SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : 'Avalanche of images’ sexualising our kids

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 'Avalanche of images’ sexualising our kids

The “liberal dogma of the past” has left us with the “moral abyss of the present”, a leading head teacher has said, as she hit out at the sexualisation of children.
Dr Helen Wright, President of the Girls’ Schools Association (GSA), warned of “an avalanche of images and malign influences” which is overwhelming young people.

And she cautioned that parents who “no longer know right from wrong” are “unwittingly ‘indulging’” their children with make-up and provocative clothing.

read more: http://www.christian.org.uk/news/top-head-avalanche-of-images-sexualising-our-kids/

2011/11/24 13:35Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: 'Avalanche of images’ sexualising our kids

This article reminded me of an old, old piece I read many many years ago. Fortunately, I found it posted on the web. Christians could add more to it, but the concern for children was just as real back then as it is now, except I firmly believe too many parents have no clue of what is right and wrong and it is in this vacuum the children are raised.

ginnyrose

Don't Blame the Children

We read in the paper and hear on the air of killing and stealing and crime everywhere.

We sigh and say as we notice the trend, "This young generation, where will it end?"

But can we be sure that it's their fault alone, that maybe a part of it could be our own?

Are we less guilty who place in their way, too many things that lead them astray?

Too much money to spend, too much idle time, too many movies of passion and crime.

Too many books not fit to be read, too much of evil in what they hear said.

Too many children encouraged to roam by too many parents who won't stay at home.

Kids don't make the movies, they don't write the books that paint "cool" pictures of gangsters and crooks.

Delinquent teenagers — oh, how we condemn the sins of the nation and blame it on them.

In so many cases, it's sad but it's true; the title "delinquent" fits some older folks too.

More thoughts about children "¦

The Bible has some pretty stern words for those who abandon, abuse, molest and harm the children. Now the cogwheels slip and spurt in anger and must be re-set. The following, excerpted from an unknown author, puts them back in synchronization:

What Shall We Give

the Children

Our children will travel roads we never thought of, navigate strange seas, cross unimaginable boundaries and glimpse horizons beyond our power to visualize. What can we give them to take along?

Attention — for one day it will be too late to listen.

A sense of value — the place of the individual in the scheme of things with all that accrues such as self-reliance, courage, convictions, self-respect and respect for others.

Discipline — for if we falter in discipline, life will do it for us.

The will to work.

The ability to share.

The love of justice — it is the bulwark against violence and oppression.

The passion for truth.

The power of faith.

The knowledge of being loved.

The awareness of the open sky, the brown earth, the golden sand, the blue water, the stars in their courses. Bird songs, butterflies, clouds and rainbows, sunlight, moonlight, firelight. A large hand reaching down to hold a small hand, impromptu praise, an unexpected kiss, long days to be happy in, nights without fear, the memory of a good home.

2011/11/24 16:09Profile
Yeshuasboy

Northern Rockies, BC, Canada

Re:

I think it was Paul Washer who said in one of his "dating" seminars that the parents should "protect their child's innocence." And this is common-sense brother, but oh, how uncommon it is. The undiscerning don't fully comprehend their deceitful enemies - the world, the flesh, and the devil. How tragic it is that images pressed upon and fully fixed in the mind can follow us into eternity, into hell, where all we will do is remember these tormenting pictures one after another, and how we sold our own souls for slop.

2011/11/24 19:30Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

After posting this I knew there was another version so did more checking on the web and here it is:

Don't Blame the Children

by Opal Sink

We read in the papers and hear on the air

of killing and stealing and crimes everywhere.

We sigh and we say as we notice the trend

"This young generation, where will it end?"

But can we be sure it is their fault alone

that maybe a part of it isn't our own?

Are we less guilty who place in their way

so many things that lead them astray?

Too much money to spend, too much idle time,

Too many movies of passion and crime.

Too many books not fit to be read,

Nobody home when it's time for the bed.

Too many children encouraged to roam

by too many parents who won't stay at home.

Kids don't make the movies, they don't write the books,

that paint gay pictures of gangsters and crooks.

They don't make the liquor, they don't run the bars,

they don't make the law, they don't buy the cars.

They don't peddle the drugs that addle the brain,

that's all done by older folks greedy for gain.

Delinquent teenagers, oh how we condemn them!

The sins of the nation, we blame all on them.

The laws of the blameless-the Savior made known,

who is there among us to cast the first stone?

For, in so many cases, it's sad but its true,

the title "delinquent" fits older folks too.

2011/11/24 19:36Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re: 'Avalanche of images’ sexualising our kids

My wife and I see one to two movies a year. This year we went to see the Muppet movie. After the movie was over I commented to my wife that I had noticed something in the previews before the movie that had really disturbed me. All of the previews were for movies that were being marketed to children and billed as suitable for children to see. In all of the preview but one the female character was portrayed in a sexual manner either in dress, attitude of the female herself, or the attitude of the males toward the female. The message is being very clearly delivered to our children. Being a teacher in a public high school I see daily the effects of this teaching. We have a very strict dress code at the high school where I teach, but you can still tell that the kids are learning their lesson well. It is sad and it is a sign of our times. I think it is important that we guard the hearts of our children. I am a firm advocate of very limited and carefully guarded viewing of TV or movies for children. Always preview and always ask yourself what messages might my child be getting from this. Entertainment in general is not goof for the children. They need to be taught to be creative and productive and enjoy those pursuits. My wife and I have not watched TV in over five years now and after sitting through one movie and watching one movie on the computer together the other evening I am frankly bored with movies for a while. I would much rather be living real life and being productive for the Kingdom. Just some thoughts.

2011/11/25 7:23Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

There is another tragedy infecting modern children and that is ignorance in their use of simple tools. I credit this ignorance to time spent in front of the tv.

A couple years ago at VBS during craft time, I gave the girls a scissors to cut...There were those among this group of teens who did not know how to use a scissors! They were real awkward in its use. I knew how to use a scissors before I ever went to school!

Two weeks ago at Kidz Klubs my girls got to asking me a few questions and in the process of visiting I told them we do not have a tv. They exploded, literally, so much the organizers came in to quiet them down! They said they have never heard of it before, said they watch it all day long...Now, these are 10-12 year old girls.

I hold the parents responsible for this lack. Most are from a single parent home, on the public dole. They know how to dance, wiggle their bodies sensually according to images viewed on the tube. They are not taught to create at all. The job in front of us is so overwhelming simply because the mother is undisciplined herself. Oh, sure, she may be religious, BUT....

Sometimes I wonder if we are not just spinning our wheels and getting nowhere.

If you grew up in a culture that taught you basic skills in work, to be creative, thank the LORD! This is a wonderful blessing unrecognized and unappreciated by many.

2011/11/25 9:05Profile
Yeshuasboy

Northern Rockies, BC, Canada

Re:

I don't blame those that don't know what they're doing. America and Canada is backsliding with more access to the Light than any other continent on this Earth. And Light comes from God and the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I don't see Christ in barely any church members in the meeting places I've been to, and if I don't see it in the meeting houses of "God's" people, I don't expect those members to show forth His glory during the week. No, the "church" is in ruins, meaning the people that attend "God's" house on Sundays... Probably 95% plus of its members. Many living on this continent get their guidance from television, magazines, secular professionals, etc, and I've never heard one say anything like, "you have to keep your eyes from beholding vanity", or that "God gave you your eyes to behold Him"... Nay,... And honestly, I don't even hear pastors talk about such things, let alone "church" members. I can blame others though, or I can blame myself, for the Lord is not to blame, nor people darkened in their understanding by the deceitfulness of sin. One can go into a "church" and come out more deceived than when they first went in. I see this though too - God is working behind the scenes, raising up sinners that will be ablaze with the likeness of Christ, putting many "religious" folk to shame, who have a form of godliness, but deny the power thereof. People you would never think could be used by God... God is working in them - the truly broken, the truly contrite, that couldn't care less what man thinks of them, because they already know what it's like to lose everything. God is moving in those despised by the world, and when they arise, the "religious" will despise them too. Let us be careful. May there be fruit on my branch that they, the despised, may pick. Praise the Lord, that when I think I'm humble... Wham! Another test comes and by it, He let's me see my own sickness, and I despise myself. Praise Jesus! Whenever I look about and see what's not being done by others, the Lord puts me to another test, where I am laid bare, and I find out I've deceived myself again. Seems my heart must be ploughed and weeded continually, and guarded. It is true that what God can do through one person, just one person, can blow minds away. Start with me Lord! Do what Thou will, whatever the cost! May we all prepare for this, or let God prepare us... Empty vessels, that He may work through us what is good and pleasing in His sight, and not our's.

2011/11/25 11:53Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

Ginny:

I know that to this is to bend the thread a bit, but I just had to comment on what you wrote. I grew up with my grandfather as my best friend. That man was born in 1918 and grew up in a different era. He could do almost anything he set his hands to and was a voracious learner even though his formal education stopped in the 9th grade. He owned his own business and routinely took on jobs that many would have deemed too difficult for his little business and engineered ways to get it done. I learned more than I can even fathom from that man and I know that when he died at age 84 there was still so very much he had to teach me.

We did not watch TV much in my home. We spent our time outdoors getting REALLY dirty playing at work and working at play. Because of that upbringing I too find very little that I cannot do if I apply myself. I was instilled with the basic knowledge of how to use tools and how to solve problems. I thank God for that and would not trade it for anything.

It is not just sexual images but it is entertainment in general. Lots of entertainment is NOT spiritually healthy. I would encourage any Christian who is up to date on the latest TV series and sees all of the latest movies to fast it, cold turkey, for about a year and see what happens to their lives. I believe that 99% of them will never go back. They will realize the desensitizing and numbing effects of modern video entertainment and will not want to go back to sleep again. TV, movies, video, internet, etc. are good tools to get the gospel out and are effective means of communication if used rightly, but they are equally as powerful to communicate the messages that the enemy of our souls wants to instill in us and when embedded in entertainment are subtly infiltrating.

God bless you sister.

2011/11/25 18:59Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy