SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Struggle with sin

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
davidkeel

West Sussex, England

Re: Struggle with sin

I can't say that I have had the same experience of the general method of deliverance of sin as what is being taught here. And it does truly make me wonder if these methods are just hopeful words and not the real truth. Simply because the idea of being gradually weaned off our worst sins is never taught by Jesus

I had severe sexual addictions which consumed all of my being and generally destroyed my walk with the Lord. I now stand here and speak as someone who never lusts.

To say you can't overcome your sins and you will probably be like this in your lifetime just isn't true. But it's an incredible blindness the church is captivated by... in the hope they don't have to enter a hard path and turn away from the things they secretly enjoy.

I won't make this too long. But as a very young Christian I read a best selling Christian testimony of a man who was in prison and who intended to murder one of the guards. He had a knife in his prison cell. In the night Jesus appeared to him in the cell and told him 'I am Jesus. If you want to follow me you will have to drive the evil out of your heart'.
I completely shunned this testimony as it didn't fit in with my theology.

About ten years ago, I felt that God showed me that I was going to die ... shortly after this i became very ill and terrified that I was not ready to meet God. I believed he would expose all of the wrong thoughts I had had in my life.

I asked God to give me a month or two to repent. I went out each night and prayed ... every time I had a wrong thought that would begin to tempt me I shunned it choosing not to enjoy it's pleasures. I began breaking the habit of a lifetime and emotionally began to change towards sexual temptation. It took about 5 weeks and I felt that I had overcome the temptations.

I'm pretty fed up with people having theories which leave repentance and a hard road out.

Take every thought captive...

from David.

2011/11/21 12:07Profile
Sree

Re:

Quote:

I can't say that I have had the same experience of the general method of deliverance of sin as what is being taught here. And it does truly make me wonder if these methods are just hopeful words and not the real truth. Simply because the idea of being gradually weaned off our worst sins is never taught by Jesus

I had severe sexual addictions which consumed all of my being and generally destroyed my walk with the Lord. I now stand here and speak as someone who never lusts.

I praise God for your testimony.
You need to understand that sexual sin is not just the only sin that you had. Deliverance from Sexual sin does not mean that you became Christlike. You need to keep seeking the Holy Spirit every day until the day of Lord.
What I have told here is not non scriptural. Paul clearly said that 'anyone who thinks he stands let him take heed that he does not fall'. This does not mean that you should feel insecure about your salvation but it means that you need to keep relying on God every single day.

2011/11/21 13:16Profile
davidkeel

West Sussex, England

Re:

Hi Sree, yes I agree with you ... I need to be careful. We are human and prone to temptation.

Thanks for not getting angry with me about what I said.

I have also been set free by taking every thought captive of other major sins in my life. I did have hatred for my mother and lots of other people. I never feel hatred now and have compassion and forgiveness for nearly everyone I see or meet.

When you begin to repent God redirects the course of your life from being a so called "unlucky" person to one who has their life transformed by God... well that is my experience in my life. I long to share this with others who feel bound by their sin which is why I have written this.

2011/11/21 14:02Profile
Sree

Re:

Quote:

I long to share this with others who feel bound by their sin which is why I have written this.

This is exactly what Jesus spoke in Acts 1:8. We will live has his witness. Not just witness him by words but live as a witness, sharing our testimony.
Nice to see that you did not get offended by my reply. Praise God.
There is an article here on Brokenness. I just read it and I believe you will apprecaite it aswell.
https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=20464&forum=34

2011/11/21 14:14Profile

Re:

We just need to be careful that we dont venture off into promoting "sinless prefection". There is no such thing. That is not taught in scripture either.

Show me a man who claims to be perfectly sinless, and I will show you a man who's sin is pride (and lying).

Krispy

2011/11/21 16:40
Dlight

Re:

2011/11/22 9:38Profile

Re:

Dear KrispyKrittr

Please would you give your definition of sinless perfection for clarity. Thanks

Brenda

2011/11/23 5:44

Re:

Some refer to it as “Total Sanctification”, which means that a believer can reach such a state of sanctification in this life here on earth that they never have a sinful thought or action. This is clearly false, especially when you read the book of James. James writes, "For we all stumble in many things. If anyone does not stumble in word, he is a perfect man, able also to bridle the whole body" (James 3:2).

So, is James not saying here that a man can indeed be perfect? No, because only a few verses later, he comments, "But no man can tame the tongue. It is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison" (James 3:8).

James is stating as a fact that no man can tame even the tongue to the point of perfection, not to mention his whole body. People who claim sinless perfection are calling James a liar and are calling the Scripture a lie.

Certainly we should strive to tame the tongue. We should strive to live holy and extract sin from our lives. But it is unrealistic to expect perfection when the Bible itself plainly says such perfection is impossible.

That's the whole point of the gospel!

1 John 1:8 states simply, "If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us."

Think about this… if someone says they have reached sinless perfection in this life then it could be argued that they do not have the truth which is a light that exposes to us how dark and sinful we really are in our flesh. That is a dangerous place to be.

And what of humility? How can a man or woman claim they are perfect, and make that claim with humility? In my estimation a humble person would never claim such a thing even if it were true.

1 John 1:8-10 says, "If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar, and His word is not in us."

If we claim we have no sin in our life… but the truth is that we do… then we can not confess that sin. Without confession there is no forgiveness. If we say we have not sinned we call Christ a liar.

Some think this is referring to before we are saved. No, who is this being written to? The church, believers.

NOW… positionally spiritually, in Christ, we are made perfect. That happens when God saves us. When our hearts are regenerated. We are made clean and forgiven and justification makes us positionally holy. We take on Christ’s righteousness spiritually. This is clearly taught in the Bible… but sinless perfection in our flesh is never taught in the Bible. People have to mangle and do violence to scripture in order to smash “sinless perfection” into it.

Krispy

2011/11/23 11:15
brodav9

Sylacauga Alabama

Re: answers

I hope that I can be helpful here as have much teaching on perfection. In Matt. 5:48 it says be ye perfect even as your father in heaven is perfect.
In a second's thought we know it is not possible to be perfect as God. If we can understand what he is saying there then we won't be confused.
We think in a full tense what is being said sometimes and miss what is being said. If we were asked to pick up the telephone we immediately go to the one near by. Maybe they were saying go to the store accross the street and pick up the phone.
Hope you see my analogy.
Be perfect as your father is dealing with the previous statements before the verse.
righteousness is perfection. If you give food to a hungry person that is a righteous deed. That is a example of perfection.
We must keep our coarse to always be righteous in all we do---proof--Col.3:17 whatsoever you do in word or in deed do all in the name of Jesus.
That means do all for the glory of God----that is righteous and according to God's standards. Those things which line up with the word of God are perfect for the bible tells us of many righteous things to do. They are perfect because they come from God.
1Jn.1:9 tells us we are restored to God's pleasure when we apologise his way. In God's eyes we are seen as perfect because we are made total clean by the blood of Jesus. i will always be seen as unclean and called self righteous.
It is only God who can justify us and call us forgiven .
If we live a life full of sin we will be seen unrighteous. We must surrender our lives to God and not straddle the fence of sin. Jesus paid the high place of death to remove sin so we would seek to live in perfect righteous standards given us.
I might add, he has also given us a covenant of benefits and rewards to be incentives for living what is called the new life. The old man must be put to death.Gal.2:20
This new life is a life of faith and trust. It will cost us everything as true disciples. Lk.9 and 14 chaps.
Lot's wife looked back and became a pillar of salt. Jesus says he that puts his hand to the plough and looks back is not fit for the kingdom. It is only by the help of th Holy Spirit in us that we can do all these marvelous things. I am blessed as I look at all the times mercy and forgiveness has restored me. There is a difference between mistakes and doing sin on purpose. We can pray the prayer our father which art in heaven---coming to the part where it says deliver us from evil. He makes a way of escape as we keep our eyes on him. God bless.

2011/11/23 11:30Profile

Re:

Krispy

I know that you do not believe it is then ok to sin, we must seek holiness. So you think that it is inevitable that man will fall occasionally. So what is his position between falls?

2011/11/23 12:54

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy