Discussion Forum : General Topics : The Battle Hymn of the Republic

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
White_Stone

North Central Florida

Re:

Hello Creation7,

You said, "I can't say I think it's that great; I mean, "I have seen Him in the watchfire of a hundred circling camps...etc."

Come on, really? Did the writer really think Jesus, The Prince of Peace, was supporting these bloody killers?"

How could you no think Jesus would be there. If the soldiers prayed to Him, He would be with them. Not all soldiers are 'bloody killers.' That is such a harsh judgment of practically a generation of men.

Have you ever read any of the compilations of letters from soldiers to wives & family? They were, from what I have read, nearer to God then most men I have met today.

Jesus did not tell the Centurion, who asked that his servant be healed, stop being a soldier. Soldiers fight wars, that is what they do. A majority of the men in that war were conscripted, I believe. I have pity for them and their families. The politicians were the evil ones then, the same holds true today.

white stone

2011/11/18 22:52Profile
Creation7

Re:

Quote:
How could you no think Jesus would be there.

I do think He was there, in the sense that he is onmipresent, but I do not think He was supporting killing.

Quote:
If the soldiers prayed to Him, He would be with them.

I'm not really sure what you mean by "with" them. Do you mean it in the sense that He supports those people's endeavours who pray to Him? Scripture makes it clear that just praying to God does not make Him a fan or supporter of what you're doing.

Quote:
Not all soldiers are 'bloody killers.'

True, but by associating and approving and supporting the whole mess, soldiers are responsible for the bloody killings. It's the "aiding and abetting" concept.

Quote:
Have you ever read any of the compilations of letters from soldiers to wives & family?

Yes, I have.

Quote:
They were, from what I have read, nearer to God then most men I have met today.

If they were not following the basic command of Jesus, "Love your enemies", and in fact going to the opposite extreme-- butchering their enemies-- though they had a form of Godliness, they were not close to God. If you are to love your enemies, you are not close to God if you are warring against them (thereby disregarding His commandment). "If ye love me, keep my commandments."

Quote:
Jesus did not tell the Centurion, who asked that his servant be healed, stop being a soldier. Soldiers fight wars, that is what they do. A majority of the men in that war were conscripted, I believe. I have pity for them and their families. The politicians were the evil ones then, the same holds true today.

I hesitate to get into this whole issue here on the forum; if I did, I think our "non-moderators, moderators" would shut it down. :D I'd be happy to discuss this with you over email, though.

2011/11/19 17:05Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy