Bunyun, Tozer, Flavel, Sibbes, William Law, etc, etc, and wish to look into having a few that speak more on God Himself. Thanks again.

2011/11/24 18:44Profile
UntoBabes

Oregon

Re:

" The existence and attributes of God" by Stephen Charnock.

2011/11/24 21:36Profile

Re: Untobabes

Hey sister..That Charnock book is a light read is it not?

Blaine

2011/11/24 21:57

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy