SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Pray for our brother Tim Tebow

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread

Pray for our brother Tim Tebow

I'm sure some dont know who Tim Tebow is... but he is a brother in Christ and not ashamed of it. He is the quarterback for the Denver Broncos. Ever since he was a college player he has been unashamed to mention Christ every chance he gets. He has had a tremendous effect on many players and coaches, leading some to Christ.

Since he came into the NFL last year the media has loved to beat this guy up. Granted, he is not the greatest QB in the world, but I believe mainly he gets pummeled in the media because of his faith. The talking heads on ESPN an other sports channels would love to see him fail.

This is what Jake Plummer, the former quarterback for the Broncos had to say about Tebow this weekend:

"Tebow, regardless of whether I wish he'd just shut up after a game and go hug his teammates, I think he's a winner and I respect that about him. I think that when he accepts the fact that we know that he loves Jesus Christ then I think I'll like him a little better. I don't hate him because of that, I just would rather not have to hear that every single time he takes a good snap or makes a good handoff…like you know, I understand, dude, where you're coming from ... but he is a baller. He knows how to win and when your teammates believe in you that you can do good things and that's what they are doing. They are winning. That's fun to see."

Whether you like football or not, lets all lift up this young man... our brother. He needs our prayers.

Krispy

2011/11/22 12:46
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re: Pray for our brother Tim Tebow

Hi Krispy,

I was thinking about this last week. Tim Tebow is considered one of the most "polarizing" players in football right now. He is certainly a talented QB who shares his love for Jesus Christ at each and every opportunity.

He is the son of missionaries to the Philippines who was home-schooled in Florida. However, the state of Florida allowed him to play football for his local high school. He has a tremendous work ethic -- and even played a legendary football game in high school with a broken leg.

He won two NCAA National Championships and a Heisman Trophy (the award for the best college football player) while attending college at the University of Florida. However, during all of his breaks from school, he would travel to the Philippines to assist missionaries (including as a surgical assistant).

Tim Tebow has been under enormous scrutiny by the media. He was hated by some for being part of a subtle anti-abortion commercial that aired during the Super Bowl. He was scrutinized for wearing Scripture passages during internationally televised college football games. The media scoffed when he was asked by a journalist if he was still a virgin (he said that he is). The media even began mocking his one-knee prayer stance on the sidelines during recent football games.

After Thursday night's game, my brother-in-law called and asked me if we had heard the game. Even though Tim Tebow led his underdog team to a surprising victory over the New York Jets (a team where many players and coaches almost pride themselves on being immoral), my brother-in-law was more impressed with the post-game interview. Tebow talked about how football isn't nearly as important as how he lives his life completely for the honor of God. He is using his money from football to help missionaries in the Philippines (where he was born). His organization is currently building a hospital in the slums.

When I read about Tim Tebow and how he is a tremendous athlete that wins with a very unconventional technique and shares his faith constantly, I can't help but think of Scottish athlete Eric Liddell.

Eric Liddell was a two-time medalist for Great Britain in the 1924 Olympic Games upon which the Academy Award-winning film CHARIOTS OF FIRE was based. He was born in China as the child of missionaries. He was a tremendous, raw athlete with a very unconventional style of running. However, he was enormously talented. He once won a race after being knocked down! He got up and ran from 20 yards behind the other runners to win the race! Liddell's style of running in the home stretch was to hold his head back, look up with his mouth wide open.

Eric Liddell struggled with whether or not to compete. He was worried about running for the temporary glory of men or becoming an idol. However, he reasoned that it was God who gave him this talent, and that he could use it for God's honor.

After winning the gold medal in the 1924 Olympics (in an unaccustomed race that he had not practiced), Liddell eventually returned to China as a missionary. He died during World War II at a Japanese prison camp. According to an interview in his biography, Liddell's last words were in reference to a question by a fellow prisoner at the camp regarding his testimony of giving his life to Jesus: "It is complete surrender."

It is remarkable how much Tim Tebow's life mirrors Eric Liddell's. I suspect that, one day, Tebow will eventually return to the Philippines as a missionary.

My wife and I have been praying for this guy. We pray that he will maintain his testimony and continue as a shining "city on a hill" for others in this increasingly dark world.

http://tinyurl.com/ericliddell001

http://tinyurl.com/gotochurch001

2011/11/22 15:16Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Hi Krispy,

Here is a response from Tim Tebow regarding the comments that you mentioned:

http://tinyurl.com/usatodaytebow

Tim Tebow responds to Jake Plummer's comments on his faith
By Nate Davis
USA TODAY
22 November 2011

A day after former Broncos QB Jake Plummer said in a radio interview that he wished the man currently taking the snaps in Denver, Tim Tebow, would curb his references to Jesus Christ and his faith, Tebow responded.

Asked about Plummer's remarks in an interview on ESPN's First Take, Tebow said:

"If you're married, and you have a wife, and you really love your wife, is it good enough to only say to your wife 'I love her' the day you get married? Or should you tell her every single day when you wake up and every opportunity?

"And that's how I feel about my relationship with Jesus Christ is that it is the most important thing in my life. So any time I get an opportunity to tell him that I love him or given an opportunity to shout him out on national TV, I'm gonna take that opportunity. And so I look at it as a relationship that I have with him that I want to give him the honor and glory anytime I have the opportunity.

"And that's how it works because Christ comes first in my life, and then my family, and then my teammates. I respect Jake's opinion, and I really appreciate his compliment of calling me a winner. But I feel like anytime I get the opportunity to give the Lord some praise, he is due for it."

Plummer had this to say Monday on XTRA Sports 910 in Phoenix:

"Tebow, regardless of whether I wish he'd just shut up after a game and go hug his teammates, I think he's a winner and I respect that about him. I think that when he accepts the fact that we know that he loves Jesus Christ, then I think I'll like him a little better. I don't hate him because of that, I just would rather not have to hear that every single time he takes a good snap or makes a good handoff.

"Like you know, I understand dude where you're coming from ... but he is a baller."

Asked by ESPN's Skip Bayless if God makes him a better football player, Tebow would only grant that his faith gives him peace and comfort on the field.

Before the interview began, Bayless blasted Broncos executive vice president of football operations John Elway for not supporting his young quarterback, who has gone 4-1 this season since being installed as the starter.

Tebow declined to get caught up in any perceived slights from the organization, saying he remains thrilled by having the opportunity to start and play in the NFL.

http://tinyurl.com/usatodaytebow

2011/11/22 20:49Profile
Areadymind

Pacific Ocean

Re:

I hope this is not a distraction from this noble thought, and I will be praying for Tim Tebow now that I am more informed. What an encouragement!

Here is an interview that ESPN did with Randal Cunningham recently. It is a pretty powerful testimony about how he has come to trust the Sovereign Lord in every temptation of faith.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=7208355&fb_source=message

2011/11/22 21:42Profile

Re: don't be so quick to jump on the band wagon

Watch the clip below and tell me which book Tebow is reading at 7:25?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBkGZGVNqzg&feature=related

I myself am very inspired by Tebow, having played football in high school, I really come to appreciate his desire to win. I really admire his tenacity, his will to win which overcomes his slow, awkward throwing motion, lack of accuracy and other deficiencies.

I feel for him as he is being over-criticised. The lack of support even from the Broncos management, etc.

He is a standup guy and pretty much does all the right things but just because he is a "good guy", I wouldn't say he is a biblically sound christian.

And this is coming from a guy that likes Tebow a lot.

I also like Kurt Warner a lot, another stand up guy, read his autobiography and watched countless videos about him but
started to have doubts when I found out he is on the board of directors for Joyce Meyer's ministry. On the same board with the likes of Paul Osteen of Lakewood church.

Deion Sanders's pastor is T.D. Jakes

Evander Holyfield's pastor is Creflo Dollar

Maybe its a good idea to take these guys with a grain of salt.

What if Tebow decides to reside on the Board of Saddleback church one day?

Should we pray for Tim? Most definitely but I would just ask to always use discernment especially with celebrities, athletes, etc.

Am I saying that he is definitely not a true believer because he was reading Purpose Driven Life in that video? no , but I'm not gonna prematurely write him off as a true believer having watched that.

I'm not discrediting Tebow's humanistic efforts but in the end it still can be humanism, no? Doesn't Rick Warren do the same things, goes one mission trips, spends money on the poor, build hospitals, etc. But why is Tebow getting a pass here? It's cause we all like him. I like him. but just because we like him doesn't mean he is sound.

Just imagine watching Paul Washer's documentary with him reading a copy of Purpose Driven Life, would that not cause an uproar on here?

2011/11/23 2:00

Re:

Codek... long time no see brother.

I would be careful here, you cant write off someone because they read the Purpose Driven Life. I know that is not what you were trying to do, but it was close.

I know a lot of dear brothers and sisters in the Lord who read that book, but that does not mean they will someday be on the board of directors of Warren's church.

The fact is, being deeply involved in the homeschool community I have been aware of Tim Tebow BEFORE he ever played a minute of college football, not to mention the NFL. I knew who he was when he was in high school. Why? Because Florida was on the cutting edge of helping homeschool athletes be able to participate in Varsity and collegiate sports in the public schools. I was personally involved in trying to get that type of legislation passed here in NC. (it keeps getting shot down)

So I have had my eye on Tebow for a long time now and he and his family have been nothing but consistant. The times I have heard him give his testimony he has presented the gospel of Christ clearly and directly.

Would I say I agree with all of his personal doctrine? I doubt I could say that about anyone! What that means is that they are not 100% correct... and I certainly not 100% correct. I love my pastor, but I dont necessarily agree with him 100%!

Who knows why he was reading that book! I have it on my bookshelf. I read it. It does not mean I am drinking the Warren kool-aid. While I certainly do not recommend that book, and while I think Warren is a wolf... the fact is there are some good things in that book. There are some bad things about the book.

He may have been reading it for the same reason me and many others did... we heard a lot about it, heard there was a lot wrong with it, and decided to read it for ourselves so we could talk about it intelligently.

By the way, you cant really read that book and then call Warren a heretic based upon that book. There are a lot of other things that Warren has done and said that get him labeled a heretic... but that book really cant be labeled as "heretical". And it's possible that Tebow doesnt know a thing about Warren. Someone may have given him that book as a gift and he may know nothing about it. He may have read it and decided it was junk... and moved on.

Do you know otherwise?

There are a lot of people who come here to this forum and critisize and judge books and preachers... but have never read the books or listened to the preacher they are criticizing. That is foolish. So maybe thats why he was reading it. Do you know otherwise? Betting you dont, brother.

But when we start judging people (and thats what you did) based on a video where the person is reading a book that we dont like... and especially casting a shadow of doubt upon their salvation (and thats what you did)... thats wrong, brother.

You're venturing into legalism and self righteousness. "He was reading that book... how could he?" C'mon... we should know better than that.

There are Christians who judge me not to be saved based on the music I like. Seriously! There are.

By their fruits you shall know them. I've been watching the fruits of Tim Tebow for about 7 or 8 years now. He's the real deal.

Krispy

2011/11/23 5:49
Joyful_Heart

Re:

Amen!

Will most definitely be praying for this dear Brother in the Lord. He is the real thing. I pray God uses him to bring the whole Denver Bronco team to Salvation! Jesus lives big in Tim. God uses whom He wants and where! Go Broncos!

A, not obsessed, Bronco fan!

Praising God that His ways are not our ways and He refuses to be put in a box on how He chooses to use us. Glory to God!

Love you all!
Sheri

PS didnt get to read all the posts. My post is just me and not directed at anyone at all.

2011/11/23 19:42Profile

Re:

I am not at all into football or any thing sporty unless I am right there among a whole pile of people, watching the sites and sounds of exuberant fans.

Everyone needs prayer and I pray that he becomes all that he can be in God.

2011/11/23 20:00

Re:

Krispy,

reread your post. You probably are a good guy but you don't realize how much of a hyprocrite you are.

You favor Tebow and you're giving him the benefit of the doubt. Do you know Tebow or why he was reading The Purpose driven life? I don't think so.

What I was saying was take everything with a grain of salt but a video of any professing christian reading that book would raise flags.

So by your own logic, you have disproven your own theory. And also YOU "judged me" while not KNOWING ME. I told you to not reply in my threads until you did so but you keep replying with only judgement. So you are guilty of the accusation you lay on me.

I asked you to get to know me by email or a phone call but you refuse repeatedly yet you continue to JUDGE me without knowing me.

THAT'S WHY I CAN'T RESPECT YOU OR YOUR POSTS.

And yes if I was self professing Christian reading a The Purpose Driven Life on video, that raises flags, nothing is definite either way but it does raise flags and you just let it past without a second look. WOW

It doesn't matter if I'm Tebow or if I'm some no name child in a 3rd world country. Anyone would have to be tested in that situation.

And you judge me and I have never done a video of me reading The Purpose Driven Life.

2011/11/26 22:38

Does anyone remember Tiger Woods???? How many of these sports celebs you hear who have been caught up in the immorality of this age. I think it is great that Tim Tibow speaks about Christ the way he does. So he reads Rick Warren. Good grief I have read Rick Warren. Can't see what the ruckus is about. The book has some good things. Blow off the stuff you don't like. Not everyone is going to listen to Paul Washer.

The man stands for Christ and should be respected for that.

Blaine Scogin

2011/11/27 0:00

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy