Discussion Forum : General Topics : The Battle Hymn of the Republic

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
looserchapel

Brest, France

The Battle Hymn of the Republic

Greetings all,

I come across this wonderful "hymn" (The Battle Hymn of the Republic)quite unexpectedly, and I really like it. The melody is quite impressive and the lyrics are just waw!!!

IMHO we need to grasp the reality of the Jesus (who is marching on, i translated that as who is coming back)she described, swift to execute revenge, Holy, Powerful, etc.

Any thoughts?

2011/11/17 14:01Profile
White_Stone

North Central Florida

Re: The Battle Hymn of the Republic

Are you speaking of the American Civil War, Union Army Song?

check here for songs of North and South http://www.civilwarmusic.net/songs.php

The Battle Hymn of the Republic should still be our National Battle Song. Praise Jesus, they will soon outlaw the singing of any song like this. Lord willing, the more they outlaw these things the more they will be sung. At least at our home.

white stone

2011/11/17 14:47Profile
looserchapel

Brest, France

Re:

Yes, that one. But how come it is (just) another "patriotic" song? forgive my ignorance (i'm not american), for me it sounds more like a victorious song for the Glory of Christ...

2011/11/17 16:28Profile
White_Stone

North Central Florida

Re:

Hi looserchapel,

"But how come it is (just) another "patriotic" song?"

You didn't hear that from me. I love to hear the song sung. The words are wonderful. It was a different Country at the time of that dreadful war. In their own ways, to me, both sides were right, but the Nation could not be allowed to divide. Brother fought against brother in that war. Families were torn asunder. The South was wrecked and still has not completely recovered from the war or the 'Reconstruction' that followed.

I was born in the North and have lived the majority of my life in the South. I would not want to be in the position to ever have to make the choices those people were forced to make.

The song, since it was used as the Yankee song now is viewed as Racist. Although in my opinion there is nothing Racist about it.

Regards,
white stone

2011/11/17 18:17Profile
Creation7

Re: The Battle Hymn of the Republic

I can't say I think it's that great; I mean, "I have seen Him in the watchfire of a hundred circling camps...etc."

Come on, really? Did the writer really think Jesus, The Prince of Peace, was supporting these bloody killers? No matter whose side was right. It never ceases to amaze me how people seem to think God is on some warring people's side. It is the whole mindset that I don't agree with. Read Mark Twain's short story on "The War Prayer" to see what I mean.

Here it is-- The War Prayer

http://warprayer.org/

2011/11/17 18:25Profile
EvangelTam

Re:

Hey this is one of my favourite songs as well its really portrays the glory of Christ as a mighty warrior!

Here is a modern day rendition of it, its really good!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SeI253inco

2011/11/17 19:48Profile

Re:

This song is in a context of a bloody four year war in which a half million Americans died on both sides of the nation. More lives were lost in what we call the Civil War than any war Americans faught in. That includes WW II. The south was fighting to preserve an evil institution that should have been abolished decades prior to the Civil War. The idea of one human being owning another human being is a stench. The north said it was fighting to preserve the union and free the slaves. Yet the northern atrocities speak for themselves.

I think Sherman best said it in his quotation when be said "War is bell". And that is what the Civil War was. And so I cannot get caught up in what we call "The Battle Hymn of the Republic" understanding the historical backdrop of this song.

May I remind us that our allegiance is to the Son of God and a cross not to a flag. May I remind us our citizenship is in heaven and not America. May I remind us Jesus Christ died for our sins and not Ron Paul. Ron Paul can not save you, Jesus Christ can.

I think the song Ray Bolts wrote years ago entitled "I Pledge Allegiance to the Lamb" speaks far more volumes than the battle hymn.

Blaine Scogin

2011/11/17 20:45
looserchapel

Brest, France

Re:

Quote:
This song is in a context of a bloody four year war

I sincerely cannot relate that "weight of history" since I'm not american, but I think you are right, if we are to take the song in the context...

As the other brother suggested (a portion of the song he could not buy into), perhaps I have failed to understand the meaning of some part of the song, but still, I really like the wordings she used despite the background

Blessings,

2011/11/18 7:29Profile
Creation7

Re:

Quote:
May I remind us that our allegiance is to the Son of God and a cross not to a flag. May I remind us our citizenship is in heaven and not America. May I remind us Jesus Christ died for our sins and not Ron Paul. Ron Paul can not save you, Jesus Christ can.

I think the song Ray Bolts wrote years ago entitled "I Pledge Allegiance to the Lamb" speaks far more volumes than the battle hymn.

I could not agree with you more, Blain. Even though Ron Paul is the most Constitutional candidate, he cannot save the USA!! Don't put your trust in poloticians! You will be dissapointed again and again and again. Blain, I'd love to add your quote to my signature, if you don't mind.

P.S. I think Sherman's quote should read, "War is hell". Words were never truer spoken, btw. War is not great, Godly, or something Christians should be engaged in. It is "Hellish."

2011/11/18 12:19Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

looserchapel,

I find your interpretation of this song interesting.I never before considered it out of the context of the American Civil War.

There is another 'war' song [EDIT] some people love to sing, "Onward Christian Soldiers". Never associated it with any secular war, but who knows, it may have been written in the context of a war, I have no clue.

ginnyrose

2011/11/18 22:41Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy